Shellac, how much cuticle should be exposed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs001

Reaction score
Hi Ive just had my shellac done and it seems to me she left quite a bit of cuticle exposed, ive attahced a pic, is this correct or a bit too much? Sorry pic is a bit blurry :(

Attachments

• shellac.JPG
    shellac.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 362
  • shellacnails.JPG
    shellacnails.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 390
How long was the shellac on when you took the photo?
did you tell the tech when you noticed the free magin was so wide?

LOL, i had it done TODAY! ive never had it done before and just thought she knew what she was doing? Didnt complain as I didnt know if I had the right to :( So, If its NOT supposed to be like that, I will go back up and ask they redo it.

I have no experience with this system but personally, even with normal polish or gels I hate a big gap and all my old clients felt the same. It just always looks like it hasn't been finished. I know you're not supposed to go right up to the cuticle but I always go as near as I possibly can as I think it "looks" so much better

Hi Ive just had my shellac done and it seems to me she left quite a bit of cuticle exposed, ive attahced a pic, is this correct or a bit too much? Sorry pic is a bit blurry :(

Hope my pic works, i did this shellac myself last night its Fedora with Tutti Frutti over to create a purple, as you can see this is how close it is to my cuticle, but you have to be careful not to get it on skin/cuticle as this can cause the shellac to lift an then it could chip or peel.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 327
Hmmm, just a bit gutted now as obviously they wont last long as they already look as if they have a weeks growth :( With your pic, you have done them to a sort of point too, whereas these are painted straight across :(

Hope my pic works, i did this shellac myself last night its Fedora with Tutti Frutti over to create a purple, as you can see this is how close it is to my cuticle, but you have to be careful not to get it on skin/cuticle as this can cause the shellac to lift an then it could chip or peel.

Yep, this is how close I would do it too ;) looks sooooooo much nicer close to the cuticle :)

do you think I have a right to complain? Also, who the hell do you complain to if the manager wont do anything as I didnt say anything at the time?

Attachments

• shell.JPG
    shell.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 260
Hmmm, just a bit gutted now as obviously they wont last long as they already look as if they have a weeks growth :( With your pic, you have done them to a sort of point too, whereas these are painted straight across :(

I would go back to her you have paid for a professional job to be done and are not happy. You can only go in and speak to her see what she will offer you. Sorry this has happened to you. You mean to a point with my cuticle, i have just gone with the natural shape of the cuticle just so its neat.

I would go back in and see what she'd do for you. This already looks like you have a week's regrowth. Perhaps take her pics of properly done nails if you'd like. Check out the Shellac lover's group and you'll see plenty pics posted there. These weren't well done.

Last edited:
do you think I have a right to complain? Also, who the hell do you complain to if the manager wont do anything as I didnt say anything at the time?

You ABSOLUTELY have a right to complain. I would call the salon today and tell them you didn't realize that Shellac shouldn't have such a big gap at the eponychium area. Also, I've never seen the line of polish go straight across.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

That's shocking! They look too thick from the photos also, I cannot understand why she has left such a large gap? Complain for sure!

Thanks everyone for replying, I went back and she was going to fill them in but consulted with her boss, and redone them, she tried to make out it was personal preference how close to the quick to go, still not 100% perfect but I can live with them for now. Live and learn :rolleyes: I sooo want to offer it now myself as I know I can do so much better but will have to save now for a course :( LOVE the product tho :)

Thanks everyone for replying, I went back and she was going to fill them in but consulted with her boss, and redone them, she tried to make out it was personal preference how close to the quick to go, still not 100% perfect but I can live with them for now. Live and learn :rolleyes: I sooo want to offer it now myself as I know I can do so much better but will have to save now for a course :( LOVE the product tho :)

That cracked me up! I once complained that a chicken burger wasn't cooked in Tootsie's and the waitress came back and said the chef had said, it's meant to be like that:rolleyes:

These people must think we just fell off the Christmas tree.

it was personal preference how close to the quick to go

"Personal Preference?" Who's, her's? Really? Who paid for the service? Seems like your personal preference is what should matter, not hers.

"Personal Preference?" Who's, her's? Really? Who paid for the service? Seems like your personal preference is what should matter, not hers.

Absolutely! :)

Latest posts

Back