Shellac just peeling clean off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brervixen

Reaction score
Hi.

I had a customer on NYE who has had Rockstar nails on, within 2 days 1 nail had peeled off so I went round yesterday to do a fix. When I went round to fix there was no signs that she had peeled the nail off herself, it just popped off, her nail was perfect underneath.

Today she's text me to say that a further 2 nails have just come clean off.

I am trained by CND so following all their steps, and using all their products.

I do:

Cuticle Away - remove cuticle.
Cleanse with soapy water.
Scrubfresh.
Base Coat 10sec.
Colour Coat 120sec.
Colour Coat 120sec.
Glitter burnished in.
Zillionaire 120sec.
Top Coat 120sec.

I'm doing all the coats as thin as I think they should be. Shaking bottles very well before use... I don't think I could get the base coat any thinner!

Can anyone shed some light on why this may be happening!

I'm going round there soon to remove all and re-apply with just a plain colour this afternoon.
I feel terrible that they're just coming off as this shouldn't happen!

Help!!

Are you leaving a small gap around the nail, free of glitter? I had this problem a couple of times with Gelish, but it was where I hadn't left a free margin for the top coat to adhere properly xx

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

When I do glitter Shellac I only do 1 colour coat, I find that 2 makes it too thick and then they peel easier (or the clients find them easier to pick off!).

Karaxxx

I do just one coat of colour too,press the glitter in and then top coat. Depending on the glitter I sometimes do a second coat of topcoat :)

I've been thinking of only doing 1 colour coat. I will give that a try next time.

I redid them so here's to hoping!

I've been thinking of only doing 1 colour coat. I will give that a try next time.

I redid them so here's to hoping!

Good luck I've got rockstar on my toes that I did at the beginning of dec (I know it lasts loads longer on toes) but still showing no signs of budging! :)

I am not a nail technician but is it not down to her type of nails. I have had Shellac done a few times by a nail tech who I know produces excellent work which usually lasts, but on me it has peeled after a few days. Apparently it is nothing to do with the work the tech has done but because my own nails are prone to peeling so as the nail layer peels off, sadly so does the polish xx

Good luck I've got rockstar on my toes that I did at the beginning of dec (I know it lasts loads longer on toes) but still showing no signs of budging! :)

Thanks, I've still got rockstars on my toes from September! Haha!

I have many clients who've had no trouble with my rockstars... it's strange. We were chatting about it today and she thinks her nails may be excessively oily. I've used nail fresh this time so we'll see

Thanks, I've still got rockstars on my toes from September! Haha!

I have many clients who've had no trouble with my rockstars... it's strange. We were chatting about it today and she thinks her nails may be excessively oily. I've used nail fresh this time so we'll see

That's fab! Haha.
Maybe when you prep use a 240 file instead of a buffing block (that's how I got taught anyway if the nails were particularly oily) just to make sure :)

That's fab! Haha.
Maybe when you prep use a 240 file instead of a buffing block (that's how I got taught anyway if the nails were particularly oily) just to make sure :)

There is no such thing as excessively oily nails as nails do not produce oil.

If you have dehydrated sufficiently and please, no ... Zero ... Buffing, then your Shellac should not be peeling. NailFresh used along with ScrubFresh will super-dehydrate if needed.

If your bulbs are not current and not clean and are under-curing then this could cause peeling.

Bendy nails cause product to loosen.

Wet nails cause product to loosen.

There is no such thing as excessively oily nails as nails do not produce oil.

If you have dehydrated sufficiently and please, no ... Zero ... Buffing, then your Shellac should not be peeling. NailFresh used along with ScrubFresh will super-dehydrate if needed.

If your bulbs are not current and not clean and are under-curing then this could cause peeling.

Bendy nails cause product to loosen.

Wet nails cause product to loosen.

Thanks Geeg, :) I don't buff at all when doing Shellac, this is actually a selling point for me!! No buffing, no damage :)

Bulbs are the original ones I got with lamp. I got my lamp late July/Early August. What am I best cleaning my bulbs with? D.Sperse?

I asked client did she have her nails in water a lot and she said no, not any more than usual.

Thanks Geeg, :) I don't buff at all when doing Shellac, this is actually a selling point for me!! No buffing, no damage :)

Bulbs are the original ones I got with lamp. I got my lamp late July/Early August. What am I best cleaning my bulbs with? D.Sperse?

I asked client did she have her nails in water a lot and she said no, not any more than usual.

Quite right .. No one should ever buff the natural nails when using Shellac ... It is one of the key USP's of the product. :hug:

You can turn your bulbs over so that the clean side is facing the nails, or you can remove them from the lamp and I use a sharp thin knife to knock the gel off the bulbs. The bulbs are tough believe me. You shouldn't really use any solution on the bulbs to remove cured gel from them. It comes off quite easily with a knife.

Quite right .. No one should ever buff the natural nails when using Shellac ... It is one of the key USP's of the product. :hug:

You can turn your bulbs over so that the clean side is facing the nails, or you can remove them from the lamp and I use a sharp thin knife to knock the gel off the bulbs. The bulbs are tough believe me. You shouldn't really use any solution on the bulbs to remove cured gel from them. It comes off quite easily with a knife.

I was only suggesting a buff if nails are oily. Scrub fresh is normally sufficient enough!

I was only suggesting a buff if nails are oily. Scrub fresh is normally sufficient enough!

The oily surface on the nails can be dehydrated gently.

There is no such thing as oily nails (despite people using 'oily nails' an excuse for service breakdown at every opportunity).
Nails do not make oil.
Oil from outside influences can be cleaned off using CND products.

Buffing a nail plate is not the way to remove oil from the surface, ever.

If you want a recipe for disaster ...

If you want to go against CND protocol ...

If you want to thin and deteriorate the condition of the clients natural nails ....

... then by all means keep buffing those natural nails rather than removing contamination the professional way and with gentle methods that ensure the good health of natural nails.
Buffing may be the way for the gel you use but it is not the CND way when using Shellac.

I understand that you may have been 'taught' to do this ... But you were not taught correctly nor with CND education so I am making sure that others reading this information hopefully, do not follow it.

Last edited:

There is no such thing as oily nails (despite people using 'oily nails' an excuse for service breakdown at every opportunity).
Nails do not make oil.

Buffing a nail plate is not the way to remove oil from the surface, ever.

If you want a recipe for disaster ...

If you want to go against CND protocol ...

If you want to thin and deteriorate the condition of the clients natural nails ....

... then by all means keep buffing those natural nails rather than removing contamination the professional way and with gentle methods that ensure the good health of natural nails.
Buffing may be the way for the gel you use but it is not the CND way when using Shellac.

I understand that you may have been 'taught' to do this ... But you were not taught correctly nor with CND education so I am making sure that others reading this information hopefully, do not follow it.

Wow,not quite sure I deserved this reply?! 😳
But yes with some systems and the other one I use you have to buff the shine off not excessive filing just a simple buff over. I know that isn't needed with shellac and didn't need the lecture.
I appreciate you know your 'stuff' but belittling people isn't needed!

This is partly why I don't usually add to people's posts, due to some nail techs being really nasty towards people!!

Here here! I agree. Discuss....don't criticise...everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Kellypt was just giving and sharing her own experiences and advice.

God there's giving tips and advice and then there's just giving lectures!!! Would really put me off commenting or creating topics on this as I would be worried of receiving a belittling reply like that! Respect for knowing your stuff and all but jeeeeez!!!

This is a post from Gigi on another thread that I have copied for you, hope it helps X

Nails do not make oil.

Sorry that was meant to to somewhere else lol!!

To lighten the mood here, I think that a gentle buff is all that was and is used by you girls, not sanding down the nail plates like skirting boards 😄

Latest posts

Back