Shellac treatment time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Lashes

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm not a nail tech so not sure what to thin. Went and had a shellac french manicure a couple of days ago and she did a fab job. She had the CND lamp and all the polishes etc. My cousin has her nails done with shellac every couple of weeks and says mine can't be shellac because it only took her about 35mins to do the treatment. She says her mobile therapist takes 1hr 30mins to do the treatment.

I'm just wondering if my therapist was just very quick at her job or if this is an unusually short time. She did put quite a few coats on.

I don't know how long the treatment is supposed to take so not sure what to think?

How long does it take you guys to do a treatment?

K

Sounds like she was very fast and efficient. My favorite kind of tech and my preferred working technique. A 1.5 hour Shellac is quite lengthy and I can't imagine what on earth she is doing that whole time. Removal adds some time before a new application but still. Either that tech is just really slow, untrained or she's dilly dallying. None of which bode well for business.

hiya! shellac does only take about 35 mins to do. Does your cousion have acrylic nail extensions on and shellac over the top? i dont know anyone that would take 1hr and 30mins to do shellac :| it take me about 40mins to do shellac :) xx

Hi geeks,

I'm not a nail tech so not sure what to thin. Went and had a shellac french manicure a couple of days ago and she did a fab job. She had the CND lamp and all the polishes etc. My cousin has her nails done with shellac every couple of weeks and says mine can't be shellac because it only took her about 35mins to do the treatment. She says her mobile therapist takes 1hr 30mins to do the treatment.

I'm just wondering if my therapist was just very quick at her job or if this is an unusually short time. She did put quite a few coats on.

I don't know how long the treatment is supposed to take so not sure what to think?

How long does it take you guys to do a treatment?

K

Is there a problem with your manicure that prompts you to make this post? Otherwise I'm not too sure really why you have posted it?

For what it is worth. ... I take between 30 and 40 minutes to do a Shellac service and I would say that is the norm for a practiced professional. One and a half hours is in my opinion a VERY long time !! I don't know anyone who takes that amount of time to essentially paint someone's nails!

An hour and a half does sound like a long time. Did she time it from the time the therapist arrived to the time she left. If she's mobile 10-15 mins of that could easily be explained away as set up and pack away time but that still leaves over an hour! She was either very slow or kept stopping and chatting!

I take around 30-40 minutes to do Shellac. With removal about 45-50. Did she have her toes done aswell? That might of took longer to do both? X

I hate to admit it but Im slow in my work, as I have not been doing this very long and can't seem to get my speed up yet. It takes me anything from 1hr to 11/2 hrs, depending on how long it takes a client to choose their colour, how much cuticle work there is, if I have to do any fibre glass repairs etc... . Im lucky as my clients don't seem to mind the time it takes I guess they feel they get there monies worth. Hope I get quicker and still trying.

Hiya, I'm not a Nail geek but I was just wondering why you assumed it was your tech doing it wrong and not your cousins? x

Hiya, I'm not a Nail geek but I was just wondering why you assumed it was your tech doing it wrong and not your cousins? x

That is exactly what my first question in my head was.

Then my 2nd one was what Geeg said and then my 3rd was, how does time come into the equation of if the product is really Shellac or not?

I don't do Shellac but I do Polish Pro (NSI gel polish) but they all require the same style of service, so I feel I can safely say that 1.5hrs to do a Shellac/Polish Pro service if it just involves the prep work, application of product and a basic mani then this is way too long and the tech doing it is the one with the problem, not your tech.

I think you should find out more details of exactly what was included in your cousins service because surely she must have had more in her service than yours, for it to take this long.
Maybe she has removal of previous Shellac as well as new application, maybe she has enhancements as well that required a rebalance, maybe she has a delux mani after her Shellac service....the possibilities are endless as to why it took so long but I think it's very unfair of your cousin to make such a statement based on time.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clear things up I was really thrilled with my result but my cousin was so convincing that i had not had 'true shellac' and that it wouldn't last very long. She's been having hers done for ages with the same tech and said no way anyone could do it in 35mins as you have to have lots of prepping and lots of layers. She didn't have any other treatments at the same time. I think you've all cleared things up for me and i can rest assured i have been given the real thing. The other reason i posted the thread was that i was planning on doing some nail courses in the future and also including the shellac but lots of people around here charge very low prices and certainly too low for 1hr 30mins work.

Thank you all for your comments.

Maybe the other tech added in additional things... like a scrub, hand massage etc? :lol:

Latest posts

Back