Shellac base coat with Brisa Smoothing Gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellebymonique

Reaction score
Will the normal shellac base coat work under the smoothing gel? In only ask because my brisa base coat hasn't arrived yet.

I would love to help you with that but I haven't tried it. I will be following x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I have done this by mistake just the other week I automatically applied Shellac Base then realised I would be using Smoothing Gel.
When my client came back she had some chips which she normally never has. Maybe coincidence and she just was a bit careless...but I don't really believe in coincidence.

Hi Geeks, I've run out of shellac base coat, can I use my brisa lite base coat under shellac?

Brisa lite is designed to work with shellac you would apply the base coat then sculpting or smoothing gel as required then shellac colour and shellac top coat

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Brisa lite is designed to work with shellac you would apply the base coat then sculpting or smoothing gel as required then shellac colour and shellac top coat

Thank you, just wondered if the customer does not want brisa lite under shellac could I just apply shellac immediately over the top of brisa base as I would normally with shellac base?

I'd like to know if this would work the other way round too! Just out of curiosity really, and maybe if I get caught out or something and have run out of one or the other! (I'm normally pretty good, but I am only human after all :o) Haha.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I once forgot to use smoothing gel and went straight into shellac and it was absolutely fine on brisa base coat, no problems at all x

This seems a bit misleading, I'm sure you mean BL basecoat but I just thought I would clarify :)

If your client requires BL Smoothing Gel, you need to use the BL Basecoat for Smoothing Gel, if you are applying Shellac on top of the Smoothing Gel then you require to use the Shellac Topcoat.

I have merged 2 threads here that asked the same question, I see some people have done this with no problem and maybe in an emergency (late delivery/accidental spill) then you could use the Shellac basecoat, but I definitely found it was not as effective as using the proper BL basecoat.

I have used brisa lite base coat under shellac without the smoothing gel before, but only on myself and I had no problems with it at all. I do have very strong nails tho.

I called Sweet Squared to ask if this could be done and I was told 'no'. The different base coats should only be used with the corresponding system. So, I've never tried it on a client, but worked for me when I had run out of shellac base coat! :)

The reason CND give is that the top film/inhibition layer/sticky layer,whatever you want to call it, is different in both these basecoats.
I can understand this as there is a huge difference in the top film of The Gelish colours compared to Shellac colours, as foils stick so much better to the Shellac top film.

Latest posts

Back