Shellac chipped and completely came away

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lash2012

Reaction score
Really gutted and annoyed with myself. Done a client on Friday and she has just text me too say they have all chipped and some have completely come away. I don't know what i have done wrong as i done everything correct and capped every nail! I have done about 5 people now and no one has complained. Done my own 3 times and my mums twice and ours still look fab! Please help x

Really gutted and annoyed with myself. Done a client on Friday and she has just text me too say they have all chipped and some have completely come away. I don't know what i have done wrong as i done everything correct and capped every nail! I have done about 5 people now and no one has complained. Done my own 3 times and my mums twice and ours still look fab! Please help x

Sounds like she has picked. Clients do. Even I do at times and I know better. Sometimes I just can't help myself .. because I can. they need to know they can't, or it will cost them.

It may be the application was a little too thick? When I first started with Shellac, even after training and practicing I still wasn't applying thin enough. The coats really need to be super super thin (meaning much thinner than classic polish) in my opinion. Usually when I see shellac that has come completely off a client's nails without a trace, it's due to thicker application. That being said, if she's a picker it won't stay on her even if you do everything perfectly. It could simply be that she picks. Just offering another possible explanation.

It may be the application was a little too thick? When I first started with Shellac, even after training and practicing I still wasn't applying thin enough. The coats really need to be super super thin (meaning much thinner than classic polish) in my opinion. Usually when I see shellac that has come completely off a client's nails without a trace, it's due to thicker application. That being said, if she's a picker it won't stay on her even if you do everything perfectly. It could simply be that she picks. Just offering another possible explanation.

I have been using Shellac for more than 5 years testing and since the day it was released. I do not polish super thin; it is the right amount to cover the nail thinly but not opaquely .. next coat can be a bit thicker .. I just polish as I was taught by a professional manicurist .. most people today never get taught how to polish like a professional. Many think they can polish because they have been doing their own nails since they were 10 years old!! There is a big difference between a pro polish job and a home DIY job.

Shellac is so easy when you know how to professionally polish. Right amount .. super-light touch, right technique. Not so easy when you don't .. so I always recommend a class if you have not had one. Makes all the difference in whether the job is done professionally or been done by someone who has not been taught.

I would assume a forum full of professional nail techs would have been taught to polish professionally, right? What I was trying to get across to the OP is that after training and working with Shellac, my application has gotten thinner. I find that when using shellac, I must apply much thinner than I would classic polish.

I would assume a forum full of professional nail techs would have been taught to polish professionally, right? What I was trying to get across to the OP is that after training and working with Shellac, my application has gotten thinner. I find that when using shellac, I must apply much thinner than I would classic polish.

Well we differ as can be seen in every post .. I apply Shellac just like a classic professional polish. And NO .. actually .. what we have found in the UK is that thousands have done a one day manicure course .. gone on to buy Shellac with their certificate and they have no idea at all how to polish having never been taught. They are the ones experiencing the probems in the main.

Best not to assume ... we have no licensing in the UK nor Europe ... and as an American I can also attest to the many who finish cosmetology school in the US having done nails with no idea how to really do them commercially but all have passed their State boards. They still come on salongeek.com with the same questions and insecurities the new techs have here. The serious ones who really train with the best and have the funds to do so are much further ahead when they finish their courses. Sad but true .. you get what you pay for along with continuing support from the training provider if you go for the best. Not everyone can do that which is a shame.

I'm not sure why you continue to bring up older threads, but yes I believe we do have a difference of opinions. I kind of thought that's what made forums useful tools, though. I certainly don't see it as a bad thing to have different opinions on every thread. Gathering different opinions is the whole point, no?

I wasn't aware there was any such thing as a one day manicure course, as obviously I'm in the US and we don't have anything of the sort. I guess I shouldn't assume that all nail professionals know how to polish professionally, but I think I'll continue giving pros the benefit of the doubt as to not seem to be talking down to anyone, if it's all the same to you.

If Shellac didn't need to be applied any thinner than classic polish, why do the Shellac trainers stress "thin to win"? I just meant to share my experience that after thinning my application of Shellac, I've had better results. Certainly wasn't trying to get into a discussion about training standards across the world.

My guess is she has picked. It happens - dont be so quick to think you did something wrong.

Getting back to the ORGINAL POSTERS QUESTION maybe the edges wasnt capped? But thats just a guess - did she send you any pics?

x

Getting back to the ORGINAL POSTERS QUESTION maybe the edges wasnt capped? But thats just a guess - did she send you any pics?

x

The OP has said she capped the edges.

I'm not sure why you continue to bring up older threads, but yes I believe we do have a difference of opinions. I kind of thought that's what made forums useful tools, though. I certainly don't see it as a bad thing to have different opinions on every thread. Gathering different opinions is the whole point, no?

I wasn't aware there was any such thing as a one day manicure course, as obviously I'm in the US and we don't have anything of the sort. I guess I shouldn't assume that all nail professionals know how to polish professionally, but I think I'll continue giving pros the benefit of the doubt as to not seem to be talking down to anyone, if it's all the same to you.

If Shellac didn't need to be applied any thinner than classic polish, why do the Shellac trainers stress "thin to win"? I just meant to share my experience that after thinning my application of Shellac, I've had better results. Certainly wasn't trying to get into a discussion about training standards across the world.

I am not going to become argumentative with you as that is what you clearly want. I welcome difference of opinion just not cynicism, doubt, mistrust and a poisonous injection onto the mix. Posts are supposed to be consructive and your experience is not everyones.

You can give all the benefit of the doubt you want to very nice .. the reason we stress "thin to win" (not super THIN TO WIN) is because there is a need for it as we have found that many PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO POLISH AND THEY USE TOO MUCH .. HERE, THERE AND IN OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD. I have taught in many many countries of this world over 30 years and seen many of the same issues ... bad teaching .. people wanting good education but not willing to pay for it, thinking they can become a pro in 3 days with 5 different systems ... bad trainers and on and on; same here and same there.

I suggest you get to know the forum you are on and just what goes on here 'over the pond' because as far as I am aware we seek to inform with factual information not to be rude or to 'talk down' or to be disrespectful of those who give their time and expertise here to help others to excel in this profession and not to just be 'run of the mill'.

I'm really not sure why you're so aggressive. I haven't argued with you at all. I actually said I don't know why you're bringing up past threads instead of answering the OP's question and letting others do the same. All I did was share my experience with the OP. I never said my experience was everyone's. I thought that's what we did on a professional forum, share our opinions and experiences. I'm not sure of the "poisonous injection" you're speaking of, but I have seen you tell people to stay on the topic of the post. I'm not sure why you're going off the topic to attack me after I simply tried to offer helpful information to the OP.

I'm really not sure why you're so aggressive. I haven't argued with you at all. I actually said I don't know why you're bringing up past threads instead of answering the OP's question and letting others do the same. All I did was share my experience with the OP. I never said my experience was everyone's. I thought that's what we did on a professional forum, share our opinions and experiences. I'm not sure of the "poisonous injection" you're speaking of, but I have seen you tell people to stay on the topic of the post. I'm not sure why you're going off the topic to attack me after I simply tried to offer helpful information to the OP.

Lets not go over the top shall we? No one has attacked you just explaining to you who are not familiar with it, how things are here in the UK and why we teach the way we do. Enough.

I think your calling my comments "cynicism, doubt, mistrust and a poisonous injection" is a little over the top. Can I ask what I said in this thread that you found so offensive?

I think your calling my comments "cynicism, doubt, mistrust and a poisonous injection" is a little over the top. Can I ask what I said in this thread that you found so offensive?

No. you cant. You can pm me if you wish to speak about anything as I am not going to be drawn into what ever it is you want me to be drawn into. I have more dignity than that. And I never said your comments were anything.

Oh god! Im sorry too haven caused any trouble ladies! One thing i noticed.... I painted the colour on and when i looked back at the hand before curing the shellac hand kind of shrinks away from the top of the nail this was on the middle finger and ring . So i i capped them all again and everything looked fine? Im so confused... X

Oh god! Im sorry too haven caused any trouble ladies! One thing i noticed.... I painted the colour on and when i looked back at the hand before curing the shellac hand kind of shrinks away from the top of the nail this was on the middle finger and ring . So i i capped them all again and everything looked fine? Im so confused... X

If your product is shrinking away from the free edge then you probably are applying it a little too thickly..be consious of a thinner application on all 10 nails and see how you go .

If your product is shrinking away from the free edge then you probably are applying it a little too thickly..be consious of a thinner application on all 10 nails and see how you go .

Right ok thanks. So upset this happened though :-(

Do not be sorry at all. You certainly did not cause any trouble by posting looking for advice.

I agree with Rinn. Try applying a little thinner and see if that helps. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back