Shellac's new poster - very disappointed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I love Shellac and have a lot of respect for CND but I for one am not going to be displaying there new posters in my salon.

I am constantly telling my clients not to use their nails as tools, my biggest thing is "Never use your nails to open cans"

Very disappointed in their marketing dept :(

Attachments

• 630-62-001_Shellac_Window_Cling_240.jpg
    630-62-001_Shellac_Window_Cling_240.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,577
agree and its also a really fake looking picture nails dont look real at all i got all excited then looked closer and thought it just looks like a generic nail poster from the 90's no style or class very disappointed

Very good point... Now wishing I could cancel my order for it that I've just placed but its reversible so hopefully the other side is better!

x

I agree with you all not a good advert to clients but I think here CND are not saying this is what you should do . More " OMG she's using her nails so open a can! Shellac must be good!"

If it gets clients through the door to try shellac then it can only be a good thing and then in your aftercare you can stress things like this shouldn't be done. It's all about the aftercare.

At least it's reversible as well

I think the poster has great impact and wil very much get the consumers attention ... In fact, I don't think it I know it! :green: that is what it is meant to do. It's not a pretty salon type poster it is marketing material and it works.

A bit silly in my opinion to think that the poster is encouraging people to open cans with the tips of their nails! It is making a point and it is doing it very effectively. Put that on an A board outside the salon and see what happens! :)

Hello

I love Shellac and have a lot of respect for CND but I for one am not going to be displaying there new posters in my salon.

I am constantly telling my clients not to use their nails as tools, my biggest thing is "Never use your nails to open cans"

Very disappointed in their marketing dept :(
I really can't see the sense in us trying to educate clients to look after their nails and to never use them as tools and then go and display a poster showing Shellaced nails opening a can!! I will definitely not be using this poster. Sorry CND but much as i love you i do think you got it wrong this time.

Interesting, that thought didn't even register with me - but totally see where you guys are coming from.

The image is part of a new Shellac campaign focusing on the empowering effects of "Power Polish" (other pics are holding keys, another playing guitar).

I'll feed this back to CND

I did think it was a little strange to have a picture of nails opening a can when I saw it on the S2 website a while ago, but to be honest I didn't give it much thought after that - I reckon people are more sensible than we all seem to think; they're not going to see the poster then rush home and try it...

xxx

Whilst I do see where people are coming from I like it.

All I drink is diet coke and water. And I would say over the course of 2 weeks I open 50 cans of diet coke and my shellac stays fine.

It's an everyday thing to open a can is it not?

I don't see it as using your nails as a tool?

I expected to be shot down for voicing negativity against CND on here, but I am reassured that I am not alone with this feeling, thanks guys for being objective.

Admin, I appreciate the feedback to CND and just to be clear the other ads, the key and the guitar I think are fab. I for one am very grateful for CND getting the Shellac name out there. I also get that they wanted a fresh eye catching advertising campaign but I just don't think this image is appropriate.

x

Whilst I do see where people are coming from I like it.

All I drink is diet coke and water. And I would say over the course of 2 weeks I open 50 cans of diet coke and my shellac stays fine.

It's an everyday thing to open a can is it not?

I don't see it as using your nails as a tool?

I think we all do it! :hug: I'm not unscrewing screws with my nails. I mean, when you open a can you only use your nails to barely lift the ring-pull so you Can then lever it with your finger.

I never even for a second looked at the poster as though it was going to influence my clients to pull rings with their nails. Each to there own. Don't like it, don't get it! :green:

I think we all do it! :hug: I'm not unscrewing screws with my nails. I mean, when you open a can you only use your nails to barely lift the ring-pull so you Can then lever it with your finger.

I never even for a second looked at the poster as though it was going to influence my clients to pull rings with their nails. Each to there own. Don't like it, don't get it! :green:

Exactly!

I looked at it and thought it was more modern, I didn't think it was encouraging. I had a little giggle that its what I do everyday!

I think it's fresh. I think it will appeal to younger clients too x

I can't really understand why they would use this image, to me it just tells the client that the product is able to withstand this sort of treatment and so it will encourage them not to bother taking care with their nails.

Seems a little silly, we educate our ladies on how not to use your nails then CND come along with an image of exactly what NOT to do :-/

Totally agree with the OP.

The implication is that nails with a Shellac coating are going to be able to withstand opening a can like this with no damage caused . . . . . and we all know that is not the case. Not even with acrylics/gels applied would we recommend that, certainly not with Shellac.

Beautiful photography . . . . . the wrong message (imo)

I think the poster is very misleading & hypocritical....the nail actually pulling the can ring right up!?...my first thought was NO!!!
We religiously explain what NOT to do with enhancements, whether it be acrylic extensions or shellac manicures!

I use CND products as I love them, but I think they have got it wrong big time..the poster suggests you can pull a can ring without damaging the nail?! Thats not gonna happen..I can see a trail of Shellac clients returning for repaired nails where this poster is advertised...

Nails are not indestructable and they will break, especially doing things like this...
* Jewels...Not Tools!! *:confused:

Well, I ve bought as the green goes great with my new nail room decor!:green:

I can see both sides of this argument. While Id look at it and think its just a clever way of marketing Shellac, and wouldn't take it literally as Im sure the majority of my clients wouldn't. I know full well a large group of my clients would say "thought you told me not to do that with my nails!" someone would definitely comment and I couldn't get this poster purely for that reason!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I don't use Shellac but if I got it done and chipped a nail after opening a can I wouldn't be happy after seeing this poster. Therapist would be fixing it for free.

I think the poster has great impact and wil very much get the consumers attention ... In fact, I don't think it I know it! :green: that is what it is meant to do. It's not a pretty salon type poster it is marketing material and it works.

A bit silly in my opinion to think that the poster is encouraging people to open cans with the tips of their nails! It is making a point and it is doing it very effectively. Put that on an A board outside the salon and see what happens! :)
I have had the pleasure of meeting Gigi and have total respect for her and her huge talent as a nail artist but on this occasion i'm baffled by her defence of this advertising poster that depicts nails being misused. I know gigi is CND through and through and most geeks on here (myself included) love it too but i really feel on this occasion they got it wrong. Educating our clients in nailcare is hard enough at the best of times and this poster is clearly showing that you can use your Shellaced nail to open a can with a ring pull without damage to the nail. When our clients come flocking back for nail repairs due to misusing nails, will we have a leg to stand on if we have this poster on display?? I think not.

Latest posts

Back