Shellac problem with new client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siana

Reaction score
I've been Shellac-ing for three years and I've just had my first lady saying they've chipped and lifted after 2 days and and that she's going to have to soak them off herself as she is away for the weekend. This is a first for me! I always make a point of checking my bulbs etc before each treatment so I know it's not my equipment. My other ladies from the same day are fine. Did a full consultation, her nails were in good condition, no splitting or peeling, and she hasn't any underlying medical probs (that she declared in her consultation).

I've told her that Shellac is probably not suitable for her nails if this has happened and she probably needs something tougher. But would you refund if you knew it wasn't a fault with your equipment or application? I haven't offered a refund, and don't want to, as I am confident in what I'm delivering to my clients, but I wonder if I'm being a bit harsh? She's coming back on Wednesday for a patch test for tint and I have a feeling she's going to try for a full refund. What would you do?

Can I ask if you have seen the nails? Has she sent you a photo or anything? If she is unable to come to you to show you if she is away then I would ask for a photo.

How long after the 2 days did she contact you about the nails?

If this is the first ever time this has happened to you then I wouldn't have thought it was anything you had done but what is your prep?

In my opinion a refund is out of the question, especially if she is going to remove them before coming to see you.

I would offer to fix the nails that have chipped but if she is unable to come because she is away and is going to remove them anyway then I'm not sure what to suggest.

I don't offer refunds at all, unless I know in my heart that I have caused the shellac break down or I did something wrong. By giving a refund you are suggesting that you are to blame.

Do you know what aftercare she follows? If any at all? What is her job? Does she use chemicals without gloves etc?

I know it can be awkward but if she removes them herself then you aren't able to fix anything or give her money back and I would tell her that if she asked for one.

If she was able to paint over them for now until she is able to come in to see you then I would fix them at a charge (it's not your fault or problem that she is away)

Unless you have seen the nails then don't refund when she comes in for the patch test, for all you know is she wants a freebie for her weekend away x

Felicity xx

Thanks for your reply Felicity that has made me fell a bit more confident about not refunding. My prep is always done thoroughly - I use cuticle away , scrubfresh etc (I did the Shellac brings them back course last year). I give all my new clients a small bottle of Solar Oil so she had that - I gave her the usual aftercare advice. She's office based, has no children but does a bit of gardening with gloves on. I only did her nails Wednesday and the email came through this morning. I think some people are always going to have problems but I do hate this situation. May have to put this one down to experience!

Thanks again for your reply. x

Thanks for your reply Felicity that has made me fell a bit more confident about not refunding. My prep is always done thoroughly - I use cuticle away , scrubfresh etc (I did the Shellac brings them back course last year). I give all my new clients a small bottle of Solar Oil so she had that - I gave her the usual aftercare advice. She's office based, has no children but does a bit of gardening with gloves on. I only did her nails Wednesday and the email came through this morning. I think some people are always going to have problems but I do hate this situation. May have to put this one down to experience!

Thanks again for your reply. x

I don't use shellac I'm a bio sculpture girl however I have a policy with all clients if there is a problem in the first 24 hours I will fix them. As it can take awhile for the gel to fully harden. Anything after that then I will fix at a cost. If you have done the correct prep given the aftercare then it's not your fault. Also if clients say on their next visit that they lifted in the first 24 hors but never contacted me then it also isn't my fault.

Clients try to pull a fast one and push it from time to time. The thing is we are doing these treatments all day every day if the other clients are fine is normally just that 1 awkward person.

Some peoples nails just don't work with gel. A change in diet can have an impact or even medication or a short course of antibiotics.

A client of mine had surgery and it took 5 months for her gels to start lasting from all the medication and anaesthetic she had

Hope this helps x

I too would offer to fix the chipped nails, maybe try and see if she's following aftercare given, wearing gloves etc. Some people are quite hard on their nails unknown to themselves. Even if she wants them off, offer to remove them and give her a mini mani or something x

Latest posts

Back