size of desk etc affect enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
this got me thinking today , as somedays i suffer more than others, ill begin lol!!!
i have a small desk at work its very narrow , my knees touch my clients knees, and i work with a cushioned wrist rest , its quite bulky, ( great for polishing as the clients hands droop over it ideal for polishing) but ,
somedays i find i work better and do better nails if the client is further away from me and sometimes i find my nails are rubbish if they are over the wrist rest, but if i remove the rest they are flat and i cant get to them , if you know what i mean,
to be honest with you, im struggling with back ache after a long day, and wonder sometimes why i can speed through one application, and struggle with another, but i put this down to the clients distance away from me,
does this all make sense, ?
have any of you had this and altered something in the placement of the client or hands and felt better?
how do you all work ??

ps the wrist rest is a portable one about 6 inches high , made of sponge, covered in a terry towelling zip up cover( do you know what i mean lol!!!)

Little changes can make all the difference Nikki -

Make sure your chair is at the correct height - I find if my elbows are lower than the clients/my hands then this can make me feel awkward and tense:eek:

If you are to close to them - your shoulders and arms will be hunched up - therefore making you tense:eek:

Like you have mentioned - if your wrist rest feels too high/uncomfortable , you will be conscious of it and again you will hold your upper body tense - try (which you may have already done) rolling a towel up and placing under your clients wrist

I try to keep as much off my desk as possible so I can spread out whilst doing the treatment/enhancements - this means I have to stand up or move around to get products/tools (which are all placed together on another table ready) this gives me opportunity to stretch every now and again

Just a few suggestions which work for me :green: hths :hug: snuggs xx

Nikki I hear ya, distance between you and your client is vital to being comfortable, for both of you. I push and pull my clients arm until I get them at the right place for me. Otherwise I end up twisted and bent (think hunchback of notredam.... ?!) My client chair has arm rests so they can use the chair as an extension to the table for getting comfortable. My chair is a chiropractic office chair (I prefer a saddle though)

lotus blossom said:
ps the wrist rest is a portable one about 6 inches high , made of sponge, covered in a terry towelling zip up cover( do you know what i mean lol!!!)
These things scare me!!
I hope you take it home and clean it daily?
If not try banging it against the wall hard and watch the mushroom cloud of dust from the last months worth of clients... yuck all that gunk mixed intogether, and we let out clients rest there arm on it...??

thanks both of you for the advice,
allen ( i do cover the wrist rest in towels for each client lol)
but i think i let my client get comfortable and work round them which is not good for me application wise!!!!!
im sooo fed up with clients nodding off or slumping down cos theyre soo tired or relaxed ( i should say lol)
i will make a more concerted efort to get them in the right position, and myself too, my chair is justa height adjustable little stool , and clients chairs is a padded soft armed chair that rocks a bit ( which is not good at smile line placement lol!!!!!!!!!!!!)
thanks mates xxxx

Check my picture galery ,Lotus Blossom.
I found this desk design works good especialy for figidy clients and very tired ones.Your proper posture is very important.Make sure your desk is right height and width and your chair has adjustable height,so you can adjust it easy and keep your feet flat on the floor . Otherwise you will start to suffer from headache, neck pain, , pain in your shoulders & arms and lower back pain.And not to mention nerves ,when your smiles turned out looking more like grim faces.:irked:

I always tell my students to think of the piece of paper, when they are writing at a desk. To write comfortably and legibly, the paper has to be at the perfect angle to the writer and the height of the chair has to be comfortable for your arm to rest on. We do not accommodate the paper, we make the paper accommodate US.

Clients have to accommodate us too and all the other things that others have mentioned also have to be in the right position.

I too am having this kind of problem. My desk has shelves on the right (underneath) and drawers on the left. Handy to store stuff. All my products are on the right including lamp which is actually where the gap is to put our legs. So, we end up too far over to the right and I can't actually "get to" the clients left hand properly. It always seems at the wrong angle. Plus they are facing the window, so when their friend pops in the salon, they wiz round to the right and start to natter!!!!! This also starts them gesturing which is SO NOT GOOD for smile lines!!! Especially when its a million degrees and the l&p sets and a rate of knots! They think its okay to do this - lol.
I need a new desk, new chairs and a mirror behind me so they dont need to turn round to see their friends!! (I cant turn the desk round the other way - there is no space). Problem is, I also need products, more training, and more clients etc etc before I can afford it ..... what comes first?

I've been struggling with the same thing lately. I opened up my shop about a month ago and for now i'm using a regular office desk to work on. My back has been really sore because the desk is too wide and i end up leaning forward to reach the client's hands. I'm in the process of designing a new desk, and i was wondering how wide i should make it. How wide are the desks that you work with?

Latest posts

Back