Shellac lifting-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm think I'll start buffing the nail and using the gellux bonder.

This brand heavily markets itself as being kind to the natural nail & needing no buffing.

Your peers are moving away from buffing. It is unnecessary, old fashioned, damaging & against manufacturer instructions in the case of Shellac (and OPI). Gelish, artistic, gel II, all gel polish… the general consensus is we can do without buffing if we’re vigilant in prep.

Gellux primer will work. Any primer would glue the product on. But good luck removing it!

Buffing coupled with harsher removal techniques will quickly result in the deterioration of your clients’ nails. At which point you will lose their business & your reputation. To negatively impact on 2 core attributes of a shellac service seems counterintuitive.

Nail fresh is a last resort product intended for those experiencing abnormal adhesion problems. It is not for standard use in a shellac service. Scrubfresh & cuticle away are lower in combined cost than nail fresh so it would be more sensible to simply buy the correct prep products.

This brand heavily markets itself as being kind to the natural nail & needing no buffing.

Your peers are moving away from buffing. It is unnecessary, old fashioned, damaging & against manufacturer instructions in the case of Shellac (and OPI). Gelish, artistic, gel II, all gel polish… the general consensus is we can do without buffing if we’re vigilant in prep.

Gellux primer will work. Any primer would glue the product on. But good luck removing it!

Buffing coupled with harsher removal techniques will quickly result in the deterioration of your clients’ nails. At which point you will lose their business & your reputation. To negatively impact on 2 core attributes of a shellac service seems counterintuitive.

Nail fresh is a last resort product intended for those experiencing abnormal adhesion problems. It is not for standard use in a shellac service. Scrubfresh & cuticle away are lower in combined cost than nail fresh so it would be more sensible to simply buy the correct prep products.

Please read the full thread.
Where I work do not provide me with the full CND system. Just the shellac polishes and many are old and thickened. Because of this I've been having problems with clients having lifting.
I have to find a way around it using what they provide me.

So I'm think I'll start buffing the nail and using the gellux bonder.
I think I might buy some nail fresh myself. Is this ok to use instead of scrubfresh? I'll cleanse with the orly cleanser then use nail fresh. What do you think?

I have read the thread.

The way round it isn't diluting a shellac service even more than currently & causing needless trauma to the nail in the process.

You have stated you are prepared to buy nail fresh.

That, to me, seems illogical if you won't buy scrubfresh or cuticle away which are fundamental elements of the service & cheaper.

I have read the thread.

The way round it isn't diluting a shellac service even more than currently & causing needless trauma to the nail in the process.

You have stated you are prepared to buy nail fresh.

That, to me, seems illogical if you won't buy scrubfresh or cuticle away which are fundamental elements of the service & cheaper.

It definitely isn't cheaper. I'm also not allowed to take my own possessions into my work area. A massive bottle of scrubfresh and cuticle away is going to be more obvious than a small vial of nail fresh.
I have cuticle remover. That's not the issue.
I already use a nail cleanser and dehydrator. A stronger dehydrator like nail fresh I thought was worth trying as clearly the cleanser and dehydrator aren't enough.
I'd prefer to have the whole shellac system and lamp and shellacs that haven't been ruined but I don't have that option.

I think my solution would be to look for another salon to work at...I know.. I realize this may not be easy.. and it's a long term solution. In the mean time I would check the actual ingredients in the prep products you are supplied. My guess is this is a combination of everything, the cuticle remover might have an oily or waxy ingredient in it.. It might be better to not use that remover ( don't shoot me..) Maybe just spritz with water to soften? Could be the bulbs in the lamps need replaced, the orly nail cleanser might have a waxy or oily ingredient too. Maybe try the slightly soapy water and the nail dehydrator instead? The thickened/old colors.. Maybe try to steer clients away from those colors... It sounds like the owners are cutting many corners. I have heard of salons trying to thin shellac!! ( I know it makes me want to pass out at the thought!) It's a long shot I know but have you tried talking to the owner about product loyalty? Maybe when items need to be replaced they can replace them with CND products? Maybe no one has had a conversation about this with them? All of this aside.. I would be looking for a new place. ✌

I think my solution would be to look for another salon to work at...I know.. I realize this may not be easy.. and it's a long term solution. In the mean time I would check the actual ingredients in the prep products you are supplied. My guess is this is a combination of everything, the cuticle remover might have an oily or waxy ingredient in it.. It might be better to not use that remover ( don't shoot me..) Maybe just spritz with water to soften? Could be the bulbs in the lamps need replaced, the orly nail cleanser might have a waxy or oily ingredient too. Maybe try the slightly soapy water and the nail dehydrator instead? The thickened/old colors.. Maybe try to steer clients away from those colors... It sounds like the owners are cutting many corners. I have heard of salons trying to thin shellac!! ( I know it makes me want to pass out at the thought!) It's a long shot I know but have you tried talking to the owner about product loyalty? Maybe when items need to be replaced they can replace them with CND products? Maybe no one has had a conversation about this with them? All of this aside.. I would be looking for a new place. [emoji111]

I like the job at the moment it's just this particular issue.
The company are a national one so I have no contact with the managers at the top that make the decisions on products/stock unfortunately. Requests on product changes would never even reach them.
I am thinking of changing the bulbs in the lamp thank you that's an idea. I've been comparing the ingredients in the cleanser and dehydrator. The orly one is meant for their gel polish so I don't believe it is oily but I do worry the dehydrator is wrong as it's completely different ingredients. That's why I was going to get some nail fresh.
I've thrown out the worst of the thickened shellacs. It's getting replacements that's the issue [emoji37] I'll end up with no colours lol!
I haven't been there long so don't want to change jobs yet as it looks bad on CV.
Thank you for you ideas [emoji5]️

Are you making sure to really scrub the nail with scrub fresh? I scrub it until I hear it squeak!
I know CND don't recommend this but if I notice a client has considerably smooth or oily nails I will give them a very light buff with a soft buffing brush before scrubfreshing. Just a quick once over. I've found its really helped my retention on some clients who's nail were previously lifting.
Actually - CND and us - LOVE to hear the squeak of ScrubFresh!

I don't have scrubfresh I'm given an orly nail cleanser. I do really scrub the nail and sometimes use prep and clean dehydrator too. Other members of staff keep telling me to use gellux fast bond but I worry as its so against everything CND say!
I'm aware I don't have all the right products which is frustrating but I have to make it work with what i have. They give these products to all the nail techs across the company and they aren't having problems I've been told.

Krum I haven't gotten to the bottom of this post - but if the company you are working for, are not giving you the correct and branded products to use with the correct system - expect problems - period! We are all aware that systems work differently but no one can tell you why problems are happening when systems / brands are being mixed. I feel for you - but this is why there are problems. and if I were a cleint of that salon I would be mad, that I wasn't getting the service I was paying for.

Any person out there, professionally trained and using the CND Shellac system correctly, doesn't have problems - rarely ever (although there are some consumers who just don't get on with certain coatings) - and that really tells you all you need to know!! Best of luck!!

Old topcoat has been discontinued so stock up ladies. Existing stock is all that's left. After that it's Xpress5 all the way!!!

Excuse me? This is not the case - there are many that love traditional Shellac Top Coat and CND will continue to produce both and let the market decide what is preferred. I have been wearing Xpress5 since it was introduced this year and have had no problems with gloopiness or yellowing but it IS a different consistency to traditional Shellac Top and is definitely thinner hence why Shellac can be removed in 5 minutes.

I have sent many of these comments to CND but please - for the love of all things nails - ask us here at Sweet Squared before posting for all the world to see - these type of comments which only serve to mislead others. I appreciate that wasn't the intention... but this is exactly what happens - what I am thrilled about though Helen - is that I got great feedback to give to CND for Top Coat thoughts in the field...so thank you for that :)

Last edited:
I do apologise everyone & Samantha aka Mrs Geek I had taken info from somewhere else and assumed wrongly it was correct! That'll teach me. Sorry

Excuse me? This is not the case - there are many that love traditional Shellac Top Coat and CND will continue to produce both and let the market decide what is preferred. I have been wearing Xpress5 since it was introduced this year and have had no problems with gloopiness or yellowing but it IS a different consistency to traditional Shellac Top and is definitely thinner hence why Shellac can be removed in 5 minutes.

I have sent many of these comments to CND but please - for the love of all things nails - ask us here at Sweet Squared before posting for all the world to see - these type of comments which only serve to mislead others. I appreciate that wasn't the intention... but this is exactly what happens - what I am thrilled about though Helen - is that I got great feedback to give to CND for Top Coat thoughts in the field...so thank you for that :)

You have restored my faith thankyou I love my topcoat and don't need to change something that isn't broken so to speak ...I understand that CND always strive to improve and that's fantastic but I'm glad for the time being the original topcoat is here to stay x

Latest posts

Back