Smokey environment for spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
Okay, so i'm mobile & went to a house to spray 3 ladies. The house smelt very smoky & they were all smoking before / after their tans. I swear i thought the dog was smoking at some point!! Anyway, when i was driving home the smell of smoke (on me) was awful, as was my car boot when i opened it. I've had to wash all of my equipment & am annoyed at the extra work that shouldn't really have needed to be done tonight. I can't help thinking how awful it would have been if i was going to a non-smoking client immediately after that appointment. Has anyone else experienced this?

Really that is your working environment and by law they should not be smoking!! But you do feel silly telling people not to smoke in there own home! Lol

I would just make a tail up and tell them not to smoke after there tan and the smoke slows down the dry time or something! Lol

That once happened to me but I was doing a set of nail extensions. I came away from the house and my hair and clothes stunk of smoke I had to come straight home and get in shower. Luckily she was my last appointment of the day.

Oh yes, I've had someone smoke while I was applying their makeup!!! :s worst of it was I'd had an asthma attack only a few days before and they could clearly hear my chest brattling away because they asked about it

Thanks for these replies geeks, i've calmed down now but was furious last night. My tent bag is still on the washing line & my extractor filter has been washed & still stinks - not sure how that will be when i next use it x

My pet hate is when people turn up late for their appointment then spark up a ciggy. Makes me so mad!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Also when theyve just had one then come straight in!!! I cough very loudly when they walk past! Hahaha

Maybe do like a pretend tan in the garden with not solution just got let you gun and extractor run in a bit of fresh air! Might just air it out inside!

Thanks for these replies geeks, i've calmed down now but was furious last night. My tent bag is still on the washing line & my extractor filter has been washed & still stinks - not sure how that will be when i next use it x

Can you send out a Newsletter, or a blanket text as a reminder to clients, that stipulates your expectations of an appropriate working environment?

I would also have this clear on a website too. Something like, I would like to kindly request that clients refrain from smoking whilst having treatments.

Or maybe ask Jacquelineanna how she would word this?!:D

I had a client who would want the tan done in her smoking room :( I hate smoke as it is but I found out i was pregnant and was in the early stages at the time so made it clear for future if she wanted an appointment it would have to be in another smoke-free room (or preferably elsewhere!!) she no longer smoked when I went round but being a non-smoker I could still smell it and come out stinking and all my equipment too I stopped going I wasn't risking my baby and my health, as it happens I was moving to a different area anyway and stopping clients so managed to use that as my excuse! it's a hard situation, especially as its her house, sometimes smokers - not all- tend to be selfish when it comes to second hand smoke and don't think twice about how it affects others!
I would try airing your equipment outside if it's nice where you are and give your filter a good wash and dry out and thoroughly clean your tent down a couple of times. I could still smell the smoke in mine even after 6-7 tans after that woman and I'd spent hours washing it down the previous night - we should charge for the extra work!

Thanks for all your responses. I've rewashed & aired everything off & my filter is still smelly - i'm not impressed as they cost £25 to replace. I think in future i will say that i will not use my extractor in smokey environments (it might be better received if i say it stops the fan working properly:wink2:). x

I've only ever had this with one client (who has 2 friends for tans and all 3 smoke in the other room, but I still come out smelling of it), I do say no to anything flammable near my spray machine as their is a fire hazard risk (this is the same with fires or candles), unfortunately you can't stop them smoking in another room, I would suggest you always keep a body spray in your car so at least you can have a quick spray if you have further clients (not ideal but better than nothing) I am very sensitive to smoking smells, i also get a bad chest, and have driven home with all the windows open in freezing weather but this is the joys of mobile :(

Just to be wicked I would tell them the chemicals/ solutions/ wax or anyother products you may need to use are very highly flammable and they could have their home go up in flames!!!!! Ha HA

Thanks guys. I dread walking into new clients homes even more now when i get a whiff of smoke ! I'm definitely gonna go down the highly flammable route! x

tanfastic...Ha ha, imagine it now, calling out the fire brigade.... It is definately a problem though. I dont think that just becasue someone is paying you for a service you provide in thier home that you have to accept it. It is your health as well! If they like 'eau de parfum de nicotine' then let them get on with it but not are your expense, dont take the booking....

Oh yes, I've had someone smoke while I was applying their makeup!!! :s worst of it was I'd had an asthma attack only a few days before and they could clearly hear my chest brattling away because they asked about it

I would of said something if it were me and I would of not carried on with treatment until she put the vile thing out.

Even better I wouldn't of started until she put it out!

I'm non smoker, and I politely ask my clients not to smoke while I'm there as not only does it effect my health, it is also unhygienic as ash could get on my makeup etc.

My OH is a smoker and come rain or shine he has to stand behind the house by the bins to smoke lol

And cigarettes packets I find around the house go in the bin.

I know this sounds harsh, but his ex wife died due to smoking (she even carried on smoking 40 per day when she was diagnosed)

He has 3 daughters aged between 40 and 15 and they lost their mum to smoking they shouldn't loose their dad too......

Latest posts

Back