Should I give up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, I'm from hair, but feel for you with working full time and building your mobile business as this is what I did for 6 years, thing is I luuuurve hairdressing, so even on the days I would get in my car after work and think 'I really wanna go home to bed, or just chill' at times even consider calling that eve lady up and moving her as 'something has come up' I'd then tell myself to get on with it, and when I was there... No one would have known any different! Even I forgot I couldn't be bothered as I enjoy it so much, the problem was my day job got me down so much! By the time I got home I was buzzing! People would ask how do you do it? All the time, thing is I never saw it as a job, it was a hobby!

not saying throw your job in, but once I realised that I started using mobile as my therapy! And gave up my day job when doing both became too much, with everyone around me having to book time with me so I didn't book hair, and 9 times out of 10 I was fully booked both Eve's and both sat and Sunday for hairdressing, so I decided to set up shop.

Like I say this was years in the making, but promo wise, I didn't, I had my website that at the time I'd paid 3.99 for 2 years for, my personal fb page and word of mouth, also my office... The people I worked with... Have you done anything with the people you work around?

Hair, nails and beauty are industries that definitely require our heart to excel in! So to me you sound like you need to do a mix of things.... Find your passion, and take a break, and maybe reflect on your business projection... How customers and people around you see it? Get testimonials if not already?

Do you do word of mouth promos? Loyalty bonus' to drive up the regular side? Nails I didn't excel in as I don't really care for them, and as much as I was good and customers were happy enough, I wasn't so as nails dropped off I didn't push for it! My main love is colour work, and funnily enough 80% of my clients are colours, maybe more, I rarely do just cuts or blow drys and if I do, it's not long before they have colours. I don't hard sell... Hate it done to me, I advise, give ideas and opinions, make suggestions and wait for them to come to me.

On a note about you have leaflet dropped and nothing, (did you know the average return from this is 0.5%) so that's 1 person every 200 delivered! Also what did your leaflets look like? What did they say? We're they precise, to the point and clear, or messy, overloaded and cheap looking? Whenever I do anything with my marketing I sit back and think would I call to book an apt? If yes I then ask all my friends and family who I know will give me an honest answer, as I tell them I don't want to be made to feel good I want to know if they need improving, it's the difference between getting that client or not! Also my bf... He's a graphics programmer so he looks at how appealing things are to the eye, and then as he knows nothing about hair gives me his honest opinion... I have to tell him to say it nicely though as he's sometimes too harsh haha... Buuuut we need these people around us!

If you want DM me your website and fb, twitter etc and I'll take a look and give you my honest but constructive feedback if any! Or put it on here, we all will, pics of your leaflets... Etc. I notice paper ones rarely work in my house! Before even reading anything we automatically judge on appearance, this goes for leaflets, brochures etc, we decide in less than half a second if we like someone or something!

Hope it all works out whichever you decide... Although your mind does sound made up :(

Wow did not realise that was quite so long. Hope it helps :)

Hi there, I'm from hair, but feel for you with working full time and building your mobile business as this is what I did for 6 years, thing is I luuuurve hairdressing, so even on the days I would get in my car after work and think 'I really wanna go home to bed, or just chill' at times even consider calling that eve lady up and moving her as 'something has come up' I'd then tell myself to get on with it, and when I was there... No one would have known any different! Even I forgot I couldn't be bothered as I enjoy it so much, the problem was my day job got me down so much! By the time I got home I was buzzing! People would ask how do you do it? All the time, thing is I never saw it as a job, it was a hobby!

not saying throw your job in, but once I realised that I started using mobile as my therapy! And gave up my day job when doing both became too much, with everyone around me having to book time with me so I didn't book hair, and 9 times out of 10 I was fully booked both Eve's and both sat and Sunday for hairdressing, so I decided to set up shop.

Like I say this was years in the making, but promo wise, I didn't, I had my website that at the time I'd paid 3.99 for 2 years for, my personal fb page and word of mouth, also my office... The people I worked with... Have you done anything with the people you work around?

Hair, nails and beauty are industries that definitely require our heart to excel in! So to me you sound like you need to do a mix of things.... Find your passion, and take a break, and maybe reflect on your business projection... How customers and people around you see it? Get testimonials if not already?

Do you do word of mouth promos? Loyalty bonus' to drive up the regular side? Nails I didn't excel in as I don't really care for them, and as much as I was good and customers were happy enough, I wasn't so as nails dropped off I didn't push for it! My main love is colour work, and funnily enough 80% of my clients are colours, maybe more, I rarely do just cuts or blow drys and if I do, it's not long before they have colours. I don't hard sell... Hate it done to me, I advise, give ideas and opinions, make suggestions and wait for them to come to me.

On a note about you have leaflet dropped and nothing, (did you know the average return from this is 0.5%) so that's 1 person every 200 delivered! Also what did your leaflets look like? What did they say? We're they precise, to the point and clear, or messy, overloaded and cheap looking? Whenever I do anything with my marketing I sit back and think would I call to book an apt? If yes I then ask all my friends and family who I know will give me an honest answer, as I tell them I don't want to be made to feel good I want to know if they need improving, it's the difference between getting that client or not! Also my bf... He's a graphics programmer so he looks at how appealing things are to the eye, and then as he knows nothing about hair gives me his honest opinion... I have to tell him to say it nicely though as he's sometimes too harsh haha... Buuuut we need these people around us!

If you want DM me your website and fb, twitter etc and I'll take a look and give you my honest but constructive feedback if any! Or put it on here, we all will, pics of your leaflets... Etc. I notice paper ones rarely work in my house! Before even reading anything we automatically judge on appearance, this goes for leaflets, brochures etc, we decide in less than half a second if we like someone or something!

Hope it all works out whichever you decide... Although your mind does sound made up :(

Ah thanks hun for your reply! I really do feel at the end of my teather now and it has been a year, at first I really did try to push it, hardly any clients, then I decided I would just plod along, and then as I still wasn't getting anywhere I decided to push it again and still nothing. Sometimes I dread having to go out like it's a chore, but funnily enough once I'm there, I'm fine and in my element. I think it's because I am moving out and taking much more notice of how much I am spending and to be honest, I don't see much return from what I am spending out! my website is www.bijoubeautyx.co.uk if you wanted to have a nose xx

Heya Hun,

In all honesty on opening your website I actually said out loud 'wow' its clean, friendly, colour scheme works well, and appears professional!

I spotted a couple things though, on your home page you say the areas you cover twice, in the initial paragraph, and then the last I think going into more detail, you also have an areas covered page, so that's 3 times for the same info, maybe keep the brief description in your initial paragraph and link to your areas covered for the full list, I.e. all areas - hyperlinked.

On your shellac page you have a paragraph that jumped out at me....

We say Shellac is pretty indestructible with Normal Wear and Tear, which means you have to partner with us by adding a little protection to your nails if doing tough jobs like household cleaning and gardening, hobbies that are rough on your hands or using harsh chemical products by wearing gloves; doing these things without protection can mar your Shellac service.

The mar? I've exaggerated the spacing to point it out lol

Also your home page is all I and me, and the rest of the site switches to we and us - this needs to flow better personally I prefer we and us but decide on one and try it out. I used to have a home page that was basically welcome to xyz, this is what I offer, in these areas. It's basically a page I see to check out if I want to bother flicking through the rest. I then had an about me page. I still do for my salon.

Honestly I would have looked through anyway, and probably called to book but pointed all this out too haha.

Your site is impressive just needs a few tweaks.

Also your gallery needs work, this is where i may have reserved judgement and not called to book... I understand this is difficult given your not busy, but the first pic is blurred the second I was taken by, and mainly the first 10 were either low quality or computer generated, of a plastic nail thing, however the ones following especially the pink ones are stunning! Swap the order around! And I always used to forget to take pics! I was terrible, still am lol. Although got a lot better haha

Do you have fb and twitter? Are all your social network pages connected to your website? Do you link it every so often for people to like and get more people seeing you?

And a big one, have you done your SEO on the site? For every page?

Hope you don't take any of this to heart it's all aimed at tweaking what is already looking good, to make sure no one clicks off!

I used to use the tag line, bringing salon quality to your home (you have one similar, use this if you like) also I used to say something about people taking time off work for their appointments so why not keep your holidays for just that... A holiday and have your appointment in the comfort of your own home, after a hard days work who wants to make the effort to travel to a salon? {insert your name} will travel to you at a time convenient for you!

I haven't read all through 100% so check spelling and that it flows, maybe a hints and tips page for the long section at the bottom of the shellac one?

Also have you added yourself to google places? I did 2 when I was mobile one focusing on Birmingham the other on Wolverhampton, both linked to my website, and when anyone searched for me I was 1st and 3rd most of the time! Testimonials are good too, people love reading mine.

This is my site, its not perfect I feel its messy, but better than it was, no one gives me advise in that website thread :( but my testimonials page is www.nikkicshairstudio.weebly.com/testimonials and my gallery pages I recently swapped around too.

Always update your site too. If anyone searches for my name I come up all over the place, fb is first, then I think a webs website I couldn't work out how to take Down so just linked it across, and my weebly one. As I have not removed the weebly yet, due to money, I'm struggling to get it higher in the rankings on google, however its making its way up someone found me on it Friday and today!

If I think of anything else I will let you know, if you need anything .... You know where I am :)

wow thank you SO much for your reply! I am on my mobile now so will check out all your pointers tomorrow and tweak my website! I did a regular thus evening n have changed my mind! I love doing nails :) I think I am going to give up on manis and pedis as I haven't had 1 person interested in them in a year! Just focusing on shellac and tans :) xx

Also when you say computer generated by the plastic nail thing, this is actually nail art I have done and take a pic of 😳. And the word "mar" is on the aftercare advice from sweet squared who are distributors for shellac, it's the exact wording on the aftercare :) xx

Also when you say computer generated by the plastic nail thing, this is actually nail art I have done and take a pic of 😳. And the word "mar" is on the aftercare advice from sweet squared who are distributors for shellac, it's the exact wording on the aftercare :) xx

Sorry no i meant the grey one that looks like its off the opi site i think, apologies if i insulted your work :/

And oh in that case what does it mean? Maybe simplifying it for simple folk lol?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Hehe no worries I didnt take offence :) I am going to heed your advice and work on it tomorrow thanku so much xxx

Me again :) as some of you asked for an update of my situation I have decided to stick at doing nails and tans :) I enjoy it thoroughly and was probably having a down moment.

I have changed the way I carry my kit (new bag I bought ages ago) which is much lighter. I have one booking for Shellac this week, and am doing my sisters tonight - opportunity to take pictures. Also, (I think I've mentioned previously) but have decided to give up manicures and pedicures as I didn't have much call for these and the products that are unopened, I am going to make into a little set and give to my work for a charity event we are hosting - I have also been asked to offer shape & paints for free on this evening.

After being asked to offer shape & paints for my work's charity event, I thought about my other options and a friend of mine works for a charity so I am going to offer free shape & paints for that too at these events (this one is closer to home) so I can get my name out there. Hopefully this pays off and I am not asking the same question in 6 months time! xx

oh and i have also worked on my website, taken the "tacky" pictures down and reworded the home page. Added an "aftercare" page instead of having that on the pages offering treatments! xx

Me again :) as some of you asked for an update of my situation I have decided to stick at doing nails and tans :) I enjoy it thoroughly and was probably having a down moment.

I have changed the way I carry my kit (new bag I bought ages ago) which is much lighter. I have one booking for Shellac this week, and am doing my sisters tonight - opportunity to take pictures. Also, (I think I've mentioned previously) but have decided to give up manicures and pedicures as I didn't have much call for these and the products that are unopened, I am going to make into a little set and give to my work for a charity event we are hosting - I have also been asked to offer shape & paints for free on this evening.

After being asked to offer shape & paints for my work's charity event, I thought about my other options and a friend of mine works for a charity so I am going to offer free shape & paints for that too at these events (this one is closer to home) so I can get my name out there. Hopefully this pays off and I am not asking the same question in 6 months time! xx

Let me know how your charity work goes... I have been working out little things like that, that I can do to get my name out there and have been looking into pamper parties, ladies evenings etc, and doing something hair related for 5 per person like to drum up a little more awareness :)

Let me know how your charity work goes... I have been working out little things like that, that I can do to get my name out there and have been looking into pamper parties, ladies evenings etc, and doing something hair related for 5 per person like to drum up a little more awareness :)

Oh brilliant. Hopefully it works...do you find it works for you? xx

Oh brilliant. Hopefully it works...do you find it works for you? xx

Haven't done one yet lol, they all seem to clash with my working hours or I have people booked so can't shut early :(

Haven't done one yet lol, they all seem to clash with my working hours or I have people booked so can't shut early :(

Oh right hehe! perhap you could offer discounts for the times that you are not busy? i.e. £5 off Thurdays? Look at me giving you tips when I was thinking of giving it up just a couple days ago :wink2:

Oh right hehe! perhap you could offer discounts for the times that you are not busy? i.e. £5 off Thurdays? Look at me giving you tips when I was thinking of giving it up just a couple days ago :wink2:

Lol, every little helps hehe

I know I only posted this 8 days ago, but am seriously considering things now. I have totted up all my outgoings on getting things started, the clients and the frequency of the clients I have had and I literally am making NOTHING! In fact, I am making a loss! I have read various posts on this site about people wanting to give up and their expectations etc but I have been up and running just over a year now, and I would have expected more than 2 regulars...I seriously have not had a newbie for ages apart from friends. I am going to wait until I move out, and see how well I do then, if still nothing then I think I'm going to have to close up. I've also searched the web and there are SO many mobile beauty therapists around charging cheaper rates and offering more treatments, there is literally a new NSS nail shop popping up on every corner every week charging £10 or £15 a set of shellac and spray tans for £10! i am beyond frustrated again! thought id share with you geeks as I dont have many others to share with :( i would make more money doing o/t at my day job. :confused:

If I dropped you in the middle of the ocean could you make friends with the mermaids?
If you think you would have zero problem getting all the mermaids to like you than it is something you are doing - people are attracted to people.
Big Smile and keep going
xx

I know I only posted this 8 days ago, but am seriously considering things now. I have totted up all my outgoings on getting things started, the clients and the frequency of the clients I have had and I literally am making NOTHING! In fact, I am making a loss! I have read various posts on this site about people wanting to give up and their expectations etc but I have been up and running just over a year now, and I would have expected more than 2 regulars...I seriously have not had a newbie for ages apart from friends. I am going to wait until I move out, and see how well I do then, if still nothing then I think I'm going to have to close up. I've also searched the web and there are SO many mobile beauty therapists around charging cheaper rates and offering more treatments, there is literally a new NSS nail shop popping up on every corner every week charging £10 or £15 a set of shellac and spray tans for £10! i am beyond frustrated again! thought id share with you geeks as I dont have many others to share with :( i would make more money doing o/t at my day job. :confused:

In every business it takes anything from 18 months to 3 years to start turning a profit, before this and your quids in... This is based on the average person selling there butt all over the place getting the name out there and really telling Everyman and his dog they see to come to them. It's hard going and very frustrating, having 2 regulars in one year is pants, but have you really advertised.

If I was to consider closing my doors I would sit and look back at what I've done asking 'did I do everything I could to get the name out there, spread the word and grow my business' if I answer no to any of them then I keep going until the answers turn to all yes's once this happens I think what am I doing wrong and fix that. Business needs drive and determination with no rewards short term so you reap the rewards in the future....

Good luck in all you do and decide Hun x

In every business it takes anything from 18 months to 3 years to start turning a profit, before this and your quids in... This is based on the average person selling there butt all over the place getting the name out there and really telling Everyman and his dog they see to come to them. It's hard going and very frustrating, having 2 regulars in one year is pants, but have you really advertised.

If I was to consider closing my doors I would sit and look back at what I've done asking 'did I do everything I could to get the name out there, spread the word and grow my business' if I answer no to any of them then I keep going until the answers turn to all yes's once this happens I think what am I doing wrong and fix that. Business needs drive and determination with no rewards short term so you reap the rewards in the future....

Good luck in all you do and decide Hun x

Ah thank you for your support on this thread! I am trying to promote as hard as I can...I can't seem to get anymore likes on fb at the moment though, apart from friends. I've only got about 14 likes. I really hope I do start reaping some rewards soon. I have one of my regulars to do tomorrow evening so I am going to tell her that she can have a free set if she has more than 4 people attending a shellac party (including her) hopefully that may drum up some more business xx

Latest posts

Back