Shellac lamp sizzling sound and bulbs blown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy1005

Reaction score
Hello,
last night I was in the middle of a Shellac mani with a new client (who booked online via Wahanda) and there was a sizzling sound, burning smell and 2 bulbs on the left blew! I was horrified, and didn't know what to do/say. I kept apologizing and luckily the lady was nice but I felt awful. She is going on holiday tomorrow morning so wanted me to to try to do the mani, but though we tilted her hand to try to maximise the exposure on the side the bulbs were working, I cannot guarantee the service. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it likely to be a power surge or something blew in lamp? I tried it a couple of times and heard sizzling. Then I unplugged lamp and replugged in another socket and then sound stopped, and tried it a few times, it worked (though bulbs were blown). So in the end, because the client wanted to try to salvage the mani due to lack of time before her holiday to get it elsewhere I finished the treatment. I've asked her today and it seems to be cured, it's still intact. I am worried about doing another treatment though. I have bulbs in another brand of UV lamp at home which seem to be the same specification so I will try them this evening to see if it works as there is no way I can reorder bulbs before the weekend. I haven't finalized the appointment (to get Wahanda to pay me) as yet. Should I charge the client in full, give a discount, or cut my losses and as a gesture of goodwill not charge for this as I cannot guarantee it will last 2-3 weeks as usual? It was her first Shellac manicure ever so I feel bad about what happened although it wasn't my fault. :Scared: What would you do?

thank you
Cindy

It is a common fault with the lamps at the moment. There are lots of people with the same problem.

I wouldn't perform the shellac application if using a different lamp as its against manufacturer instructions so if anything did happen you would be stuck.

There are others that have used a generic lamp whilst they are dealing with the lamp issue but its up to you whether you go down that road.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You need to call the people you bought the lamp from, presumably S2 or Ellisons x

It is a common fault with the lamps at the moment. There are lots of people with the same problem.

I wouldn't perform the shellac application if using a different lamp as its against manufacturer instructions so if anything did happen you would be stuck.

There are others that have used a generic lamp whilst they are dealing with the lamp issue but its up to you whether you go down that road.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would be using the same CND lamp but potentially with bulbs from another UV lamp (they have the same specification) potentially this weekend if I have a client. The lamp and all our electrical equipment was PAT tested 2 months ago in accordance with requirements of the gym, so I'm really surprised this happened. I bought it from Sweet Squared about 1 year ago.

I would be using the same CND lamp but potentially with bulbs from another UV lamp (they have the same specification) potentially this weekend if I have a client. The lamp and all our electrical equipment was PAT tested 2 months ago in accordance with requirements of the gym, so I'm really surprised this happened. I bought it from Sweet Squared about 1 year ago.

I think you'll find it's the sockets that are bad, not just the bulbs. It's a common fault with these lamps. There are many threads about it. Contact S2 and see if there's anything they can do for you. I would just use your other UV lamp while you wait to see if S2 can replace it. Obviously, it's not recommended to use Shellac with a generic lamp, but I would do it instead of canceling appointments. Many UK techs were forced to do this a few months ago when there was a shortage of lamps and many of theirs went out the same as yours.

Ok thanks for the confirmation that it's not just happened to me. I've just rang S2 and they said to try swapping bulbs around to see if it's the bulbs that are faulty. Then if it doesn't work, send them the lamp, but since it's out of warranty I have to pay postage. Then they will test it and see if it's faulty I would be sent a replacement. I'm a bit horrified at the whole scenario though, I work on evenings and weekends not full time in beauty, and I do many treatments apart from Shellac so my lamp has not been through that many uses. Thankfully the client didn't get burnt but it was scary all the same.

Hi Cindy,

I had this exact same problem with 6 separate CND lamps! Sweet Squared were brilliant though and replaced every one, and they ultimately admitted there had been a manufacturing fault with a batch of their lamps. If you've had it less than a year they will replace it. I've not had a problem with my most recent ones so the issue seems to be sorted.

Vivien, 6 lamps?! I don't think I could handle that stress. My lamp is out of warranty as I purchased it in May 2013, but they may replace it if it is faulty. However she stressed that that one will have no warranty, so I'm not too sure how that will go. I will have to wait and see. I'm going to send it in for testing for safety, I wouldn't want to be sued for damage to anyone.

One of our lamps burnt out the other day, we have had it for 4 years though so was just going to buy a new one, are the lamps ok that are for sale on sweet squared at the moment or are they still having issues?

I bought one four months ago... it blew just turning three months old... I was raging... it's just not good enough... no other company would allow this to keep happening if there was a manufacturing problem they should have all been recalled. Even though they may be quickly sent back and a new one received the therapists reputation instantly gets a negative hit! Never mind loss of earnings... I've had to keep my trusty 9 year old uv lamp close for back up.

Hi guys!I was planning on ordeing a lamp and just found this today, does anyone who recently bought any had any issues still or have they sorted this problem now? x

You poor thing!
As those lamps cost am absolute bomb in Australia, i would be steaming!
Many techs myself included have used generic lamps with shellac polish, I've NEVER had any problems. Maybe you could use it to get yourself through this as a back up, then go back to your CND lamp once it's been repaired/replaced.
Most CND girls will probably tell you that your client's fingers will fall off or explode if you do, but for a temporary fix, you'll be fine.
Perhaps you could tell your clients that your regular lamp is being serviced, and you're using a lamp with the same wattage altho not the same brand, just to make them aware.
Good luck.
(Before i get jumped on, i no longer use CND Shellac as i couldn't justify spending $450 on a lamp. ...)

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry i didn't realise was an old post, it just popped up. ....

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back