Should you charge models when training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darry

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently half way through studying the VTCT Level 2 Manicure and Pedicure course. I'd really like to get some practical experience and I'm considering putting some leaflets out locally asking for models.
I use Morgan Taylor lacquer and Gelish. I've contacted my local Nail Harmony educator and I can complete their different training options once I've finished my college course.
Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should charge models and if so what is a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions .

Would love some input or suggestions please.

I would suggest charging a little bit just to cover products. I charge $20 for a full set with a gel polish at home, but my college doesn't make us charge anything when we bring models to the school.

I had friends model, I was just so happy they helped me out, I didn’t charge them anything.

I recommend charging a little bit, so you can afford to replenish your supply as well. I trained with CND a few months back in January, and I charged the equivalent around £30-35 during my training period which only about 1/3 of a full set around here. I got more models than I could handle because they jumped at the low price and weren't super fussy if it wasn't perfect. :p So perhaps consider charging perhaps 1/3 of a full set price in this period while training?

I had friends model, I was just so happy they helped me out, I didn’t charge them anything.

Most of my friends work full time and have children so aren't able to come in the evening and a lot do jobs where they can't wear polish (nurses etc) that's why I'd like to get some models who live locally. X

I recommend charging a little bit, so you can afford to replenish your supply as well. I trained with CND a few months back in January, and I charged the equivalent around £30-35 during my training period which only about 1/3 of a full set around here. I got more models than I could handle because they jumped at the low price and weren't super fussy if it wasn't perfect. :p So perhaps consider charging perhaps 1/3 of a full set price in this period while training?

I'm not sure what the going rate for gelish polish is where I live so I'll have to do some research and decide on a reasonable price to charge. Thanks for your advice. X

I'm not sure what the going rate for gelish polish is where I live so I'll have to do some research and decide on a reasonable price to charge. Thanks for your advice. X

I actually misread your original post and thought you were doing a course in gel nails (extensions), my bad lol! :pBut nonetheless, you should charge even though training. What I did (although I do gel nail extensions) is I did a few family members for free first, and then when I practiced on strangers I started charging roughly 1/3 of going rate, to cover my costs. Even if you only charge 5 or 10 pounds per model, it's going to add up so you can buy more colours and product, and not be out of pocket as much. :)I took use of making a FB Page for myself, I posted on FB marketplace, facebook groups for buying/selling/trading, and a local website that is sort of the equivalent of Gumtree (maybe). I also made sure to state in my posts that they'll have to have plenty of time, because I was sooo slow in the beginning (still a slowpoke, but my timings have improved). Good luck! :D

That’s about what I’m planning. FB marketplace is really useful. I’ve sometimes gone to sit for trainee haircuts and lashes etc. I regularly look to see what’s on offer and I’m sure I’m probably one of many who appreciate the discount in return for being a little less fussy and a little more patient.

For each of my training modules, I always required a model for that evening. I never charged them while I was training. I just put it down to learning to practice and these people have volunteered their time to allow me to do so. I also always offered a free removal or refresh to either keep it up, or have the product removed and I would travel to them to do so. Anything following that, I would charge and they would have to come to my home salon but started at half price rates straight out of training for hands on experience and until I got faster.

I also didn't charge my models, but I used friends and family for my my training, some of them also had to take holiday from work in order to come with me to classes, which I was very grateful for,

Latest posts

Back