Silver shampoo for Brassy, yellowy looking hair! help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow08

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I went to my hairdresser a few days ago and asked to go a lighter blonde (my hair was already quite a light blonde anyway, not bleach just highlighted I would say my natural haircolour is a dark mousey blonde) anyway my hairdresser bleached my roots and did the rest with a high lift tint. The problem is my hair is now very very bright and has a yellow tint to it too! This is too bright for me!

I have been to a few salons to ask for advice and most of them have said to leave it for at least a week before doing anything to it and have recommend that I use a 'silver' toning shampoo..I asked where I could get this and have been told to look in a chemist but can't seem to find this I just wondered if anyone could recommend a particular shampoo that I can buy in the shops that would have this effect? I am really desperate to get my hair looking more natural but need a quick fix before I can see a hairdresser! I am also using John Frieda Blonde Boost Moosse which has a pale violet tint to it which is helping to get rid of the brassy look!

I hope someone can help me with this :0 Thanks

I would go back to the hairdressers and ask them to put a toner through, it may be too late for it but I know they tone my high lift in the salon.

Im sure some of the hair geeks will have more info regrding the toner x

Hi Everyone,

I went to my hairdresser a few days ago and asked to go a lighter blonde (my hair was already quite a light blonde anyway, not bleach just highlighted I would say my natural haircolour is a dark mousey blonde) anyway my hairdresser bleached my roots and did the rest with a high lift tint. The problem is my hair is now very very bright and has a yellow tint to it too! This is too bright for me!

I have been to a few salons to ask for advice and most of them have said to leave it for at least a week before doing anything to it and have recommend that I use a 'silver' toning shampoo..I asked where I could get this and have been told to look in a chemist but can't seem to find this I just wondered if anyone could recommend a particular shampoo that I can buy in the shops that would have this effect? I am really desperate to get my hair looking more natural but need a quick fix before I can see a hairdresser! I am also using John Frieda Blonde Boost Moosse which has a pale violet tint to it which is helping to get rid of the brassy look!

I hope someone can help me with this :0 Thanks
i am surprised non recommended a silver shampoo...
clynol do a great silver shampoo (clynol refelx silver shampoo)hun. you can get it online from most hairproduct sites. or ring round salons to see if they stock clynol
as for using a high street mousse's..you have to be careful as some do contain metalic salts...which is a big no no and most hairdressers will have to do a compatibility test before they dare do any chemical treatments on your hair hun if metalic salts are suspected
try the silver shampoo from clynol...it looks scary.....but it is very good.

Thank you so much for your help! :) I will have a look for the Clynol shampoo hopefully that will work and take away the brightness too! It's just too much for me and no one will touch my hair without seeing some re-growth first before even attempting highlights or lowlights :S Just hoping that it will slowly fade with time? thanks again for your help x

another silver shampoo which is great is, schwarzkopf bonacure silver shampoo, you can get it from sallys or online!

i used it when my hair was "white" and used to leave it in for an hour!

:)

Great will try that one also! :) Thanks so much for your help :)

I use Avedas Blue Malva, it gives my blonde a really `clean look`. its a very rich shampoo (you can also get a matching conditioner) and my hair feels great after using it

Last edited:
With schwarzkopf silver you can' go wrong, i use is it (my hair is now blonde not like in the avatar...) i like it very light without the yellow tone and this way it is just perfect!

I always shampoo my hair with so silver by Matrix, it works real good :)

I always shampoo my hair with so silver by Matrix, it works real good :)

That is the one I currently use.

I must say that these ones that are available through salons are far better quality than the OTC ones and although are initially more expensive they actually save money in the long run as you need to use far less of it each time.

The best thing I ever found for blonde hair is Redken Blonde Glam Pure Pearl Treatment, combined with a silver shampoo (can't remember which but it was a salon brand) it gave me super soft and shiny platinum blonde locks. If there's a salon near you that stocks Redken get down there pronto and see what they recommend!

there are loads of really good shampoos out there ,but if you have trouble finding one try a wella sachet fromshaders and toners 8.1 (dont leave it on more than a min ) i think the colours called moonlight or something - iveused it loads

The blue malva shampoo and conditioner from aveda is fab.

Hey,

Im very new to this site :confused:

But I have to say, The "Matrix So Silver" shampoo is superb.
I was origianally a brunette, when i went blonde and still after using a toner, my hair was still very orangey yellow in places... I used the so silver shampoo and it has cleaned the yellow tones completely out of my hair. Its great, i love it... woop xx

Ps... Look for a salon in your area that uses Matrix products and simply ask them to order some for you.. easy peasy x

I use a purple shampoo from the makers of Rusk? I will have alook when I bimble upstairs

Thanks for all your help! As I needed a quick fix i went into Sainsburys (not great I know) and got John Frieda blonde conditioner its the new range its meant to help take away the brassiness! It has worked a bit! As I really want a quick fix I am having my hair coloured again but need a little bit of help..what would be the best option to keep my hair a nice blonde but obviously take away the fact that it is very bright? I thought lowlights? but could this be done with blonde, or if I was too add blonde would it jsut make the hair lighter?

Latest posts

Back