Skin Cancer & Sunbeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think spray tans/fake tan is great, but its not much good if you are going on holiday and don't want to look like a white slug by the pool, as soon as you go into the water, sea or pool, it goes all patchy, so really for longevity, sunbeds are the answer, in moderation however:lol:, i.e before an annual holiday.

I think spray tans/fake tan is great, but its not much good if you are going on holiday and don't want to look like a white slug by the pool, as soon as you go into the water, sea or pool, it goes all patchy, so really for longevity, sunbeds are the answer, in moderation however:lol:, i.e before an annual holiday.

Before I trained to do Tantrick tanning myself I used to have a spray tan before every holiday. I have never gone patchy when going in the water, sea or pool. I have found them reaaly good - as the spray tan fades, my own tan builds up.

Hi Kim (and all)

I use sunbeds and am really worried about the risk of cancer. I'm 29 and have been using them since I was 16, but regularly since I was 24. That's not TOO bad, is it? How old were you when you got it? You look so young. Did you use them loads?

Hope you're better now and staying safe. Fake bake, that's what we need!

Lou x

Ps. Am kind of thinking about writing a piece on skin cancer... Would love to speak to someone who has had a scare... Might you be interested?...:)

Tantrick now supply information, leaflets posters etc, which has been provided from Cancer Research about skin cancer with all our training packs. Whilst they may not look pretty, they are very REAL and may help to save peoples lives.

This campaign is in the hope that it may alert therapists to point out any odd moles, irregularites and patches on the skin which may look suspicious. We very often see more of our clients skin than they do and if we see anything which could do with being checked out by a doctor we will mention it to our clients.

I hope that other spray tanning distributors / companies will follow suit.............

Mandy x

As some of you probably already know, I am in the process of opening a spa and have been toying with the idea of having a stand up sun shower in the reception area (it is a big reception and would be concealed so wouldn't look ugly) - I have used sunbeds myself in the past only for a few mins a week but to clear up bad skin (ironically!) but have worried when I have used them and felt guilty. So getting to the point - after reading this I have decided I won't have them in my spa!

The trouble is some skin cancers are not that obvious. My partner has twice had treatment for skin cancer on the tip of his ear. You wouldn't notice it was there, it doesnt look like a mole, it was spotted only because his doctor was syringing his ears. My Grandmother died of skin cancer and I'm probably predisposed to it - being blue eyed, fair skinned and from SW Scotland. I dont sit in the sun, have never been on a sunbed and never will. I spray several women who have had skin cancer and if only they could turn the clock back. I have a friend who is a true sun worshipper, she's only 2 years older than me but she looks at least 10 years older simply because of the years spent in the sun. Dont do it I say, fake it - there are so many sophisticated products on the market now. Australia and the US are more mature markets than the UK but we are getting there!

I'm afraid of the damage from suntan beds. My sister in law has had cancer (not skin cancer) and she continues to use tan beds at least 2 times a week!!! Yikes!! This scares me.

I am proud of the fact that I an a suntan bed virgin! I've never been in one nor do I want to. I get all the sun I need and want from being outdoors.

Typical me i'd completly forgotten about this thread and can't believe the responce I've had from it. :) Thank You so much everyone.

I was 22 when I was diagnosed and I'm 23 now so its been about 18 months since it all happened and I'm pleased to say I've still not been on a sunbed, as much as I'd love to.

My cousin had a scare a month ago, turns out it was a growing mole!?!?

Its just all so real in this world and there are more and more cases of it which is scary. For me it wasn't so much the use of tanning excelerators as slapping brylcrem on to gain a tan. I really think something should be done to deter youngsters to go on them but who am I to tell people what to do with there body!?!

As the doctor says slip slap slop that cream on. xxx

You can get nearly all natural spray tans now which are much safer than many everyday products we use and they smell fantastic.

There are much better options than frying up on a sunbed. And tan accelerators dont block out harmful rays they are designed to speed up the process and generally contain harsh ingredients.

being mixed race i have never really been that bothered about being tanned, i like to go a little darker but wouldn't resort to a sunbed. The thing that shocks me about them is just how cheap the sessions are, no wonder people get addicted, when you're talking a few quid compared to £25 for a spray tan application. Sun and Sunbeds are so dangerous, i know from family experience how real the risks can be, my dad has had three cancerous growths removed from his neck, the cause, too many beach holidays when he was young, with no sun cream! No matter the risk i think people will probably keep using sunbeds as dangerous as they are, bit like smoking i suppose, if you need that tan that badly you may well ignore the risks, its only when you or someone you know suffers the ill effects that the risks seem real. really glad you have recovered well Kim, please don't ever go back on one! xxx

Id fake it everyday of the week! Much safer, no damage to the skin!

I personally would not use a sunbed becaude of the associated risks, and the fact that it ages the skin prematurley.
I think its irresponsible of these businesses that have cubicles that are coin operated and have no one supervising.
If you do decide to use one then at least you are aware of the risks, but i would fake tan it all the way.:)jmo

Hey kim!

So sorry to hear you've had skin cancer; I hope your recovery is going okay. Personally I always say to people that "smart gals fake it!". There are so many good fake tans on the market these days that give a lovely natural colour, so play it safe and use those.

But why not speak to your doctor on sunbathing and sunbedding. He's gonna be the person to give you the best advice.

Good luck!

pinkii x

I know alot of people who have never used a tanning bed, nor outside sungoddess' and have skin cancer.

I think it really comes down to " Everything in smart moderation" and knowing your family history of cancer.

Not to cause any attitudes to come out here but How do you know that this spray tan stuff isn't soaking into the skin and causing problems that will come out later in life?

How do you know that the cup of coffee you drink each morning or the makeup you put on your face everyday, or the deodorant that you use everyday is NOT going to cause cancer somewhere in your body?

You don't!

As I said before..Everything In Moderation.

going in a tanning bed more than twice a week..to me is asking for trouble.

Tell ya a story, When I first started out in this business, tanning was the biggest hit. The salon I worked at had 6 tanning beds. We were trained to know these beds.
One day we have this girl come in and tan with us. she insisted for the full time (20 mins) She signs the release card etc. Goes in for the full 20.

Her skin is not white, nice base tan. Tans very easily.

We later find out ..2 days later..this girl is stupid enough to have hit every single tanning salon in our area all on the same day. For the full 20mins each. If remember correctly it was like 6 tanning salons..

She was admitted to the hospital that my sister worked at with 3rd degree burns all over her body.
Apparently she did not believe in moderation and wanted it all right now. Well she got it alright. Her parents tried suing all the salons, but it didn't even go to court because this girl signed the release cards.

I often wonder how she is doing these 20 years later..:rolleyes:

I get what you're saying about the moderation thing, Jayne, and agree with you :green:

How do you know that the cup of coffee you drink each morning or the makeup you put on your face everyday, or the deodorant that you use everyday is NOT going to cause cancer somewhere in your body?

You don't!

However, we do know that UV radiation causes skin cancer, just as we do know that smoking causes all types of nasty conditions. So shouldn't we stop (or at least be sensible about) doing the things that we do know are bad for us, and not worry about the things that have not been proven to be harmful, as yet? :green:

So shouldn't we stop (or at least be sensible about)

yes be sensible about it..Everything in moderation.
Life is too short to give everything that brings you pleasure, up.

yes be sensible about it..Everything in moderation.
Life is too short to give everything that brings you pleasure, up.

Even if those pleasures are almost certain to affect our quality of life and can potentially cause death from one single exposure?

Being sensible is using common sense!

I have said it before and I will say it again.

I know alot of people who have never used a tanning bed, nor outside sungoddess' and have skin cancer.

There are not any guarantees in life that by tanning you will get cancer..or not. Common sense and moderation are the keys to it.

Kim did not have neither in my opinion (sorry kim :hug:) She was what we called a tan goddess with a obsession going 2 times a day :eek: .
I tan once a week , Feb thru June then I am done. I use common sense and wear a sunscreen and put a towel over my face, and do not use tan enchantments or accelerators.
I do use a fake tan on my face for aging reasons.

Holy heck batman, even doctors give Prescriptions for those who have skin conditions to tan and they also prescribe light therapy which give off the uv rays for depression as we need these rays for Vitamin A.

So where is the common sense that the actual studies say that every time you get in a car and drive..you have a 20% chance of getting killed.
Common sense says don't drive. Are you going to stop driving?

Every time you step in a shower or bathtub, you have a 50% chance of falling and seriously injuring yourself to the point of changing your life style.
Common sense once again says don't step in a shower or bathtub.
Are you going to stop showering and bathing?
50% is a lot greater than the odds of getting skin cancer from tanning sensibly.

Did you know that the deodorants that the majority of the population uses contains aluminum and it causes cancer also? Lymphoma. Very deadly!

and another one, just walking outside in the sunshine can give you skin cancer whether you are wearing a hat or sunscreen, you are still getting some Uv rays. Are you going to stay shut inside because of that?
Well now , common sense says to.

You can get nearly all natural spray tans now which are much safer than many everyday products we use and they smell fantastic.
So just because it NEARLY all natural, is there a guarantee that it will not ever cause skin cancer in someone down the line in life?

I could go on and on with this, but it really is quite pointless debating it. You see it your way..I see it mine. We will agree to disagree.

I will deal with it IF I ever get skin cancer from tanning beds or wait, it just might come from the makeup I use or the skin care I use.

Now back to the original question that Kim had...

As a person recovering from skin cancer I wondered if sunbeds were still as popular as before.

The answer to this is YES. If not more popular. But MOST people have more common sense now and don't abuse the beds since studies have came out showing the possibility of cancer.

What I have noticed is that most peeps start tanning for the season (summer), Vacations, or special functions like their wedding or prom.
In the full summer, tanning slacks off and really doesn't pick back up until feb of the next year and runs full out until about June.
Cheers~

okay, if you think taking things to extremes helps gets your point accross it doesn't, and i disagree that sunbeds are as popular as ever, certainly not here in Australia Anyway. They are viewed as extremely dangerous and our anti-cancer council is trying to ban them as we speak, spray tans are replacing sunbeds in salons everywhere i look.

If you are unlucky and from Going out in the sun for a walk etc with full protection on and you still get skin cancer, then that is one thing but on purposely baking yourself in order to TAN is for pure vanity, and doing it in moderation isnt harmless at all, it onlt takes one time!?! hardly think you can compare driving etc to sunbeds, everyday life is full of risks but i guess its all about harm minimisation thats what Amy was trying to point out too

As as for makeup , skincare etc, if you choose to use chemical products instead of beneficial natural or organic products then that is your choice but there is safe options available without ingredients that are known to cause harm. Same goes for the spray tan i use.

I use an aliminium free deoderant, for the very reason you mentioned

I guess we will agree to disagree : )

Latest posts

Back