Silk nail repair under Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could only find the silk in a strip so have to free hand cut it to the shape. I think you can get the wraps though from Backscratchers.

Sooo glad I came across this thread. I too have only ever done natural nails and Shellac and no nothing about silk nail repairs so this is fantastic.

I usually order from CNDor Youngs Nails, do any of you know if they sell silk? I couldnt see it. Or I guess im better off getting it from Ellisons etc?

So, do some come shaped ready for a nail and some in strips?

Do you have to use a gel resin to adhere? underneath the base coat?

If you are just repairing one nail do you charge? If so how much?

How much longer does it take? (per nail)

Thankyou

Last edited:
Sooo glad I came across this thread. I too have only ever done natural nails and Shellac and no nothing about silk nail repairs so this is fantastic.

I usually order from CNDor Youngs Nails, do any of you know if they sell silk? I couldnt see it. Or I guess im better off getting it from Ellisons etc?

So, do some come shaped ready for a nail and some in strips?

Do you have to use a gel resin to adhere? underneath the base coat?

If you are just repairing one nail do you charge? If so how much?

How much longer does it take? (per nail)

Thankyou

Ok, I don't know the answer to all of your questions but I do know that you can buy nail shaped fibreglass wraps which look similar to minx in how they are packaged I.e a row of nail shapes on a strip. Check out fingernail fixer's fibreglass repair video for a peak at what they look like. They are self adhesive.

I also now know that the strips of silk and fibreglass that you can buy in your wholesaler are also self adhesive. I wasn't aware of this before (being a natural nails girl) and was bemused by all the talk of resins and activators. I have simply bought a strip of self adhesive silk and have even cutting it to size (much to the amusement of those around me. Whole other story. In another post!).

I'm sorry I can't really answer your other questions at this stage as I am still very much in a learning curve myself xx

Oh and according to a quote above, one can buy the wraps from backscratchers x

Thankyou Geeg.

Would some kind geek send me a link to the most appropriate products to buy?

I am sure I have read that not all of them need resin? Some of them are self adhering?

This is what is confusing more than anything!

Also, what is the preference and difference between silk and fibreglass?

I also do this quite a lot with Gelish, I have brought the fibreglass strips that are shaped and self adhesive. I prep as usual, cut out a piece of fibreglass and put it on whole of nail, apply foundation, patting it down and cure, I then apply a thin layer of structure gel, cure, file if needed ie, any bumps of bits of fibreglass poking out, then do Gelish colour etc.

It works a treat :) x

Now, I am in NO WAY recommeding you do this with clients.. but a couple of weeks ago I caught my thumbnail with a knife and split it about half way across the width, right down in the nail bed... I had no silk to hand, but I needed to do something quick as I knew if it broke it was going to hurt like hell.. so I googled and found a very weird tip about using teabag paper to repair nails! :D

One cut up teabag later, I made a little patch and applied it to the nail with a very thin layer of clear gel over the top, which seemed to fix it, so I carried on and did my Shellac over the top as normal..... It's been on there for two weeks now and the break is growing out nicely! :D:D

I've since bought some silk so I don't have to do that again, but good to know it works in case of dire emergency!!

I remember back when I was in grade 4, my teacher had beautiful nails ALL the time, I asked one day if they were real, she said 'no, she makes them herself out of tea bags and nail adhesive". I asked her to show me and the next time she broke a nail she bought all the stuff to school and we sat in the classroom at lunch and she showed me how she built this long extension from tea bags and adhesive.....I still think about this to this day (I'm now 38, I was 9 back when this happened).
So the tea bag thing has been around for a long time:)

I use silk exactly the same way as pretty much every one else except I use Polish Pro from NSI and I find it works a treat and my clients with split nails, weak nails, peeling nails etc love it.

Latest posts

Back