Silk nail repair under Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I also ask about removal of tr shellac when silk is underneath, does it make a difference to removal process? So glad to find this thread as my mum has very peeling nails! xxxx

I have used it in a small piece to fix a small tear and also as a piece on the whole nail to add strength both options work a treat, I have found the removal a little slower but literally by 1-2 mins. Planky1 I have used this method on a lady whose nails are in a real state as she picked her gel nails off. She is due back next week but so far so good will let you know final outcome

Great, thank you Buffy and Welly :hug: Will get some and give it a go. Will look up Holly's video you are all saying about too. How much extra would you charge on top to do silk/fibreglass on every nail? Another £5?

Great, thank you Buffy and Welly :hug: Will get some and give it a go. Will look up Holly's video you are all saying about too. How much extra would you charge on top to do silk/fibreglass on every nail? Another £5?

It's where I first saw it. x

http://youtu.be/gorO1jMs-Mo

I charged £7 more than my usual shellac price as its quite a timely process

Hi
I have only just seen this thread

But I have been using fibreglass/silk with Biosculpture/calgel for nail repairs for the past 10 years. It works a treat .. so I am pleased to find that it works for Shellac too.

xx

Hi
I have only just seen this thread

But I have been using fibreglass/silk with Biosculpture/calgel for nail repairs for the past 10 years. It works a treat .. so I am pleased to find that it works for Shellac too.

xx

Which do you think is the better of the two options? If at all. Thank you. I saw both today in my local wholesaler and couldn't decide which to get x

Which do you think is the better of the two options? If at all. Thank you. I saw both today in my local wholesaler and couldn't decide which to get x

I've watched Holly's video and she warns about fibreglass fibres getting onto her shellac brush, so I wonder if that means silk is preferable to prevent risk of fibres getting into shellac? I've not used either yet so i don't know myself, just speculating! xxxx

I use fibreglass, my local sallys didn't have any silk in when I needed it so didn't have a choice.

I decant a bit of base coat on to a tile and then make sure my brush gets a good clean so no fibres in it before I put it back into the bottle.

xxx

I have a separate shellac basecoat for silk / fibreglass repairs as I found I was getting bits in my brush no matter how much I cleaned it.

Happy Saturday Geeks! Well.. i tried the silk under mum's shellac last Sunday after reading this thread and watching youtube, and it's lasted so much better than normal already (it's only been a week but mum's nails flake lots). The problem is, the strip of silk is quite visible on the nail :( as in, there is a bit of a ridge where the silk starts. I used a strip across the tip of the nail rather than covering the whole nail like holly does in the video. My question is, should I have buffed it or something to try to get rid of the ridge? here are the steps for what I did...

file, cuticle away, metal pushie and probe, soapy wash and dry, scrub fresh
Base coat cure 10 secs
apply strip of silk across top of nail towards free edge & trim edges, pushed down with birchwood stick to get it flush on the nail particularly towards the nail walls
second layer of base coat over full nail (used tile method to avoid fibres - thank you stephiebaby!)
then the usual 2 x color, top coat, dsperse, solar oil...

I think Mrs Clooney said she applied her silk to the uncured shellac base coat, so could this have made a difference in the way it sat on the nail? i think this could be where I went wrong? I will obviously try again when re shellac my mum as want to get it right on my guinea pig before paying customers!

and can I also say, what a bloomin faf the silk is!! :D serious test of patience! defo charging at least extra £5 to make that worth while!! xxxx

I have been doing this for ages, and never have any ridges showing. My clients are all amazed with the process!

I personally use silk and I cut it to fit the nail shape and cover the entire nail plate. This way the strength is added across the nail and there shouldn't be any ridges.

I mainly use Gelish, but I basecoat all nails as usual, add the silk to the nails needing it, then apply another layer of basecoat to those particular nails making sure to catch the edges/ridges/sides of the silk. Then I go on to colour and top coat as usual.

So far *touch wood* not had any problems with any of the clients I have used it on and it's saved some very low splits.

I have been doing this for ages, and never have any ridges showing. My clients are all amazed with the process!

I personally use silk and I cut it to fit the nail shape and cover the entire nail plate. This way the strength is added across the nail and there shouldn't be any ridges.

I mainly use Gelish, but I basecoat all nails as usual, add the silk to the nails needing it, then apply another layer of basecoat to those particular nails making sure to catch the edges/ridges/sides of the silk. Then I go on to colour and top coat as usual.

So far *touch wood* not had any problems with any of the clients I have used it on and it's saved some very low splits.

Thanks Claire's boutique! I will try the full nail next time and see how I get on ridge-wise! :) xxxx

Now, I am in NO WAY recommeding you do this with clients.. but a couple of weeks ago I caught my thumbnail with a knife and split it about half way across the width, right down in the nail bed... I had no silk to hand, but I needed to do something quick as I knew if it broke it was going to hurt like hell.. so I googled and found a very weird tip about using teabag paper to repair nails! :D

One cut up teabag later, I made a little patch and applied it to the nail with a very thin layer of clear gel over the top, which seemed to fix it, so I carried on and did my Shellac over the top as normal..... It's been on there for two weeks now and the break is growing out nicely! :D:D

I've since bought some silk so I don't have to do that again, but good to know it works in case of dire emergency!!

I had heard a tea bag worked lol never tried it though I always use silk xxx

Oh I love this thread! Thanks for sharing fab ideas! I clearly don one here as often as I should :)

Yes I do this a lot! X

I do it exactly like Holly and have had no ridges and no fibres. Give it another go like this and you will see the difference.

I do it exactly like Holly and have had no ridges and no fibres. Give it another go like this and you will see the difference.

Do you use whole nail shaped wraps the way Holly does or do you cut your silk into a nail shape? Thank you in advance :) x

Latest posts

Back