Shellac frustrations!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxnails2015

The sole man
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm sorry to post a bit of a rant but ere we go. I'm really sick of seeing people posting shellac treatments when they're actually using gel polish! Nothing wrong with gel polish but why do people falsely advertise gel polish as shellac? Do these professionals need to get educated? Views please?

Hello everyone. I'm sorry to post a bit of a rant but ere we go. I'm really sick of seeing people posting shellac treatments when they're actually using gel polish! Nothing wrong with gel polish but why do people falsely advertise gel polish as shellac? Do these professionals need to get educated? Views please?
Drives me nuts too !! (And I'm not a nail tech!!!) x

I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!!

I use gelcolor and get this ALL the time

Reminds me of this i shared on fb a while ago.. Lol

Attachments

• 1e6c87e2e294565b53bddb50490de6b8.jpg
    1e6c87e2e294565b53bddb50490de6b8.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 274
Well I'm glad some people agree. I use shellac. And it's not that I'm being snobby but when I have people say"well I can get shellac for a tenner" it does my head in. Ruining the industry. We are professionals and should take pride in being honest to our clients. There's a few people who went to collage with me doing it on there pages! I really want to say something haha! Let's start a campaign! [emoji12]

I think its because some people think shellac is the name of the treatment, not the brand name

Im sure its why some people wont have me do their nails
"Do you do shellac?"
"No, gelcolor, a different brand"
"Oh.."

Guarantee they wont book then lol. Oh well

Yes we do need a campaign.. Hahaa

Well people need to know what they're getting. So they then know then benefits of gel colour and shellac and know there is a difference!

This is, from my experience that clients think gel is shellac. They are unaware that shellac is a brand. Poor little mites

I had someone once
'Hi do you do shellac nails and how much?'
'Hi there, I use Gelish, it's a different brand etc, and it's £18'
'Yes but can you do shellac please'
(????)
'Yes sorry, I use gelish it's a different brand and I have plenty of colours to choose from'
'Yes but I want the white tips'
She thought shellac meant French (facepalm) she must have though I didn't have a clue! [emoji30][emoji30]

There will always be this confusion :) People still say they are going to Hoover the house, when they could be using a Dyson or other brand of vacuum cleaner :) Shellac is just the brand that sticks in peoples mind.

I think it's important to explain what shellac is to people as many don't know exactly so when you say you use a different brand that's meaningless.
I say
Shellac is brand of gel polish. That the polish that lasts 2 weeks where you put your hand under the lamp. Here we use (whichever brand you use) which is another big brand of gel polish. You will have the same results. Stronger nails that stay looking perfectly polished for 2-3 weeks though.

Then they fully understand and if they are someone who actually knows about different brands and specifically wants shellac then that's fine they go elsewhere but 9/10 clients just want gel polish and want the to book in.

A salon close to me is offering 'shellac' at about £15 - BUT all of their advertising and price lists etc say 'Sheilac' - am wondering if it's a genuine typo or some rip off counterfeit product - it's a repeat mistake so I think it may be the latter. Very, very annoying!! X

Lady in my village is offering 'colour changing Shellac' for £15.

<headbang>

There is a confusion. I don't remember my school telling us Shellac is only the brand. They make it sound like it's a type of gel that takes more time to get off. That was my understanding too.
I admire you guys being honest in your business. A lot of nail techs just look at the customer like a sale so they don't care about being honest. Keep it up you guys

Last edited:
Thanks chuck! I think it's better to be honest and professional if you want loyal customers. Might take longer to make a good customer base but at least you know they will be keepers!

Personally i've not met anyone who struggles with the concept of different brands. Some will ask if X product is as good as shellac, or if it does 'the same thing' (And i resist the urge to reply 'no its better it does the dishes for you').

I don't know any mobile techs here but the salon i do know who use bluesky as wel as CND shellac are hoest about this and explain about the products etc.

I think the techs who do do it are either doing it because they don't want to openly advertise that they're using a knock off because they think it will put clients off, or because they are sick of explaining the concept of different brands.

Or Maybe they dont know themselves.

Personally i've not met anyone who struggles with the concept of different brands. Some will ask if X product is as good as shellac, or if it does 'the same thing' (And i resist the urge to reply 'no its better it does the dishes for you').

I don't know any mobile techs here but the salon i do know who use bluesky as wel as CND shellac are hoest about this and explain about the products etc.

I think the techs who do do it are either doing it because they don't want to openly advertise that they're using a knock off because they think it will put clients off, or because they are sick of explaining the concept of different brands.

Or Maybe they dont know themselves.

It's not just knock offs like bluesky though.
A place can be using a professional, reputable brand but some advertise or say it's shellac because so many customers think gel polish is called shellac. Still not good of course.

It's not just knock offs like bluesky though.
A place can be using a professional, reputable brand but some advertise or say it's shellac because so many customers think gel polish is called shellac. Still not good of course.

Yeah, i use Gelaze from essential ails. I've not had anyone struggle with the concept yet haha. They sometimes just ask if its thesame as or like shellac etc.

I've just seen this on FB [emoji21]

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1439539307.304199.jpg

Shellac fingers.. With blue sky [emoji24]

Latest posts

Back