Shellac - colours that need 3 coats?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxiwoo

Reaction score
Does anyone else have to do 3 coats of some of the Shellac colours? Ones I'm finding look patchy after two thin coats are bicycle yellow, sun bleached, tropix, mint convertible.

Thx

Hi

I never use 3 coats of anything! Maybe you are applying it 'too' thin?

I always remember reading something that Geeg posted about this, it said "thin means thin, not non existent" made me chuckle at the time and it's worth remembering!

In addition to never applying 3 coats I also never have trouble with peeling or chipping (touching wood), so keep practicing until you get it just right.

x

I've got tropix and mint convertible and don't need 3 coats either

Grape Gum! I've even stirred it with a cocktail stick and it's still needs 3 coats x

The only colour I have to do 3 coats with is Grape Gum, I've found even doing slightly thicker coats isn't enough with it! I've also stirred with a cocktail stick and shaken with one of those varnish shaker machines!
It is worth it though Grape Gumbis one of my faves it is stunning after 3 coats :)
Xxx

Grape gum and bicycle yellow looks seethrough and patchy with 2 coats. Lovely colour but hate how it goes on x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sun bleached and cake pop for me. No amount of stirring etc sorts it out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont find i need 3 coats of any colours and agree that alot of techs seem to be doing their coats too thin. I personally get full colour coverage from my first coat of any colour and then do a thin coat for second colour but thats what works for me. Clients get around 3 weeks from it.

I dont have bicycyle yellow in shellac but i do in vinylux. I find yellow a funny colour in any system and probably because there is no real depth of colour, for this reason i would do a layer of white underneath to mask any imperfections etc on the nail plate and give you a good canvas to work on, then apply the yellow. I also do this for colours that i want to stand out more especially as we have no real bright colours in shellac

Bicycle yellow really needs a good shake, I've never had any problems with coverage - infact I find the coverage really good in all shellac colours, I only use 2 coats, I've learnt that in the past If I've not shaken it enough then it's patchy x

Mint convertible every time! Pretty sure it's not me as I don't generally have a problem. If I use thicker layers it would flood the nail. Don't see too much of a prob though it's never affected how long it lasts and if I was layering id often use three coats anyway

Desert poppy, mint convertible, sun bleached and cake pop.

Tropix for me...

Romantique for me - a gorgeous colour but a right bugger!

Purple Purple for me. I have loads of colours which are all fine, but this always needs 3.

Have to agree about Purple Purple. But in general, all these difficult colours mentioned above can be applied in two coats if you hold a brush parallel to a nail and don't drag the colour, but glide.

Tropix, mint convertible, cityscape, grape gum, cake pop amongst others need 3 coats, if i try to achieve full coverage in 2 coats i end up with flooded sidewalls. And please don't tell me I must be doing it wrong as most other colours (i have all 80 shades) are fine with 2 coats. The new formulation is just too runny to apply with an acceptable coverage in two coats.

my solution is to leave the bottle open (brush removed) as much as possible to enable the solvents to evaporate thus increasing its viscosity...

Last edited:
My opinium: only two coats needed for all colours who appeared till to the year 2012 (2012 included).

The collections after 2012 have some colours who need three coats to get full cover. It seems that these colours have generally a thinner texture don`t know why.

I think it may also depends on the lot (hope that is the right word). For example: my first bottle Rubble had a covering power with two coats. My second bottle I made often three coats because I was not satisfied with the result of two coats. My third bottle has a wonderful covering power again with only two coats. Second example with Tropix and Purple Purple, where some of you say three coats for full cover is needed. I have my first bottles of Tropix and Purple Purple yet, bought it directly after apearing. Wonderful cover with only two coats. Perhaps all new lots have thinner consistency? But that would perhaps mean that my third bottle Rubble comes from an older lot.

@ Curvygirl: very interesting your solution to let the bottles open for a time to let evaporate the solvents. I don`t know if I would dare to do this. For what time do you let the bottles open?

I did my shellac brings them back course in 2011 which in this I were taught to apply very thinly, almost sheer application, more recently I've completed my master artist and in this class the application was thicker than what I was originally taught, I wonder if this has anything to do with the consistency been thinner? X

All really interesting and varied opinions. Thanks to all who responded and will take on board your advice.

I have tropix on now and have only done 2 coats and is perfect for me! the only time I have ever had to do 3 coats is when i was doing layering, added a white coat under tropix and the coat on top of that looked awful...the whole set looked awful even when I finished so no longer layer! x

Latest posts

Back