Shellac on minors: reduced price or normal price?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curvygirl

Reaction score
i have some regular clients who have asked if I will apply Shellac to their daughters whilst they are off school for the xmas break? (Will get written consent from the mothers before applying)

they haven't asked if the service will be cheaper for their daughters, but should i be charging less? I will be doing exactly the same prep as i normally do, so not skimping on any part of the service.

what do you do?

If you're using the same amount of product and taking the same amount of time, it should be the same price!

Hi. I would charge exactly the same. As you said you won't be doing anything different. Just the surface area of the nail will be smaller. I haven't done this on anyone under 16 but I guess if I was asked I might check with my insurance company first. Just for peace of mind. :0)

Why would you charge less?

I would assume you will still do all the same prep work, application work, after care advice etc etc.....maybe, just maybe you might use one swipe less because the nail might be smaller but that it not worth reducing prices over.

My 10yr old has bigger nails than my neighbor (my neighbor is a client), my neighbor gets charged my normal price.

Pricing does not go on the size of someones nails, if it did, then we would be in a right royal pickle everyday:)

You haven't mentioned the ages of these girls but you should check with your insurance company about any requirements due to their age, before agreeing to do this.

I charge the same price, but I do include a free removal before they go back to school.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I charge the same. As said sometimes the nails are bigger but if they are tiny it might take you longer if fiddly.
Free removal before returning to school is a nice touch.
Vicki x

I'd think twice about doing this. Although the risks of these are minimal, they are increased for children. There is considerable debate about how young is too young for enhancements, including Shellac and other gel polishes. My pediatrician recommends no younger than 14. You should have a minimum age for your each of your services even with parental permission. You should also be in touch with your insurance company about what they will cover.

please don't turn this thread into a debate.

my question is about pricing, not ethics. :|

Definitely charge the same! If your clients haven't asked about it being cheaper, I would think they'd assume it's the same price anyway. For my clients who assume services are cheaper for their children, I explain to them that it is the same amount of work, if not more due to the nature of children moving about, scratching their heads, fiddling, and as someone else said - their nails are smaller making it difficult to apply!

please don't turn this thread into a debate.

my question is about pricing, not ethics. :|

Sorry, you interpret it that way, but this isn't about ethics (although why would you overlook that?). It is about pricing because your insurance is part of your pricing structure. If this is not covered by your insurance, or you must take additional steps, you must price accordingly.

I am yet to come across a salon that does the treatment cheaper for minors and I dont offer it myself where I work. However a student discount could be handy to me ;) ...I wish ha!

I'd say same price & definately not cheaper as there nails are usually that much smaller & much harder / fiddly to work on !

I don't think there is anything wrong with putting gel polish on minors if permission is granted. Its extremely annoying how people turn this into about "ethics" she asked about price not your opinion. If the thread doesn't pertain to you then don't awnser.

I wouldn't charge less. Little nails tend to be a bit more challenging with prep work etc. My cousions who are 14,13 and 11 all have had me apply gel polish (with permission from their mom) just proceed with the treatment as usual :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with putting gel polish on minors if permission is granted. Its extremely annoying how people turn this into about "ethics" she asked about price not your opinion. If the thread doesn't pertain to you then don't awnser.

I wouldn't charge less. Little nails tend to be a bit more challenging with prep work etc. My cousions who are 14,13 and 11 all have had me apply gel polish (with permission from their mom) just proceed with the treatment as usual :)

This thread is more than 6 months old. ... Why would you bring it up again and then 'out of the blue' proceed to speak to another member in such a way? After 6 months I think it is kind of nasty! The whole first paragraph of your post is unwarranted and nothing to do with the original question (which has already been answered) and should be edited out IMHO.

Latest posts

Back