Shocking - extensions for 6 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstruman

Reaction score
:suprised:
Hi geeks , just had an email from a client asking me to put extensions on her 6 year old daughter for her birthday, obviously i said no, i dont do extensions on anyone under 16, so just got me thinking whats the youngest age you would do tips on ?
I have done minx on younger girls aged about 13 but never any younger, is that too young ?

hiya,
I had my first set of extensions when I was about 14 and I have rarely had them off since, (just for breaks in between courses) I don't think there is a limit on age it is just how comfortable you feel doing a young clients nails and also making sure parents are aware of any treatments as you don't want to be confronted by them (But I'm sure you wouldn't do this anyway)

It is probably best to keep it to over 16 or whatever feels comfortable for you, young skin may react different to chemicals.

HTH xx

i'd say you'd need to check your insurance , you might personally believe 14 or 15 is ok but the policy might specify 16 and older. if anything goes wrong ( say a nail getting pulled off ) you would then be up sh** creek without a paddle!

6 year old?! I find that really bad. I wouldn't even consider it. A lot of insurers say no to under 16.

A lot of adults fail to follow aftercare advice, and come back to us with false claims they 'fell off' or 'ruined' their nails. How the hell we can expect a 6 year old to be any better at looking after them is beyond me. Surely at 6 year old, their nails are FAR from developed? Sorry this has made me quite mad, how can a parent have enhancements put on a 6 year old. Where do we draw the line xxx

6 year old?! I find that really bad. I wouldn't even consider it. A lot of insurers say no to under 16.

A lot of adults fail to follow aftercare advice, and come back to us with false claims they 'fell off' or 'ruined' their nails. How the hell we can expect a 6 year old to be any better at looking after them is beyond me. Surely at 6 year old, their nails are FAR from developed? Sorry this has made me quite mad, how can a parent have enhancements put on a 6 year old. Where do we draw the line xxx
I was shocked that she even asked, i never do tips on anyone under 16

As a parent of a six year old I would never even consider getting a set for her, nor as a technician (although not currently offering this service) would I do anyone under 16.

There's no way a child could maintain them and the damage could be irreparable. I was horrified when my daughter got a set of stick ons for her Xmas - she demanded them on but they lasted no longer than an hour!! Lol!!

Children should be left to be children!

Imagine my horror when one of my clients asked me to apply gel to her 3 year old daughter!!!!
:( :eek:

Children should be left to be children!

Imagine my horror when one of my clients asked me to apply gel to her 3 year old daughter!!!!
:( :eek:
Age 3 and i thought 6 was bad enough :(

This is terrible I have a 1 year old lil girl and she is forever playing with my makeup but she will luckily when she is 6 if she has a bit of glitter nail vanish the woman who asked must be nuts x

Truely disgusting and this is child abuse.god my gal is 6 she has a little bit of glittery varnish on special occasions and maybe at a weekend when I'm doing my own but very rare.

What planet do these parents come from what's next my daughter wants a spray tan and boob implants because she wants to look like her mummy lol.

Silly woman.the thought of what this woman asked you wouldn't even cross my mined nail tech or not.x

Stick On nails for Kids i think it does it's job, looks pretty for a day or two :) You can buy very similar ones in ASDA :)
And mum who wants her kid to do things that grown-ups do is nuts.

I have minx'd and Shellac'd girls as young as 8. I do not make it a regular thing and only do it if people ask because they are the 2 treatments that require no "removing of shine". I do not advertise the fact that I do this and only do it for special occasions, my clients know this. I make them aware that they will not last as long as an adults will and they must come back to the salon to have them removed properly. If they fail to do this, I won't do it again on the next special occasion

Extensions at 6 is diabolical! You know what the worst thing is? She'll take her somewhere that doesn't give a crap about promoting healthy nail growth and have them ruined!

What is the world coming to??

No one younger than 16 for enhancements. Anything else is fine, but doing little girls is tasking for me. They fidget too much and usually mess up their polish right after doing.

And please don't think I don't like kids, because I do. Just hard for me to polish them!

But what I like even better is they want a cheaper price for doing the same amount of work. It takes just as long to do a child, if not more time because they don't sit still, so why wouldn't it cost the same??

This debate has taken place many times.

My opinions (for whatever their worth...) are:
  • That if insurance doesn't cover under the age of 16, there is a reason for it.
  • Also, children's nails are softer and not sufficiently strong for enhancements, they'll get torn and damaged easily if the child plays and bops one. If the trauma is severe enough to affect the matrix- you're looking at long term damage.
  • Children should be CHILDREN. Not miniature adults. It's obscene, just google "The Lolita Effect". As both a parent and a professional, I want no part of that.
  • 6 or 12, same difference - both are children.
  • At the end of the day, money is NOT the only thing that matters. "It takes a village to raise a child" so what the parent/client wants is not always what we should deliver.
Last summer an 11yr old came to me with TRAUMA. A local NSS agreed to apply enhancements. While she was outside playing, she bopped one. She was SHOCKY from the pain.Sobbing, white as a ghost, chills... She showed up here with her Mom at 9 at night, wrapped in a housecoat drinking hotchocolate. Poor kid! (while the rest of us melted in the summer heat).
I did what I could for her, carefully removing the others etc.
She wound up losing the nail (which thankfully grew back later).

I would NEVER want to be responsible for a child suffering like that. EVER.
Think about it...............

i think 6 is way too young but i have personally been having nail extensions since i was 13. i have always bitten my nails and extensions was after trying lots of other things a way of growing my own nails!! I was a mature 13 year old but still teenagers now want to get their nails done just like their mums.

that said i haven't been asked to do a teenager yet and not sure how i would feel doing them....

Have to make another comment went to see my friend today her 8 year old came bk from a princess party with bright pink acrylic nails with bling on. It took her over a hour to remove them I asked did she give permission she said yer but thought it was going to be nail paint glitter etc not acrylic nails x

Six years old? [/faint] That is shocking. I really wouldn't be able to stop myself telling the mother how disgusting i think that is. We don't do any acrylics under 16. If someone came in asking for a 6 year old I would chase them out of the salon! :D

Did anyone else see the enhancements on the children on C4 Gypsy Wedding last night?
Oh me!

I only have clients over 18.

Latest posts

Back