Skin numbing creams for waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysTy

Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks.......what do you guys think about the numbing creams that are being recommended to clients for intimate waxing?

I think they are unnecessary and also probably dont work anymore than a placebo effect.
No waxing is pain free especially in sensitive areas (at the best its going to sting a wee bit) but a calm, confident, efficient waxer is going to work much better than any cream.
People work themselves up into pain its our job to calm it down.

I recall reading some threads about the use of numbing creams , so if you search through these older threads you should get a range of comments for and against.

For me as a waxer I personally dont think they are necessary; intimate waxing if performed correctly using good quality waxes , a confident trained therapist with a good technique should at the worst be a little uncomfortable. At the end of the day we are ripping hair out from the root so there is some discomfort but an experienced waxer can minimise the stress and trauma for our clients.
Jack

Who is recommending them.The best creams are ones like lidocaine which is very expensive and you have to put it on for about 15 mins before treatment.

Its also not something a therapist (except someone who does electrolysis,laser) can get readily i think its a prescription drug.Not sure that anything else is effective anymore than say something you can rub on from the chemist for say a bee sting.

Last edited:
I resent the inference that that if a client is anxious, it is because the therapist is "unconfident, using poor quality waxes, demonstrating poor technique and badly trained".

I am a confident waxer, preferring Berins blue to euroblonde, using an excellent technique having been taught by Kim and Andy and I have also worked closely with ZoZo. All of those highly respected waxers and trainers have complimented me on my technique and ability to put people at ease.

I have one client who has been coming to me for 6 months and still is as anxious as anything. Unbeknown to me, she purchased some EMLA cream and had used it prior to her last wax. She was much less tense and said it hurt less. Yes, it may be psychological but if it works for her, or any other client, I will embrace it. As a nurse I was always taught that pain is what the patient says it is. I would never assume that it is "mildly uncomfortable" to that individual client, we cannot make that judgement.

You don't need them and they don't work. If they did work…….it would have to be applied half an hour before waxing, so you'd have your client sitting around your salon. Then you'd have to make sure that every bit was wiped clean before you waxed.

I use emla all the time on my electrolysis clients and it is great for most of them. but it would be a bit messy for intimate waxing. maybe they could take a couple of neurofen or something like that to take the 'edge' off the pain .
every one is different, one man's food is anothers poison and all that
and while some will sail through waxing another will be in the horrors at the thought of it as unas says you cannot dismiss that but make the client as comfortable as possible and get a solution that works for each person

Who is recommending them.The best creams are ones like lidocaine which is very expensive and you have to put it on for about 15 mins before treatment.

Its also not something a therapist (except someone who does electrolysis,laser) can get readily i think its a prescription drug.Not sure that anything else is effective anymore than say something you can rub on from the chemist for say a bee sting.

I've read an article in a woman's glossy talking about numbing creams and saw a episode of the American program 'The Doctors' which referred to a pair of knickers, which has a numbing agent in it and helps reduce discomfort prior for intimate waxing. When I say numbing cream I don't think they take away all pain or discomfort but perhaps takes the edge off.

Local anesthetic creams or gels seem to be available over the counter or even from online pharmacy's (yes they are quiet expensive) sometimes they're referred to for piercings or tattoos and are to be put on an hour before treatment.

I resent the inference that that if a client is anxious, it is because the therapist is "unconfident, using poor quality waxes, demonstrating poor technique and badly trained".

I am a confident waxer, preferring Berins blue to euroblonde, using an excellent technique having been taught by Kim and Andy and I have also worked closely with ZoZo. All of those highly respected waxers and trainers have complimented me on my technique and ability to put people at ease.

I have one client who has been coming to me for 6 months and still is as anxious as anything. Unbeknown to me, she purchased some EMLA cream and had used it prior to her last wax. She was much less tense and said it hurt less. Yes, it may be psychological but if it works for her, or any other client, I will embrace it. As a nurse I was always taught that pain is what the patient says it is. I would never assume that it is "mildly uncomfortable" to that individual client, we cannot make that judgement.

Well thats good that you are talking about one client the rest are fine.I presume you have lots of clients.
It is up to her whether unknown to you she used that cream but should you be recommending it to everyone who finds waxing uncomfortable... No because there can be side effects with it and we are not doctors.

Well thats good that you are talking about one client the rest are fine.I presume you have lots of clients.
It is up to her whether unknown to you she used that cream but should you be recommending it to everyone who finds waxing uncomfortable... No because there can be side effects with it and we are not doctors.

I do have lots of clients, all of whom return every 4 weeks and recommend me to many. I am a qualified nurse prescriber but no, I don't recommend it. If a client chooses to use it, that's fine, I won't discourage her. If she tells her friend to use it before she sees me, that's also fine.

I am looking for a solution to ingrown hairs for myself and 1 particular wax client I have, during my research I found PFB do a numbing cream for use before waxing (as well as an ingrown hair product), this product is interesting to me as I have 1 friend who has her bikini done regularly but always finds it a very painfull experience (she doen't come to me for waxing as she feels uncomfy at the thought of me doing that treatment on her, which I understand).

If there is a product that will help to minimise the pain felt by someone you treat then surely there is no harm in telling a client about it.

Ingrown hair treatment. PFB Vanish ingrown hair treatment official UK website

I am looking for a solution to ingrown hairs for myself and 1 particular wax client I have, during my research I found PFB do a numbing cream for use before waxing (as well as an ingrown hair product), this product is interesting to me as I have 1 friend who has her bikini done regularly but always finds it a very painfull experience (she doen't come to me for waxing as she feels uncomfy at the thought of me doing that treatment on her, which I understand).

If there is a product that will help to minimise the pain felt by someone you treat then surely there is no harm in telling a client about it.

A couple of Ibuprofen works for some. Dry brushing and baby oil a couple of times a week works great to prevent ingrown hairs.

I think it depends what it is.The ingrown hair products tend to be aspirin based and they are specific for use.
lidocaine, novocaine products are much stronger they are usually only available on prescription they contain chemicals similar or the same to cocaine.
I agree that they should be used for electrolysis and laser but not for waxing. I have yet to meet someone in all my years that actually couldnt cope at all, but give someone a choice and of course they will take it but its not our place to be offering something like Lidocaine for waxing especially on intimate areas where the skin is very thin and delicate.

I'm not sure that I'd want to use a numbing cream. If the client is numb during a wax then how are they able to feel if the wax is too hot or if you're working on a hard to see varicose vein?

Emla cream (lidocaine, prilocaine)

Might be a good idea to have a look at what Emla cream actually is and its properties and use etc.It does say it shouldnt be used in the genital area unless for removal of genital warts and thats only for 15 minutes prior to treatment.Its really not something we as beauty therapists should be recommending.

Might be a good idea to have a look at what Emla cream actually is and its properties and use etc.It does say it shouldnt be used in the genital area unless for removal of genital warts and thats only for 15 minutes prior to treatment.Its really not something we as beauty therapists should be recommending.
Agree.

Actually, the data sheet says not to be used in the genitals of children. Can be used on adults under supervision of dr or nurse and it gives genital wart removal as an example only not exclusively for the use in.

I reiterate, I do not prescribe it but if the client comes in having applied I would proceed with my consultation and treatment if appropriate. Let's face it, many clients may have used it without you even knowing. How would you tell??

Actually, the data sheet says not to be used in the genitals of children. Can be used on adults under supervision of dr or nurse and it gives genital wart removal as an example only not exclusively for the use in.

I reiterate, I do not prescribe it but if the client comes in having applied I would proceed with my consultation and treatment if appropriate. Let's face it, many clients may have used it without you even knowing. How would you tell??

As you say you are a nurse so if you wanted to recommend its use you would know what you were doing.

Most beauty therapists are not nurses and as we know some have very little knowledge from some of the courses that are around now a days so the question about what we think of using skin numbing creams should be no we should not be recommending them for intimate waxing.

If i quoted wrongly its because i skipped through it myself but the gist was there and the link is there for all to read properly.

We have to do a skin patch test before we apply tint to an eye brow.

I would definitely not advise a client to use Emla before waxing.

And certainly not without consulting my insurance company.

If the therapist is medical maybe they are in a different position to the rest of us but would think it still needs approval from the insurers.

Below is a portion of Gillian's link re Emla which I found interesting.

If the client uses such a cream and doesn't tell you there isn't much you can do about it.

xx

In adults only, Emla can be used to temporarily numb the genital skin before surgical treatment of localised lesions, such as the removal of genital warts. In adult men it can also be used to numb the genital skin before injections of local anaesthetics into this area. A doctor or nurse must supervise the use of Emla when used on the genitals.
Warning!

• Carefully follow the instructions supplied with the cream, or given by your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. The cream should not be rubbed into the skin.
  • Wash your hands after applying the cream, unless your hands are the area being treated.
  • Take care to avoid contact of this cream with the eyes, as this could numb the eye and prevent its protective reflexes, resulting in irritation. If you accidentally get the cream in your eyes, rinse well with lukewarm water or saline solution and protect the eye until sensation returns.

I am a wimp with pain, however i just take two nuerofen and have a glass of wine and im fine! x

Latest posts

Back