Shellac removal, still see traces of basecoat afterwards?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelisa

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else has this problem? I wrap the nails, leave about 7-10 min, scrape them off with OWS but still can see traces of basecoat.

I've been resorting to using a koala to gently take it off.
But why is this happening?
Do I need to leave them wrapped for longer?
Or am I applying base too thick? (it's hard to apply it thin as it's too thick in consistency-even a new bottle I find).

I want to be not buffing, as advertised, so Any help is appreciated. x

Hi Katelisa,
Sounds like it's probably going on a bit thick.... Think 'thin to win' :)
Also, you say the base coat seems thick...have you given it a good 30 second shake prior to using it? That helps to mix all the ingredients together and will give you a thinner viscosity.
You need to leave the wraps on for the full 10minutes as this is how long it takes for the the acetone to soak down through the tiny tunnels to the base coat.
And after all that if you still have a bit of base coat left on the nail plate, use a lint free pad soaked with acetone and rub it over the nail.
Try and avoid buffing as much as possible as this is one of the unique & fabby factors of the Shellac system :) x
HTH's

Yeah I always give them a good shake and it's still thick. Top coat is awfully thick too. :(

I'm finding the '10 minute removal' a bit of a con really. Because by the time they're wrapped, left for 10 mins, and then removed properly it's almost 20 mins. Boooriinnggg lol.

Thanks for the advice though. I may cut the base coat bristles shorter so it goes on thinner. I know they're already shorter but still not short enough I don't think. x

Please don't cut your base coat bristles, they're like that for a reason, to aid an even, thin coverage.
Try not to overload with product on your brush, wipe the brush on the inside neck of the bottle to remove the excess :)

Also with ref to the removal time, if you twist and pull the wraps off the nail after the full ten mins that should remove the bulk of the Shellac, so it really shouldn't take you too much longer.

Also make sure your wraps are on nice & tight, with no little gaps at the end of the fingers, this will ensure the acetone isn't evaporating and is kept nice and warm, let them do all the hard work for you :) x

Thanks for the tips :)

If you are applying all the coats lovely and thin then it will only take ten minutes to remove, this is including the time you take to wrap them.

I start wrapping mine and by the time I have got to finger no 10 I wait about 5 minutes then go back and start to remove finger no 1, so by the time I get back to no 10 it has been wrapped for 10 mins.
I have never been 20 mins from start to finish of a removal, 10 mins at the most.

I you are using the CND Wraps as stated they need to be saturated, placed correctly and put on tight this will speed up removal.
:hug:

I think your base coat could have possibly cured a little in its bottle, as the base coat is not thick at all... in fact, I find it goes on like a dream.

Make sure to clean the neck of your bottle and the lid should be closed nice and tight... if not the air will get in and release the solvents causing the Shellac to thicken in the bottle.

Think it may be time to replace that one and you'll see a big difference with the new one.

It should only take about two minutes to apply the wraps and then as lu-B-lu says, leave them on for the full ten minutes... press firmly and twist and pull... I find most of the Shellac will come off and you can flake off the rest with an orange wood stick... then clean off with a little acetone soaked on a wipe.

It's very important the base is applied thin, for easy release. The thicker you apply it, the longer it will take to remove.

HTHs :hug:

I have my nails wrapped now as I'm writing this and it's taking me forever to type! :lol:

Hi, I had the exact same problem! I ended up leaving them on for too long in the end and they had rehardend! I think it was a mixture of too thick base coat (it was one of my first!) mayb not enough acetone and not wrapping the foil tight enough! Practice makes perfect I guess!!

A nice lady sent me a link to a YouTube vid about removing shellac by the fingernail fixer. It was worth a watch, you could mayb search on YouTube, it helped me.

Good luck! X

I have a brand new bottle of basecoat and it still seems a bit thick. Not unworkable, but too thick to apply as thin as it needs to be :-/

I just thought, I can't be applying the base coat too thick, because I've got over 40 sets out of one small bottle!! Lol.

So must be the soaking time...

Thanks for the links. :)

From what I can gather I think I'm actually applying less basecoat than on that 'basecoat basics' vid lol. I wipe my brush off both sides before applying, wheras she was leaving a little bit on the end.

I think I'll try and leave the pads a little longer before removing. It doesn't happen with all clients, just some. :rolleyes:

You're welcome and good luck.
Holly's the Bomb, so watch as many of her vids that you can
:hug:

Train your clients to do their own soak off?:D

Also, are you using foil or the proper wraps? Without wishing to be contentious I personally find foil better, I just don't seem to be able to wrap the proper wraps tight enough.

Are you being generous with the D-Solve and are you wrapping the wraps tightly?

Jacqui xx

And you need to be gentle with the orange stick but not too gentle if that makes sense!

Lol ZoZo, I don't think many of them could be trusted! They'd just pick it off! :(

I'm using foil. I cut a cotton pad into 4, so it's not over exposing on the skin, saturate with acetone, and wrap in foil. I twist the end of the foil to keep the heat and product in, and press the foil onto the nail so it's nice and tight. And I've even been putting a plastic glove over the top to hold it all in place (ones that dont melt in acetone! lol) :green:

I use firm but gentle movements with the OWS.

I did one today, left her at least ten mins with wraps on, while I did her an eyelash tint and brow wax, and still felt like I needed to give them a tiny sqipe over with a koala. I mean literally a quick swipe over, to take the tiny bits away. Am I being a bit anal?! lol.

Do you guys think A koala is classed as actualy buffing? (I'd like to do the shellac salon accreditation thingy at some point when it rolls out you see)

x

Lol ZoZo, I don't think many of them could be trusted! They'd just pick it off! :(

I'm using foil. I cut a cotton pad into 4, so it's not over exposing on the skin, saturate with acetone, and wrap in foil. I twist the end of the foil to keep the heat and product in, and press the foil onto the nail so it's nice and tight. And I've even been putting a plastic glove over the top to hold it all in place (ones that dont melt in acetone! lol) :green:

I use firm but gentle movements with the OWS.

I did one today, left her at least ten mins with wraps on, while I did her an eyelash tint and brow wax, and still felt like I needed to give them a tiny sqipe over with a koala. I mean literally a quick swipe over, to take the tiny bits away. Am I being a bit anal?! lol.

Do you guys think A koala is classed as actualy buffing? (I'd like to do the shellac salon accreditation thingy at some point when it rolls out you see)

x

Yes I would class the Koala as buffing and you really shouldn't need to do that.

Perhaps the wipes you have are just too thin and the acetone is evaporating as it's not thick enough.

Try some of the CND wraps and you'll see a big difference... most of the Shellac should come clean off and you should only need to flake away a little bit and no need to buff the nails at all.

To be really honest, I think when I've had some slight residue of base, and I'm re-shellacing, I've just painted over it:o

I think it's been ok!? i.e. smooth finish. Anyone else?

Latest posts

Back