Shellac faded blotches

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a regular client for CND shellac and they usually last 3 weeks. Before she went away she had the colour gotcha, it looked lovely and she was very pleased.
I spoke to her on the phone today and she said whilst away they had faded white patches like a smartie when you suck the colour off.
Has anyone experienced this? I also did her daughters nails and hers were fine. She said the only thing used differently was an aftersun.
Many thanks

Hi yes this happened to me when on holiday as well....

Here's some info As quoted by Geeg

There are only a few Shellac colours that are prone to fading and these are the softer more semi sheer pinks .. and only the pinks. The pigment in the pinks is more prone to fading and this is unavoidable in all systems. Colour pigments have to be approved by health authorities in Europe and the USA and the approved one is prone to fading !

Why?

1. Because Shellac (and coloured gels) is more porous than L&P or Hard Gel which is why they come off quickly but the down side is they are more vulnerable to certain things.

2. Chlorine is a bleach

3. Sun Bleaches

4. Add the two together and you have double trouble, but a solution is to just dry your fingers and toes when you come out of the pool and then you remove the bleach (or half of it anyway.)

5. Some suntan lotions also break down the surface making it even more porous.

Hth's x

Thank you for this! Glad it's not something I did ☺

Rachel

Sun tan lotions containing the product DEET will also cause colour fade. The advice to clients going away on holiday is after swimming in a pool or applying sun cream to rinse and dry their hands thoroughly and this can help prevent fading.

Thank you for this! Glad it's not something I did [emoji5]

Rachel

Your welcome [emoji3] your client described it exactly ........mine looked like a wishy washy strawberry milkshake colour but love her interpretation of a sucked smartie that's spot on lol x

Le chat scarlet stars does this, only the red fades though (it's a colour change) the blacky purple stays perfect!?One of customers noticed it when she went to Egypt and I thought it was the intense sun, but when I went skiing I was obviously wearing gloves and the sun couldn't get to my nails and it was fading. I then assumed it was chlorine from the pool I swam in everyday in the spa after skiing BUT the customer didn't go in the pool in Egypt.

Latest posts

Back