Shellac top coat dull?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
Have just done a shellac french and at the end the top coat seemed a bit dull and not it's ususal shiney self. It is near the end of the bottle so I opened a fresh one and gave another coat. This solved the problem.

I just wondered what could have caused this "Dullness"? My lamp is new so I don't think it will be the bulbs needing renewed. Could it just be that this particular bottle has been opened a number of times and is past it's best?

This usually signifies undercuring or not removing all the inhibition layer. What lamp are you using and what are you using to remove the inhibition layer?

I am using the new shellac lamp and I remove the sticky layer with acetone free nail polish remover. I know this is not the recommended thing to use but it was worked perfectly until now. As I said earlier when I applied an extra coat from a fresh bottle and removed the same way it was absolutely fine.

I will keep this bottle for my own use to be on the safe side.

I wonder if I accidently used the same lint pad that already had scrub fresh on it. Maybe the combination of the 2 chemicals caused it?

It still had a shine but definately not to the standard I normally achieve. The client was fine with it but I was not so thats why I gave another coat.

You may find that the "acetone free" polish remover does actually contain some acetone - you need to use isopropyll alcohol.

You may have just been lucky that your polish remover has worked so far.

Did you use base coat by mistake perhaps?

This happened to me yesterday on just one hand and was the only explanation I could come up with! Like you I reapplied the top coat and it was fine.

I am using the new shellac lamp and I remove the sticky layer with acetone free nail polish remover. I know this is not the recommended thing to use but it was worked perfectly until now. As I said earlier when I applied an extra coat from a fresh bottle and removed the same way it was absolutely fine.

I will keep this bottle for my own use to be on the safe side.

I wonder if I accidently used the same lint pad that already had scrub fresh on it. Maybe the combination of the 2 chemicals caused it?

It still had a shine but definately not to the standard I normally achieve. The client was fine with it but I was not so thats why I gave another coat.

This could certainly be the cause. Why not invest in the D-Sperse and use the right chemicals for the job? It's cheap enough and a good sized bottle and I'd really recommend it.

I have put a coloured dot on my top coat as its the same colour bottle as I am blonde and very dizty lol My friend has used the base as a top coat by mistake and it was dull

This could certainly be the cause. Why not invest in the D-Sperse and use the right chemicals for the job? It's cheap enough and a good sized bottle and I'd really recommend it.

and it smells amazing!

You may find that the "acetone free" polish remover does actually contain some acetone - you need to use isopropyll alcohol.

You may have just been lucky that your polish remover has worked so far.

I have isopropyll alcohol gel cleanser from the le chat nobility range, will give this a go. I don't use it for anything else so may as well use it if it works.

I have a "T" on my top coat bottle but I know that if you have a chatty client it is possible to mix them up:o. At least I know it is "fixable". It's all part of getting know a new product.

Latest posts

Back