Shellac .. one nail lifted on my mum.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sher16

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

I do my mums shellac every second sunday she is my best shellac client by far lol. She has had it constantly for 3 ish months a different colour/combination every time.

She works for a large well known retail company as a mgr / HR but does daily work on shop floor making sure all okay and ends up on tills alot - she mucks in as she says! So i always say if she can keep it good anyone can, her hands are in tills all day, sorting clothes etc.

She also has very brittle nails but in the last few months they have got so strong stopped breaking and really healthy now.

I did french for her on Sunday using beau and studio white. Usual way i always do- thorough pep etc. She text me earlier saying one of her nails the shellac has come off whole?!

She is my mum so I obviously text back saying "what did you do!"(because i can !!) she says it lifted itself she noticed yesterday it had lifted and this morn says she noticed it had lifted whole but about 1/3 was still attached and at work she probably caught it as she just noticed at one point it was gone.

What the hell?!!!!! This has never happened I have blamed her of course ;)

Annoyed :(

Last edited:
I've had that happen to me before. My guess is maybe you forgot to clean that nail or didn't clean it well enough, or maybe she touched her hair or face and got it a little dirty.

I've had that happen to me before. My guess is maybe you forgot to clean that nail or didn't clean it well enough, or maybe she touched her hair or face and got it a little dirty.

Hmmmm maybe? Although i keep the pad with scrub fresh onnext and normally do one hand at time so scrub fresh then start, so id be surprised...

BUT...they do say your fam/friends are your worst critics/clients haha!!!

Thanks for your reply xxx

Was it peeling from the free edge? If it was, after you have filed and done your pep, make sure you clean under the free edge of the nail removing all debris and then just go round the free edge with the 240 side of a Koala to ensure its a nice smooth seal and wipe under the free edge with scrubfresh.
David

I looooathe doing Shellac french. blah.

I had a client today and say the same thing your mom said. That's the first client who's had an issue since I opened the salon 3 months ago. I probably just didnt scrubfresh well enough or something. No big deal, just gonna redo it!

oh, and i always have to remind myself to SCRUBfresh. not WETfresh. get it? lol

I had the same problem when i did my friends nails a few weeks ago, I think its because i did'nt seal/cap the free edge enough so thats why it lifted and peeled off. Hope this helps you. :)

Did you get the white really thin? I watched a troubleshooter video of Holly's for French and she goes back over the white with no product on her brush to make sure it is really really thin. If it's even the slightest bit thick, that could cause lifting too xx

Did you get the white really thin? I watched a troubleshooter video of Holly's for French and she goes back over the white with no product on her brush to make sure it is really really thin. If it's even the slightest bit thick, that could cause lifting too xx

Maybe this was it? Will make sure my white is crisp and super thin! I did studio white which isnt too thick at all so did touch it up after first coat- maybe that killed it?

Also re wetfresh yeah, lol!

I think based on this either i forgot to scrubfresh that nail, or didnt do it properly on that nail OR my white wasnt thin enough.

I went and fixed it tonight, it came off in two pieces she says and lifted from the free edge. The other 9 fingers are perfect...! Shes been warned to take better care ha ha ha ha ;) shes one of my live marketing/advertising drives so she needs to be careful! She laughed ;)

Also she picked the second bit as she said it was ragged after first bit came off. She got a row!

Latest posts

Back