Small Children - Kinking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam28

Reaction score
Hi, Has anyone experienced their children kinking ie. crying in temper but holding their breath and lips going blue, then finally taking a breath. Maisie (aged 3) has done it for ages, just wondered when she is meant to grow out of it (obviously she's not going to be doing it at 16 - hope not anyway, lol !). She doesnt do it as much now she's getting a bit older though, phew :eek:

Scary isnt it. Well my mum said splash her face with cold water, blow in her face or tap her on the face (what !?). Of course I didnt tap her on the face (no wonder I've turned out as I have :)), but I did once blow on her face, didnt work for me, she held it even longer. She passed out a few weeks ago and immediately took a breath, its the only time she's done that though. When I mentioned it to nursery they had just been on training for kinking/panic attacks etc and apparently the best thing they can do is pass out because it kicks the body into breathing again ie. the mind stops taking over the body. Hope that helps ! xx

By the way, I usually find distraction works well x

I have found blowing on them really works- BUT- you need to blow near/into the mouth. When they have their mouth open, which they normally do whilst howling like a banshee, often before they do the awful holding their breath, put your face in front of theirs, and a quick sharp blow into the mouth from a short distance away (ie not like mouth to mouth resuss) usually kicks them into taking a big breath.

I have found blowing on them really works- BUT- you need to blow near/into the mouth. When they have their mouth open, which they normally do whilst howling like a banshee, often before they do the awful holding their breath, put your face in front of theirs, and a quick sharp blow into the mouth from a short distance away (ie not like mouth to mouth resuss) usually kicks them into taking a big breath.

Thanks for the info. Am assuming you have experienced this, what age did yours grow out of it ??? xx

Not actually a child of mine, but I worked for years as a nursery nurse so experienced the lot- kinking, headbanging, the lot.
Most of them grew out of it by the time they left the nursery, so 4 or 5, if not a little earlier. Sometimes it takes them a wee bit longer, but I don't really have experience to advise on that one. I think the general concensus is they have usually grown out of it by the time they are around 6.
As long as she is safe and out of dangers way, try not to panic too much- I know it is scary, and I understand that watching it happen to your own child is far more heart wrenching x
If she passes out again during a bout of it, see your GP, talk it over, and they should put your mind at rest a bit if nothing else. Generally the passing out bit doesn't do any real harm.
Good luck x

Ok thanks for that. Although its a bit scary I sort of try to be calm about it because I know she's not going to come to any harm. It is getting less and less so fingers crossed another year and it will have gone. Thanks again for the info x

No probs, hope it fizzles out soon x

Latest posts

Back