Shellac service with mixed products!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyo

Reaction score
I had to leave for my holiday to Moraira with au natural nails,but didn't worry to much as I took a couple of bottles of vinylux with me, towards the end of our holiday (typically) I came across a local salon that advertised shellac so popped in thinking I would beable to communicate by pointing to desired colours and a nod of the head as my Spanish is minimal!! to find the salon British owned. I returned the following day for my appointment looking forward to getting my nails shellacked as I've never had them done before by anyone else besides me!!
I sat down,picked my colour ( lobster roll) and the service began, the first uh oh moment was when the technician buffed my nails, granted it was only the kola buffer,the second uh oh moment was when she picked up a bottle of gellish base coat and informed me that she found that the gellish base & top coat worked better and lasted longer with the shellac colours!!! Clearly unaware of my profession she told me it was completely fine to do so, at which point me being me aloud it to happen without question, foolish I know!! The point of this long winded story is am I totally naive, does this happen a lot?? I can't believe salons would risk mixing brands but more so as a client going in to a salon asking for a shellac service I would expect to get one not a shellac/ gellish service especially when the salon is advertising shellac and not gellish. I offer shellac & opi gelcolor in my salon but wouldn't dream of mixing the systems. I wonder if the client would even know/ care as long as they got the desired results! I was just shocked and disappointed what I experienced but feel good in the fact I offer the system and correct procedure recommended by the manufactures. Rant over, oh my shellac/ gellish is already chipping not even a week in!!

I had a girl come to mine Wednesday doing "shellac" and half of her colours were blue sky ! I purposely picked a proper shellac colour (tropix) and she used a random base and top coat that wasn't even a recognisable brand. I go on holiday tomorrow and its already chipped too :( so disappointed! It must be happening everywhere!

I've mixed opi and gelish on my own nails and it's been fine!

I personally wouldn't. I advertise myself as a Bio Sculpture nail tech so use bs products. It just wouldn't be professional to mix in another brands products in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

May I just say that it was definitely NOT our salon in Moraira! Where you would have had a perfect Shellac Service. :green:

You can pm me and tell me which one it was but I'm pretty sure I know. I will go in and have a word for you.

I hate messers! Should have found us. :hug:

But. amyo, How are people ever going to get the message if even nail technicians don't have the courage to complain when people start to buff their nails and stupidly layer up different brands ... I would be livid and I'd walk out the door after they had been told.

Last edited:
Happens more often than not where I live. Before I got into the business I was going to a very nice place that used the proper products but they charged $45 for shellac and I had chipping often. So I started salon hopping since most places are between $25 and $35. Every single one I went to mixed systems. I would walk in and ask for CND Shellac and they would use some unknown base and top coat or OPI gel color base and top. I would ask for the proper products and they would say whatever they used worked better. Doug Schoon wrote an article on why we shouldn't mix systems, sorry I'm really good at mentioning articles but not posting links since I'm on my phone :(
Anyway, I thought of an analogy. Just because you can take Advil and some other drug for a headache and be fine doesn't make you a pharmacist. I don't think nail techs should play chemist or experiment on people. Just because it's common practice doesn't mean it's right.

Latest posts

Back