Small fingers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tierra2006

Reaction score
I am fairly new to nails and was wondering what people did when a client comes in with small hands and bitten nails. When putting the tip on the well is obviously too big and takes up the whole nail, is it best to file the well area down? so that its easier to blen, sorry if I'm being a bit thick!!:rolleyes:

The best thing to do is blend the tip or use well less tips (blend slightly) then sculpt on the white and use an opaque powder, white tips look awful on severe nail biters as they dont have much nail bed, but using the opaque powder over a clear tip allows you to sculpt the white further up. hth xx

I don't believe any nail should have a full well left in. The smaller the well the better the fit. The strongest bond is between the overlay and the nail plate so as much as the nail plate should be left exposed as possible.

A french white tip suits very few people and certainly not a nail biter. Tips shoud be pre tailored to fit a severe nail biter. There is bound to be a tutorial on here on how to do that. Opaque powders a great for masking the poor condition of the nail

Thanks for your help, I knew you need adhesion on the nail I might try well less tips, can anyonr recommend any good ones, Thanks:)

I have only used CND performance tips which are well less, but they are fab, prob why I've no tried any others lo hth xxl

There are a couple of ways you could go about it. It depends on if you want to use tips or if you want to use forms.

For tips I take a clear tip and use the acrylic as the bonding agent to the natural nail, that way it's giving a little length and base to work with, then I was another tip, usually the white tips without a well and also use acrylic to bond onto the clear tip. To disgiuse the nail underneath the clear tip I use and opague color for the nail bed. (E.g. Tammy Tayloy's pinkest pink.)

Or...

If you want to use forms. Place the form close to the nail and put a small bit of cuticle oil if any skin is showing. I extend the nail bed with my opaque color again, and then you can 'pretend' your new sculpted nail bed is the 'real nail' and sculpt a tip or glue a tip on. They work as usual.

I think both methods for me work well, i started doing enhancement on a girl at my school who's going through a custody battle, and become an avid nail bitter. When we did her first set i used clear tips over maybe 1/3 of a cm of actual nail left on the bed. her nails have been able to grow out now, and are quite beautiful now.

Latest posts

Back