Shellac shelf life

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaQ

Reaction score
Doug Schoon has answered a question (the question was regarding Shellac) on his FB page saying that we should always attempt to use nail products up within 2-4 months from date of purchase...to ensure maximum effectiveness and benefits for clients. Does this mean that if we have had the product for longer than 4 months that we as techs can't then guarantee the Shellac as marketed (i.e. it's no longer guaranteed for being chip free, scratch resistant etc) or that it is even curing properly.

Also, if that the case, as we are in the UK and we have shipping and storage times to be added does this make the purchase date relevant...surely it's when the product is made that would be the relevant date.

Where does that leave us, if a client returns unhappy with chipped Shellac after a couple of days and you have had the bottle for 4 months, even though you may have just opened it...as the product is losing it's maximum effectiveness?

I love CND and Shellac and I think Doug is brilliant, but this gives me cause for concern!! :eek:

Doug Schoon has answered a question (the question was regarding Shellac) on his FB page saying that we should always attempt to use nail products up within 2-4 months from date of purchase...to ensure maximum effectiveness and benefits for clients. Does this mean that if we have had the product for longer than 4 months that we as techs can't then guarantee the Shellac as marketed (i.e. it's no longer guaranteed for being chip free, scratch resistant etc) or that it is even curing properly.

Also, if that the case, as we are in the UK and we have shipping and storage times to be added does this make the purchase date relevant...surely it's when the product is made that would be the relevant date.

Where does that leave us, if a client returns unhappy with chipped Shellac after a couple of days and you have had the bottle for 4 months, even though you may have just opened it...as the product is losing it's maximum effectiveness?

I love CND and Shellac and I think Doug is brilliant, but this gives me cause for concern!! :eek:
It gives me cause for concern too cause I've got a couple of shellac colours I've only used once or twice and there about 12 months old.:eek:

It gives me cause for concern too cause I've got a couple of shellac colours I've only used once or twice and there about 12 months old.:eek:

I'm glad it's not just me worrying, didn't know if I was being silly but I'm just starting out and have a few colours that won't be used for a while as my business builds and I certainly don't want to overexpose clients...or myself!! x

Maybe it means once it's opened? Even still though..

Sorry, I would just take it as it wont be as good after the 4 months then like a best before date

I'm sure this topic has come up before & shellac was noted to be ok regarding shelf life? X

Fingernail Fixer told us in a class that Shellac was good for one year after opening, two years if unopened. Hmmmm

Well that's me stuffed ! No way I do enough shellac to get through full bottles in 4months !
Does anyone put stickers on a bottle with date it's opened ?

Fingernail Fixer told us in a class that Shellac was good for one year after opening, two years if unopened. Hmmmm

That's what I heard too. I've got shellac that has been used once maybe twice and pushing a year old. They are still working perfectly in the sense that they aren't chipping so they must be curing properly surely?

xxx

Well that's me stuffed ! No way I do enough shellac to get through full bottles in 4months !
Does anyone put stickers on a bottle with date it's opened ?

I don't but I'm wondering if I should :-/

xxx

That's what I heard too. I've got shellac that has been used once maybe twice and pushing a year old. They are still working perfectly in the sense that they aren't chipping so they must be curing properly surely?

xxx

I have bottles of Shellac at home that I have had for more than a year and use only on myself and I notice no difference in performance.

I don't think you all need to be concerned .. I live in Spain where it is hot and it still works well for me.

Like CND, Doug always takes a conservative and cautious road which is best, but we all know the yogurt carton says eat by xxx and we all know that the yogurt in the pot is perfectly good to eat for weeks if kept refrigerated. Shellac will work just fine for much longer than stated if kept in the proper conditions etc.

I've had coloured gels in the same cupboard as my Shellac, and they have cured in the bottle and been unusable whereas my Shellac is still going strong. :D

Yes I would eat yoghurt that was past its sell by date if it looked/smelled ok...however I would not feed it to paying clients! OP can you post the link as to where Doug has said this? If it does relate to Shellac then I would be concerned as I would have some doubt that I was not following best practise for my clients in using older bottles of shellac. I'm hoping though that his comments relate more to the 'consumable' type products (scrub fresh, cool blue, solar oil etc.) rather than shellac itself.

I have found the post by doug now, don't know how I missed it as it's bang at the top of his facebook page!

reading what he has said I'm inclined to think the 2-4 months relates to water based products which as he says can become contaminated or oxidise. I have previously read on cnd's website that the shelf life of shellac is 2years unopened and 1year opened which seems more reasonable and fits with what geeg is saying that it is most likely still fine after this time. Hope this is right!

I have found the post by doug now, don't know how I missed it as it's bang at the top of his facebook page!

reading what he has said I'm inclined to think the 2-4 months relates to water based products which as he says can become contaminated or oxidise. I have previously read on cnd's website that the shelf life of shellac is 2years unopened and 1year opened which seems more reasonable and fits with what geeg is saying that it is most likely still fine after this time. Hope this is right!

I hope this is right too, but the question put to him was about Shellac and he was talking about UV products xx

Latest posts

Back