Skin tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaye74

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks,

I've been hairdressing over 27 yrs, I gave it up to teach ICT. I'm possibly being made redundant next month.
I'm looking to go freelance hairdressing, how do you go about doing patch tests with colour? Do you drive to clients to do them, or ask them to come to you?
I'm just concerned about petrol cost whilst I'm starting off . Thanks for any advice :) xx

Hiya & good luck on your new business. For public liability insurance purposes you have to do a colour test first. I always tell the client I'll have to do a skin sensitivity test at least 48 hrs beforehand & use that time to have a consultation & decide on colour, condition etc & price. I usually buy a box of Colourstart from the wholesalers but just make sure the out of date is ages away.

Normally I'd arrange a consultation in advance of the appointment where I can take a generic Colourstart patch test with me and note likely colours to be purchased. When starting off, it's not necessary to keep shed loads of stock, in my opinion. Depending on your colour house, you can mix what you need from a fairly basic stock.

You could also post out the tests as they have very simple instructions and if the client applies the test 48 hours beforehand, you will see the results when you attend the appointment.

However, more often with new mobile clients, they book in for a cut initially and this enables you to introduce the possibility of colour whilst at the cutting appointment. It gives them time to think it over and book in a few days later or at their next haircut. If you carry a couple of tubes of colour, you can also use this for patch testing.

N.B. You can buy Colourstart patches direct from the manufacturer in smaller batches, if you are worried about not being able to finish the full box by their use by date.

Thanks lovelies, I'm well aware of the insurance being void etc, just wanting to know how others went about doing the tests before hand :) Again thanks for your input, much appreciated :) xxx

Colour start insure you if you use their patch and they get a reaction x

I know this thread is ancient but does anyone know if you can still purchase Colour Start patch tests? I have followed all the links I have available but no luck there

Check with your insurance company wether they support colour start patch testing. I’m with salon gold and they don’t and only support following manufacturers instructions. Xxx

I know this thread is ancient but does anyone know if you can still purchase Colour Start patch tests? I have followed all the links I have available but no luck there
Wouldn't be of use to you as ColourStart have to be your insurers, and they go out of date fairly quickly.

Hiya,

I always use my range of colours and the darkest tint out of it for patch testing.

So L’Oréal majirel :)

I find it easier to go peoples houses you can see their colour in the flesh and you’re not going off pictures. Also can see the condition.

If you send a patch test and they pick a colour it’s like you’re going in blind? Unless your car is stocked up to the t! Xxx

Usual because I already have a clientele I'll go if im passing but if I'm not I'll ask them to come to me, although I am very busy it's no skin of my back if they can't be bothered to come to me, where as your starting out and need the clients you might have to go to them but yeh it's good to see their hair. Specially if it's a colour that's going on the scalp, you can get what you need and not cost yourself anymore more.

Lots of ways to save money, I use xp colour they dont smell great but I got the same results as wella which I used to use and it's so expensive, I rip my foils very small and I don't use expensive bleach or proxide, and I noticed I still get them same results as if I was using wella brand. The only thing I do use is olaplex but I charge £15 per bowl of 7.5ml, I look for deals of eBay before I buy it. You can check out my colour results on my Insta page Daniellewallishair. I do give them the option of the more expensive stuff but it's more money. Xx

Usual because I already have a clientele I'll go if im passing but if I'm not I'll ask them to come to me, although I am very busy it's no skin of my back if they can't be bothered to come to me, where as your starting out and need the clients you might have to go to them but yeh it's good to see their hair. Specially if it's a colour that's going on the scalp, you can get what you need and not cost yourself anymore more.

Lots of ways to save money, I use xp colour they dont smell great but I got the same results as wella which I used to use and it's so expensive, I rip my foils very small and I don't use expensive bleach or proxide, and I noticed I still get them same results as if I was using wella brand. The only thing I do use is olaplex but I charge £15 per bowl of 7.5ml, I look for deals of eBay before I buy it. You can check out my colour results on my Insta page Daniellewallishair. I do give them the option of the more expensive stuff but it's more money. Xx

[emoji51] Your insurer probably won’t insure you buying colour off of e bay either as you cannot tell if product is real or not or who you’re buying it from. Neither would the supposed brand back you if something was to ever go wrong. If I was a client I wouldn’t be happy having products from e bay used on me either.

Wouldn't be of use to you as ColourStart have to be your insurers, and they go out of date fairly quickly.
Is it not possible to get insured by them anymore?

You can check out my colour results on my Insta page Daniellewallishair. I do give them the option of the more expensive stuff but it's more money. Xx

I love your up-do’s. Very talented. :)

Is it not possible to get insured by them anymore?

This is their number to order the patches from them directly. When I was living in the UK, I used to be able to order smaller batches so the use by date would still be valid, as I didn’t get through the boxes that quickly. I don’t use them here in Ireland as their insurance cover wouldn’t be valid over here, so I don’t know what their current prices are etc.

Tel: 01525 288881 Trichocare.

Latest posts

Back