Skin colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liana kay

Reaction score
hi , i was reading hj and it says to use copper colours with cool skin- well for all this time ive been doing cool skin-cool colours/neutral and warm skin -warm colours/neutral
W hat do you think is right?
Or is it just a case of more contrast for the camera ( fashion shots)

hi , i was reading hj and it says to use copper colours with cool skin- well for all this time ive been doing cool skin-cool colours/neutral and warm skin -warm colours/neutral
W hat do you think is right?
Or is it just a case of more contrast for the camera ( fashion shots)

Hi Liana, I think it's a really good idea to match up the hair with different skin tones,
if someone had warm skin tones I would usually use cooler or neutral tones, but sometimes I find some people can break all the rules :)
some people with cool skin tones don't particularly suit golden highlights ,
I remember going to a fabulous colour me beautiful evening and they draped fabric by your face to see what suited your skin tone ,
I use this fabric technique too , but I would rather use a long hair extensions colour ring ,
Balmain do a nice long assorted colour ring
and its great just to place the hair colours in the hair,
I find this helps pick out the best colours for the skin tone plus the clients loved all of the attention :hug: x minky

everyones different, its a question of individual. . . some people have cool skin and blue eyes and naturally cool hair. . . but then u get people who have cool skin and a warm natural hair colour. . . i usually stick to the base tone a person has naturally, or if someone comes in and specifically says that they want a cool colour i would put cool foils throo it with a neautral colour all over. . . and vice versa for warm. . x

Hi, yes you are so right about taking note of the base colour , I have yellowy skin tones and my hair is very ash brown , it looks great if I put cool blonde colours on it or cool browns , but if I use anything with a hint of copper or gold in it, I look instantly very washed out ,
I also have green eyes with coppery amber flecks in them
and I have heard hairdressers say you can use these flecks to pick out hair tones :eek: but if I did that coppery colour on my hair it simply looks awful so over the years I tend to use the natural skin or hair tones as a guide
I honestly think using the flecks in the eyes is sometimes not a good idea
:hug: x

aye i agree, i have wierd eyes, the a cool hazel brown round the pupil then abang of a earthy green then a dusky blue at the outer edges. . . so i wud have a right orrid haircolour if they went by that. . cos going by those colours i wud be pretty cool according to that theory but if i have ashy colours on my hair i look drained. . . . i need warmth in my hair and my natural hair and family hair is generally ginger or warm brown. . . .x

i usually do warm colours , if they freckle or blush, or if they have those orangy brown eyes . and cool neutral for others, again i like to mix it up! but ive never really applied a cool colour to someone with an obviously warm skin and hair colour and vise versa .

Latest posts

Back