Shellac/gel polish training compulsory? Just my opinion after nightmare removal!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockinthe80s

Reaction score
I had a new client in yesterday wanting removal of Gelish and re-application of Shellac.

However, the product would not budge! I wrapped the nails with magi wraps soaked in CND dsolve. Left them on for 10 mins and "Gelish" still perfectly intact. I then had a thought that I had read somewhere that the top coat on Gelish needs to be buffed off prior to soaking. So did that, re-soaked and still nothing AT ALL. I may as well have soaked in water for all the difference it made.

I then ended up buffing entire product as I couldn't see any other way to get it off. Removal took me over an hour!

Client said she had her nails done in Latvia with what she kept calling Gelish. I asked her what the bottles looked like and she said they were not white bottles but rather ones that looked like my CND shellac, but it wasn't shellac she says. So it wasn't Gelish then right??

Client is now coming back tomorrow for her shellac application as I didn't have time to do it yesterday in end because the removal took so long!

After having buffing it off, one of the clients nails have been damaged which I'm presuming has been caused by me. I'm so disappointed. But I didn't know how else to remove this product. We soaked and re-soaked, even between buffing I was still soaking, but it made absolutely no difference. Even the tiniest bits of polish left on, the bits that normally come away with a wipe of d solve would not budge with a full soak.

I have never had to deal with something like this before and panicked a bit. I'm worried I've damaged clients natural nails now 😞

I'm unsure how to handle this when she comes back tomorrow?

I have to say that my removal process needs improving in general. I'm waiting for dates in the shellac brings them back in my area.

I really think some sort of gel polish training should be compulsory for professionals buying any sort of gel polish system. I don't think manicure training is sufficient to be using gel polish systems. It would only but improve the quality of our industry and protect the product/brand in question.

I am desperate to do the training, but have been waiting on dates since the beginning of November and nothing yet, so waiting and feeling very under-confident. 😥
I

Last edited:
I agree... All new treatments should be trained in ... I've done 2 course's in gel polish alone & my Shellac Brings them Back which was by far the best... All my further training and refreshers will be done through CND now xxx good luck on your course x

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but really you shouldn't be using products you don't fully know what you're doing with

Gel polishes need removing with either the same brand remover or pure acetone, buff the shine off and use saturated pads placed over the nail and wrap in foil, should take 15mins max

Just put it down to experience and hopefully your clients nails will be ok once the shellac is on

I agree... All new treatments should be trained in ... I've done 2 course's in gel polish alone & my Shellac Brings them Back which was by far the best... All my further training and refreshers will be done through CND now xxx good luck on your course x

Thank you. I can't wait to do my CND training! I've learnt more thru salongeek than I think I learnt on both of previous courses!

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but really you shouldn't be using products you don't fully know what you're doing with

Gel polishes need removing with either the same brand remover or pure acetone, buff the shine off and use saturated pads placed over the nail and wrap in foil, should take 15mins max

Just put it down to experience and hopefully your clients nails will be ok once the shellac is on

Thanks for your reply. Is dsolve not the same as acetone? I thought it was, but better. 😔 guess thats where i went wrong..

Should have had compulsory training from the start .
But it turned into a brand war so I IMO some companies saw $€£ signs x

I had a new client in yesterday wanting removal of Gelish and re-application of Shellac.

However, the product would not budge! I wrapped the nails with magi wraps soaked in CND dsolve. Left them on for 10 mins and "Gelish" still perfectly intact. I then had a thought that I had read somewhere that the top coat on Gelish needs to be buffed off prior to soaking. So did that, re-soaked and still nothing AT ALL. I may as well have soaked in water for all the difference it made.

I then ended up buffing entire product as I couldn't see any other way to get it off. Removal took me over an hour!

Client said she had her nails done in Latvia with what she kept calling Gelish. I asked her what the bottles looked like and she said they were not white bottles but rather ones that looked like my CND shellac, but it wasn't shellac she says. So it wasn't Gelish then right??

Client is now coming back tomorrow for her shellac application as I didn't have time to do it yesterday in end because the removal took so long!

After having buffing it off, one of the clients nails have been damaged which I'm presuming has been caused by me. I'm so disappointed. But I didn't know how else to remove this product. We soaked and re-soaked, even between buffing I was still soaking, but it made absolutely no difference. Even the tiniest bits of polish left on, the bits that normally come away with a wipe of d solve would not budge with a full soak.

I have never had to deal with something like this before and panicked a bit. I'm worried I've damaged clients natural nails now 😞

I'm unsure how to handle this when she comes back tomorrow?

I have to say that my removal process needs improving in general. I'm waiting for dates in the shellac brings them back in my area.

I really think some sort of gel polish training should be compulsory for professionals buying any sort of gel polish system. I don't think manicure training is sufficient to be using gel polish systems. It would only but improve the quality of our industry and protect the product/brand in question.

I am desperate to do the training, but have been waiting on dates since the beginning of November and nothing yet, so waiting and feeling very under-confident. 😥
I

The exact same thing happened to me & Im fully trained in shellac so these things still happen.

The woman had her 'shellac' on for 8 weeks! And was not one bit happy that I couldnt seem to remove it & completely said it was my fault that it wasn't budging & was going through my tools & putting them in my face telling me what to use. An hour & a half later it was all gone & no time for shellac.

Since this I don't remove shellac or gel polish done in other salons because 9 times out of 10 it's not Shellac.

Hi there, really sorry this has happened to you. It sounds more like it was a counterfeit version of CND shellac. Like cco or bluesky which is an absolute bugger to remove!!!! It takes forever. That is because those versions are gel polishes. And they stick like hell to the nail because the natural nail is buffed and etched before application and then buffed and etched to remove so the acetone can soak through. The CND D-solve is acetone but it is a nourishing acetone. It's CND owns product which just basicly means it's strong enough to remove the product, yet has gentle properties to protect and sooth the nails after removal. With this product you only need to soak nails for 8 minutes, with acetone it's 10 so the d solve has faster working properties.
Please be reminded that CND shellac is a power polish. So it is more flexible with your nails. More gentle on them, yet has the power and strength to protect and harden the natural nails. Other counterfeit versions of CND hasn't had vigorous testing, it isn't patented therefore it can and will damage clients nails over time.
I would just educate your clients, and tell them that if it doesn't say CND on the bottle, it isn't CND in the bottle!!! :)
Say that her nails are fragile now after having this product on her nails, but now she is using the genuine CND shellac her nails will retain their strength and continue to grow.
This will say more about you now than it does about the other salon if you can keep your clients well educated.

Nicola! Xxx

It's too bad this happened to you, but training isn't going to solve the problem. If people are willing to use counterfeit products, this will continue to happen. Most of the major brands have some form of training, education and customer support. Counterfeit products market to those who don't want to "bother" with all that. I think you have to be honest with your client and tell her that you suspect that what was used on her wasn't the genuine CND Shellac and that it caused some significant difficulty in removing it. When you apply the real CND Shellac, point out the differences to her and tell her that you are looking forward to her next appointment for removal so you can show her what a difference using genuine professional products make.

That said, perhaps you might want to consider waiting until you've had the proper training yourself so that you can feel more confident in your own skills.

Ah you poor thing, that sounds like a nightmare!! I had a similar thing happen and could not shift the thing, it's so stressful when you're with the client too.

From now on I always say that if the client has gel on that has been done at another salon then she needs to have it removed before she comes back. That way I don't get worried when taking gel off that I haven't done.

Good luck, and hope your training goes well xxx

Thanks everyone for your supportive and helpful replies. I will indeed let her know that I don't believe her product was Gelish or shellac.

It's a shame that such counterfeit products exist. I'm just worried about facing the client tomorrow with damage that seems to be caused by me. She didn't say anything at her last appt, I'm concerned she tomorrow and blame me, which to an extent was actually my fault.. I shouldn't have buffed it all off!

Guess you live and you learn, I will not be making that mistake again.

Am I correct in assuming that in this situation again, I should soak in pure acetone if I'm unsure what the product is? Will it be more vigorous than the DSolve? Thanks guys x

Thanks everyone for your supportive and helpful replies. I will indeed let her know that I don't believe her product was Gelish or shellac.

It's a shame that such counterfeit products exist. I'm just worried about facing the client tomorrow with damage that seems to be caused by me. She didn't say anything at her last appt, I'm concerned she tomorrow and blame me, which to an extent was actually my fault.. I shouldn't have buffed it all off!

Guess you live and you learn, I will not be making that mistake again.

Am I correct in assuming that in this situation again, I should soak in pure acetone if I'm unsure what the product is? Will it be more vigorous than the DSolve? Thanks guys x

Nails Magazine Dec 2012 had an excellent article mostly by Doug Schoon about avoiding damage. You might want to take a look at it. Nails Magazine - DEC 2012

I think that you have to view such situations as an opportunity to educate and secure a new client. In these situations, you have to be very upfront with the client about it. Let them know that you can't be sure what is on their nails or how it was applied and therefore, to avoid damage to their nails, removal might take quite a while. I think when they understand what you're trying to do for them, clients are a lot more patient. When they see the wonderful final result, they'll be hooked.

The OP had a problem removing god knows what from a clients nail. Training in Shellac will make no difference to the difficulty all of us have had removing some old tat a client has had put on her nails, that they will swear is Shellac. I love the fact that you can do Shellac extremely successfully without doing the training - as has been said on here, it's as easy as painting on varnish. It is great to have the training, but this wouldn't have helped removal of something that isn't Shellac anyway.

Chin up, and good luck. Rubbish products are the bane of all our lives. Try and educate the client and help them grow out what is clearly a poor product x

The OP had a problem removing god knows what from a clients nail. Training in Shellac will make no difference to the difficulty all of us have had removing some old tat a client has had put on her nails, that they will swear is Shellac. I love the fact that you can do Shellac extremely successfully without doing the training - as has been said on here, it's as easy as painting on varnish. It is great to have the training, but this wouldn't have helped removal of something that isn't Shellac anyway.

Chin up, and good luck. Rubbish products are the bane of all our lives. Try and educate the client and help them grow out what is clearly a poor product x

I understand that shellac training may not have necessarily helped me in this instance. However, I do think theres a lot more troubleshooting when it comes to gel polish over normal polish.

Soaking off polish is a completely different concept to the removal of normal polish.

Technicians are constantly needing assistance, even those with manicure qualifications, on the application/removal of gel polish.

I don't think it should be compulsory to do shellac training in particular, but I really think it would benefit the industry as a whole if training in any one gel polish system at least, was compulsory before being able to purchase gel polish products x

Dsolve is not CNDs Shellac remover - it has been designed to remove Shellac. CNDs remover is called power polish nourishing remover xx

Dsolve works perfectly well with CND Shellac. It is what was originally used before Nourishing remover. I use the Nourishing as I much prefer it but Dsolve is fine for removal of CND Shellac.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Dsolve works perfectly well with CND Shellac. It is what was originally used before Nourishing remover. I use the Nourishing as I much prefer it but Dsolve is fine for removal of CND Shellac.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know it does I am currently using it, I have some CND nourishing remover to try next so I can compare the two. I was just saying that Dsolve is not CND that's all x

The CND D-solve is acetone but it is a nourishing acetone. It's CND owns product which just basicly means it's strong enough to remove the product, yet has gentle properties to protect and sooth the nails after removal. With this product you only need to soak nails for 8 minutes, with acetone it's 10 so the d solve has faster working properties.
Nicola! Xxx

Sorry but this information is incorrect.
D'solve is not CNDs own product but was actually sourced ( alongside D'colour and D'Sperse) by the uk distributor S2 for us they are only available here in the U.K. It contains buffers which stops the harshness of the acetone but still will dry out the nails. It also still takes 10 minutes to work.
CND Shellac Nourishing remover was designed by CND and contains macadamia nut oil to help prevent the drying on the natural nails with repeated removal of CND products such as CND Shellac, BRisa Lite and L&P. It is this product that will work on CND Shellac in 8 minutes.
Jen x

Sorry but this information is incorrect.
D'solve is not CNDs own product but was actually sourced ( alongside D'colour and D'Sperse) by the uk distributor S2 for us they are only available here in the U.K. It contains buffers which stops the harshness of the acetone but still will dry out the nails. It also still takes 10 minutes to work.
CND Shellac Nourishing remover was designed by CND and contains macadamia nut oil to help prevent the drying on the natural nails with repeated removal of CND products such as CND Shellac, BRisa Lite and L&P. It is this product that will work on CND Shellac in 8 minutes.
Jen x

Alright! Calm yourself down petal!!!
No need to physically take the time to point that one out trying to make yourself sound more professional and higher experienced than me... I really don't take kindly to things like that!
As explained already in this thread... In pretty new to all the CND stuff so I'm still getting used to the products and names etc!!!! What I explained was in fact the exact same as you had pointed out... However I got mixed up eith the nourishing remover and the d solve! Shoot me now I'm a terrible therapist because I got mixed up with a couple of different products!!! God!
Dear me I'm the only person in the world to do that!

Nicola! Xxx

"Busy bee" (jen) is a cnd educator so she does know her products.

Latest posts

Back