Shellac dehydrating nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gawjus36

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a number of regular clients using Shellac and a large percentage of them are struggling to keep them hydrated even with regular use of solar oil. They are becoming white, flakey and peeling or splitting. I am beginning to question how good Shellac is for the nails as an ongoing treatment. A lot of my clients are now telling me they want to give their nails a break. I live in an area notorious for its hard water, does anyone else experience this and if so what advice do you offer your clients?

I have one client who has glitter on her shellac and her nails were getting dehydrated. I told her to use solar oil at least twice a day. She came back last week and told me she'd been using it morning, lunchtime and in the evening. Her nails were perfect.

Also, have you shown clients how to use the solar oil? I had a few who weren't applying it all over the nail. Once they started to apply it properly their nails improved.

Yes I too have found this.
x

Many clients say they are using their oil....but not all of them use it riligiously twice a day as recommended and wont admit to that. You can easily catch them out by looking at the size solar oil they have and how long they have it before replacing it.

For example a solar oil pinkie of 3.7ml should last a client approximately 2weeks and a 15ml shoild last approx 5weeks, with twice a day applications. If they have the bottles any longer than that time they are not using it as recommended.

Also, regular use of a highly moisturising hand cream such as scentsations or the almond lotion will also help :) xx

hi hun

a couple of things to consider is upon removal, before wrapping the nails in cnd wraps or foil/magiwraps, apply a little solar oil to each nail. You may also want to consider the length of the clients nails, in as much as are they longer than the client would normally have them. Shellac offers fab protection and many people comment on how much longer their nails grows. This pleases them obviously, but some people just cannot have their nails past a certain length without them becoming more prone to peeling and breaking. Just a thought, this could be what your clients are experiencing.
Finally another thing to consider is the time of year. I know my hands and nails certainly are alot drier than normal. I would suggest the clients use their solar oil at least four times a day, and as someone has suggested already, make sure they know that it must be applied to the nail also to penetrate through their shellac.

I also live in an area of hard water, a good hydrating lotion applied to your clients hands may also help. You could retail cnd scentsations lotion to them also as well as the wash. Despite living in a hard water area, when i pop a couple of pumps of scentsations wash in my pedi bowl the water feels lovely and silky. May boost your retail sales too hun! ;)

Hope some of the info above helps hun.

Love n hugs x x x

Thanks for all of your responses. Notes made, I will definitely be doing more oil during the removal and use hand lotions too!
Thanks guys xxx

The main thing to understand with Shellac with regards to the nails looking white or flakey upon removal, is that nails shed a little everyday, but by having Shellac on this natural shedding cannot take place as its trapped behind the Shellac.
So upon removal, it looks like the nail is flaking, when in actual fact its just the natural nail shed that would have come off daily without even being noticed.
Stress the use of Solar Oil as you have said you do and also explain this process to your clients.
x

Gawjus, I have to ask ... Are you buffing the natural nails .. Even a little bit?
Are your client's who experience dehydration and flaking mature clients; 50's or more? When you remove the Shellac are you over scraping the surface instead of being a little more patient and using a pad and D.Solve to remove any remnants?

I actually fall into that mature category and have worn Shellac more or less continually for 2 years or so and my nails are in very good condition. I never buff my nails .. Not with a 240grit buffer or even a 1200 grit buffer .. It is not necessary.

I remove my Shellac every 17-21 days and I use Solar Oil once only per day (at night when I go to bed so it has all night to work its magic).

So ....
Never buff the natural nail

Older clients have drier nails ... Solar Oil

Do not scrape hard or use metal tools for removal and smooth the surface remnants with a pad and D.Solve.

hTH

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Pink23, I have read that on here before and have explained the process to my clients, it really makes sense.
Geeg, the clients I have I mind do not fall into that category and I do not buff at all, I do use D-Solve and a pad. I'm sure I'm not heavy handed with the removal but I will pay more attention to taking care. I really do think that they are not as careful with their aftercare and are not using their oil as advised. It's hugely annoying but all I can do is give them advice and educate them, the rest is up to them.
I do have a client in her late seventies whose nails are very badly dehydrated and she does use her oil, she buys it by the bucket load! I don't know what I can do for her other than offer an almond spa manicure?

Thanks again for all your help and advice xxx

It is hard when an older client has brittle or very dry nails, because you can only do what you can do and the same goes for the client.

She will never have 20year old hands again anymore than any product will give me 20 year old skin again. She can do her best to keep her nails as good as they can be with SolarOli, but you can't reverse nature. :hug:

Latest posts

Back