Slow cooker recipes please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
As the title says really, has anyone got any tried and tested slow cooker recipes?
Something simple to start with, I have recently bought one but it didn't come with a recipe book and don't have a clue where to start, how much liquid to put in etc.
I have some steak and kidney in the freezer which I could start with but I'm not sure of liquid quantitys and whether I should cook the meat off a bit first or what setting to use.

I love my slow cooker and do loads in it.

For your steak and kidney i would fry an onion in olive oil, add the steak and brown, add kidney and fry, add some flour (plain) to soak up the fat, add water til it covers the meat, bring to boil, it will thicken, if it's too thick add more water or maybe some ale, add salt n pepper and an oxo. When its the right consistancy whack it in the slow cooker and leave all day.

I make spag bol and put that in there, also casseroles too.

Google what u want and you should find loads of things to cook

HTH

Rachel

we had beef casserole today done in our slow cooker...they are ace.

I just browned the beef steak, then put it in the slow cooker with a sachet of beef casserole mix, mixed veg (potatoes, swede, carrots, onions...all peeled and chopped ready....called a stew bag i think) then a tin of sweetcorn and pored water over till covered...left it on med setting all day and it was lovely....beef just fell apart.

curry is nice done in there too. x

Beef cassorole

paprika ..a few desert spoons

worcester sauce

salt

black pepper

red wine and water (to make the liquid)

mixed peppers/onions/leeks/mushrooms/carrots....basically any veg you want but I don't use cauli/brocolli as it gives it a funny taste.

Meat of your choice, chopped into chunks

small tub single cream*

cornflour and water mixed to thicken*

Just chop and wash everything and throw it in, about 1/2 an hour or so before the end add *the cream and thicken with the cornflour

Beef cassorole

paprika ..a few desert spoons

worcester sauce

salt

black pepper

red wine and water (to make the liquid)

mixed peppers/onions/leeks/mushrooms/carrots....basically any veg you want but I don't use cauli/brocolli as it gives it a funny taste.

Meat of your choice, chopped into chunks

small tub single cream*

cornflour and water mixed to thicken*

Just chop and wash everything and throw it in, about 1/2 an hour or so before the end add *the cream and thicken with the cornflour

lol...yours sounds so much posher than mine....lol...x

i also do joints of cheap beef in there, put a little water in with the beef and an oxo
cook all day and thicken juice for gravy
turns a real cheap cut of beef into a lovely joint for a sunday dinner

Rachel

To be honest with my slow cooker I just bung the meat in add water & gravy granules and leave it on low all day. Or I put chicken and a curry sauce in, I'm a lazy slow cooker!!

Lamb stew and dumplings.

Neck of lamb fillet is nice.

Brown that with some onions, put in slow cooker with pearl barley, swede, parsnip,carrots, leeks and potatoes (all chopped) add lamb stock (cube),grav granules and I always put a tin of lamb and mint big soup in aswell and leave all day. When you get in pop your dumplings in and hey presto!

You could always put some chopped mint in your dumplins too, that's nice.

Teri x:hug:

The best dishes that have ever come out of my slow cooker have been the ones that have no recipe....and I just bunged in whatever took my fancy at the time!

To be honest the best guideline that anyone ever gave me, was cook what ever you would cook in the oven or on the stove in there, just make sure you add slightly less liquid to the 'casserole' style dishes as the slow cooker doesn't evaporate it off like the oven does, and you will end up with loads more at the end otherwise.

My favourite has to be a good old chilli, normal recipe, but with slightly less liquid....then simmered for about 8 hours on low to med heat...the flavours just melt together....mmmmm!

Or a very simple and quick to prepare one...Lamb and Tomato casserole. Lamb chops in the bottom, layer of sliced onions, sprinke a few mixed herbs, chuck over a tin of tomatoes, layer of sliced potatoes....dash of Worcestershire Sauce, about 1/2 pint of stock and let it cook slowly for several hours....whole meal in one pot, tasty, healthy and limited washing up!

I use my slow cooker alot less than i should,, but when i do i bung in anything that takes your fancy and cook all day..

meat (any diced)
onion,
peppers,
mush,
wochester sauce,
teaspoon of english mustard,
tin of toms,
dollop of whole grain mustard(if you have it)
oxo cube
water..

cook all day then thicken with a cornflower mix..

serve with rice, spuds, or pasta.. uummmm yummy

The only thing that ever goes in my Slow cooker is hot flannels for my mani's and pedi'!!!!:lol::lol:

These recipes sound really lovely though. I love casseroles and stews. I might have to go out and buy another one for cooking purposes!!

Ohhhhh, your all making me soooooo hungry!!!
lol

Brown your meat in a pan first if you want to seal it. Personally, I don't do this as I consider my slow cooker a lazy cooker. I just chuck everything in and I don't even sweat off my onions first.

Here are some tips:
i. If you are buying beef or lamb, buy the cheaper cuts. With lamb I always buy 'neck' as it becomes meltingly tender when slow cooked. The cheaper cuts tend to casserole better.
ii. Soups are brill for the slow cooker and you can make them so that they are an 'all in one' meal with grated potato (this helps to thicken) and grated carrots and courgettes.
iii. if you are going to add pasta or peas to the slow cooker, do so in the last half hour of cooking so that they don't go mushy. Pasta becomes really gloopy if left too long.

Soups are good to do as well loads of different veg, water, stock cubes cook for ever and blitz with a hand blender.

Hi
I have had a slow cooker for years and love it

trouble is my OH hates the smell of the food cooking and refuses to eat anything when i have done it

does anyone else have that problem and if so any advise?

Lx

Hi

trouble is my OH hates the smell of the food cooking and refuses to eat anything when i have done it

Lx

If he likes garlic put some in what you are making then that should make it smell better for him.

Also, if you make a casserole, red wine is always a good one, gives a lovely smell.

You didn't mention what it smells like, so it's possible it already smells of garlic or wine and that what he doesn't like.

Rachel xx

thaks

its the smell of chicken or any meat that he says turns him off

defeats the object really as I am at work all day and it would be so handy

Hi

Lx

My problem is keeping my hubby out of the slow cooker....he has to 'check the seasoning' at least once an hour!

What about making some nice vegetable based sauces that could be added to meat that is then cooked quickly, maybe under the grill, when you come home?

beef stew and dumplings ...yum! just throw beef veg in then later the dumplings.

Latest posts

Back