Silk nail repair under Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Want to share this with you if it has not already been covered somewhere in Shellac's history. I acknowledge that this is not something I am aware has been taught or recommended by Shellac educators. It worked for me on myself though and I am pleased with the result.

I am going a little longer than usual before having my nails re Shellacked before I go on holiday, so they are a tad longer than usual. I have been nursing the index fingernail of my right hand because it has started to tear just below the smile line on both sides whilst all the others look great.

So last night I decided to try a silk repair under Shellac. I removed the product on that nail and then did one base coat and applied a small piece of silk across from side wall to side wall. I tapped it gently into the base coat so it sat flush and neatly and then cured for 10 secs. I then finished the rest of the nail as one would with chosen colour and top coat.

Hey presto, nail is strong and no sign of the silk. Has anyone else done a silk repair under Shellac and could it be recommended on clients?

Want to share this with you if it has not already been covered somewhere in Shellac's history. I acknowledge that this is not something I am aware has been taught or recommended by Shellac educators. It worked for me on myself though and I am pleased with the result.

I am going a little longer than usual before having my nails re Shellacked before I go on holiday, so they are a tad longer than usual. I have been nursing the index fingernail of my right hand because it has started to tear just below the smile line on both sides whilst all the others look great.

So last night I decided to try a silk repair under Shellac. I removed the product on that nail and then did one base coat and applied a small piece of silk across from side wall to side wall. I tapped it gently into the base coat so it sat flush and neatly and then cured for 10 secs. I then finished the rest of the nail as one would with chosen colour and top coat.

Hey presto, nail is strong and no sign of the silk. Has anyone else done a silk repair under Shellac and could it be recommended on clients?

I do this for repairs but usually also do another base coat over the top of the silk for added strength and to ensure it is totally smooth

I do this for repairs but usually also do another base coat over the top of the silk for added strength and to ensure it is totally smooth
I forgot to mention that. I did do a second base coat. My gut said...repeat the base coat.

I do this Mrs Clooney but use self adhesive silk, place on the nail, then scrub base coat in, cure and then carry on as normal- just like fingernail fixer does in her video on fibreglass. I sometimes double top coat, but i personally don't think it's necessary. I use it for breakages and also i had one client with quite bad peeling nails, she still wanted shellac so just used the above method and hey presto lasted two weeks.

Fab isnt it! :hug:

I do this Mrs Clooney but use self adhesive silk, place on the nail, then scrub base coat in, cure and then carry on as normal- just like fingernail fixer does in her video on fibreglass. I sometimes double top coat, but i personally don't think it's necessary. I use it for breakages and also i had one client with quite bad peeling nails, she still wanted shellac so just used the above method and hey presto lasted two weeks.

Fab isnt it! :hug:

We Shellackers have been doing repairs like this from the start Mrs Clooney, but it was all figured out by a nail tech just like you!! :hug: That's where all the best ideas come from ... Other technicians just like us! Here's to us!!

I've recently tried this with fibreglass like I saw in Holly's video, under Gelicure though. I split a nail almost all the way off my right middle finger about 3 weeks ago, and the nail is still in tact, so I'm very pleased. It was so low it would have been really painful (and ugly! :lol:)

We Shellackers have been doing repairs like this from the start Mrs Clooney, but it was all figured out by a nail tech just like you!! :hug: That's where all the best ideas come from ... Other technicians just like us! Here's to us!!

I have used silk for repairs with gels, just was not sure it was an approved method for Shellac because Shellac is not as thick as gel. I searched it but didn't see anything... but hey if it's the done thing then I am going to go for it on clients if they need it. Yeah!

I have saved my nail for another week until I have them redone and then at least the break will be beyond the tender nail bed :) .

I've done this many a time using silk, great way to hold the small little splits, for splits that go across more then a third of the nail, I do a silk repair with gel then shellac on top to really make sure it holds until it grows down.

I've done this many a time using silk, great way to hold the small little splits, for splits that go across more then a third of the nail, I do a silk repair with gel then shellac on top to really make sure it holds until it grows down.

Same here! :)

Would someone please recommend where I can buy this self adhesive silk or fibreglass and what it looks like?? I tried to buy some after asking a question exactly on this topic. At all of my local wholesalers, all I could find were longish (ruler width) strips of fibreglass or silk and they didn't say they were self adhesive. The servers in the stores suggested I also needed to buy resin and activator. At which point, I gave up in total confusion. (I don't know anything about resins and activators having only ever done natural nails). I would be SO grateful for some help on buying these little self adhesive 'strips' or wraps or whatever they are. Thank you all so much! xx

Oh and thank you Mrs Clooney for this super helpful post! And sorry to have hijacked. xx

what you saw in a strip is what we use, you just cut little pieces off to whatever size you require, i got mine from bio sculpture but most places do it. it is used with resin and activators for fibreglass nails but we are just using it in shellac to repair. hth

what you saw in a strip is what we use, you just cut little pieces off to whatever size you require, i got mine from bio sculpture but most places do it. it is used with resin and activators for fibreglass nails but we are just using it in shellac to repair. hth

Yes it does help! Are these strips self adhesive then? They don't say so on the packets. x

Yes they should be

xxx

Thank you! When I think of how many packets I picked up and how many different places I visited. I'm a Wally. Do you think fibreglass or silk is better at these repairs? And how much do you need to use? Roughly? Thank you all again! x

I find silk works very well on me when I've needed it a couple of times over the last year. I also do it just like Holly does in her video.

I have never needed to do it on a client, but feel confident enough from my own experience with it that it would work on them too.

So glad this has been posted as I was going to start a thread myself. Sorry to hijack for a minute :o

I have a client who comes to me every week for Shellac. Her nails grow at an amazing rate and in just a week she looks like she has 2 weeks re-growth!

Anyway, when she first came to me, she had been a NSS l&p wearer and had had them removed to come to me for Shellac instead. Her nails were in an awful condition and over the weeks we have worked hard together and her nails were starting to look great.

However, she has been very poorly over the last few weeks with severe kidney infections and has been in and out of hospital and her nails have gone back to a poor state. She is oiling her nails like mad but it's making no difference. Her smile lines have even started to grow wonky and her nails are peeling quite badly.

So I wondered if I apply silk or fibreglass under the Shellac, could this help them whilst her health is poor? Or will this be a pointless task and won't make any difference? She's feeling quite downhearted, as am I tbh, as we've worked so hard to get them looking nice and now it's like starting from the beginning. I'm filing them down very short and she is using solar oil 4-5 times a day. Any advice greatly received and apologies for jumping in on your thread :o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

This is the silk I use for repairs and I don't see any harm for using it for extra strength too, I have a client that has one nail that always peels on the free edge and I always use silk to help gelish or shellac to stay put and it works well.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349891983.945034.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349891983.945034.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 197
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349892001.902845.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349892001.902845.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 187
So glad this has been posted as I was going to start a thread myself. Sorry to hijack for a minute :o

I have a client who comes to me every week for Shellac. Her nails grow at an amazing rate and in just a week she looks like she has 2 weeks re-growth!

Anyway, when she first came to me, she had been a NSS l&p wearer and had had them removed to come to me for Shellac instead. Her nails were in an awful condition and over the weeks we have worked hard together and her nails were starting to look great.

However, she has been very poorly over the last few weeks with severe kidney infections and has been in and out of hospital and her nails have gone back to a poor state. She is oiling her nails like mad but it's making no difference. Her smile lines have even started to grow wonky and her nails are peeling quite badly.

So I wondered if I apply silk or fibreglass under the Shellac, could this help them whilst her health is poor? Or will this be a pointless task and won't make any difference? She's feeling quite downhearted, as am I tbh, as we've worked so hard to get them looking nice and now it's like starting from the beginning. I'm filing them down very short and she is using solar oil 4-5 times a day. Any advice greatly received and apologies for jumping in on your thread :o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi Planky, yes I would have a go it could well help and if nothing else at least she can see you are trying and you care :hug: HTH's xx

This is the silk I use for repairs and I don't see any harm for using it for extra strength too, I have a client that has one nail that always peels on the free edge and I always use silk to help gelish or shellac to stay put and it works well.

Could I please ask how much of a piece one would use to make a repair over say a horizontal split? Does it need to cover the entire nail or just the split itself (like a suture for example). I note that fingernail fixer uses a nail shaped fibreglass wrap which covers the whole nail. Thank you in advance xx

Latest posts

Back