Shellac Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozza92

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've just started doing Shellac Nails but unfortunately are having problems
with them. Within a few days they peel off, but i am doing the application right?
Any advice or tips i could use?

Can I just ask... are you a Nail Professional?

I'm assuming you aren't, as your thread is in the Consumer section.

Shellac is a Professional product for professional use only... you'd really need to have a basic manicure qualification to use it.

There could be a number of things you are doing wrong because you are not properly trained.

yes i am a beauticain, i work in a salon
x

OK... sorry, I didn't realise!

So can you talk me through your steps and what kind of problems are you having?

We'd need a bit more information before we can help :hug:

Sorry new to this site so werent too sure where to write and what to do! :)

First i clean over the nail beds, Then apple the top coat and cure it for 10 Seconds, then apply a thin layer off the colour cure for 2minutes, after i apply the 2nd coat of colour cure for another 2mins, then the top coat for 2minutes, then wipe over with the d.sperser. But within days the shellac is peeling off? i need help! :(

What cuticle work are you doing? Are you using the correct lamp? Do you mean base coat first?

Sorry new to this site so werent too sure where to write and what to do! :)

First i clean over the nail beds, Then apple the top coat and cure it for 10 Seconds, then apply a thin layer off the colour cure for 2minutes, after i apply the 2nd coat of colour cure for another 2mins, then the top coat for 2minutes, then wipe over with the d.sperser. But within days the shellac is peeling off? i need help! :(

No worries! :)

You would need to push back the cuticle and remove all traces of it from the nail plate and then really scrub the nail with scrubfresh to temporarily dehydrate it.

You also mention you apply the top coat... you should be applying the base coat... was that just a typo?

yes sorry i did mean base coat. we wipe over with the sanitizser then apply the base coat. Is there anything else i should be doing?

No i havent seen that before, how does that help with it?
What blue lining do you mean also? i think i am sealing them properly?

You should be using Scrubfresh as it's part of the Shellac system.

If you are not using the correct lamp, the Shellac will not cure properly and this could be your problem.

Where did you buy your Shellac from?

I'm not too sure, my manager brought them but i'm presuming they were all from the CND. But i'm not too sure about the lamp though? could that be one of the problems?

I'm not too sure, my manager brought them but i'm presuming they were all from the CND. But i'm not too sure about the lamp though? could that be one of the problems?

Yes, if it's not a CND lamp, then you will have problems as the Shellac won't cure properly.

There's a lot of fake Shellac out there too at the moment and the only real way you can guarantee it, is if you order from the proper distributor, like Sweet Squared or Ellisons.

Are you working tomorrow?... have a look at the lamp and if it's a CND one, it will be a grey lamp if it's the vintage one and a white one with CND on the top if it's the new CND one.

Ye I think she got it from Ellisons. yea i am i shall have a look.
So the peeling maybe caused because of the uv lamp?
will it have anything to do with the thinness of the colour?

Ye I think she got it from Ellisons. yea i am i shall have a look.
So the peeling maybe caused because of the uv lamp?
will it have anything to do with the thinness of the colour?

If you are experiencing peeling I would say it will have more to do with the product being too thick rather than too thin. (although, if you are using the wrong lamp, then this will be the main reason)

If your Shellac colour looks perfect and not patchy after two layers, then it's not too thin.

With the first layer of coat that i apply, i use a thin layer as if you can still see the nail underneath and then with the 2nd coat i apply it as i am using nail varnish? Is that correct?

Yes the first coat should be thin and will not look like the true colour that is on the Shellac bottle... it can look a little patchy and this is normal.

The second coat of Shellac should be applied the same way, but will look perfect and will look like the colour on the bottle so yes just apply like you would a normal nail varnish and seal the ends as you go.

Yes i've had a look at the videos and that and i think i know what i have to do.
Thank you for all the tips and advice! :biggrin:

Yes i've had a look at the videos and that and i think i know what i have to do.
Thank you for all the tips and advice! :biggrin:

No problem... come back if you are still having problems.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back