Social media messages and texts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssexFreelance

Reaction score
I’m only freelance since this year and it’s going really well, I worked in a salon before.

I find it really hard dealing with enquiries - today I’ve had a pain in bum client WhatsApping me unrealistic pics fro the second time this week asking me if it’s possible for her appointment Christmas week. (It’s not and it’s a Sunday seriously)

Clients ask for appointments and when you can give the exact one they ignore you (the ignoring thing really winds me up)

A client book took an appointment then I told her the price she ignored me (it was too much which I don’t care about but at least say you don’t want the appointment)

All my work is through social media and I’d say only 3 clients have my number which helps, I think it’s this day and age people fling off messages at all hours of the day and forget there is a human being at the other end.

The constant stream of people sending me Instagram pics and with just ‘how much’ after really grates on me

Is it just me?

I try not to get into long drawn out conversations over txt/social media message & flat out refuse to use Whatsapp for work.
If someone is unsure I will book out 10 mins for them to pop in for a chat/consultation but will not tolerate messages pinging back & fourth :)

I get lots of pics of nails, which is nice that clients are excited about their appointments, but I quite stearnly say bring the pics to the appointment as computers/phones show up colours differently & we may not be on the same page. This may not work with hair though?

Could you reply that they are to bring the pics to the consultation where you will go over everything face to face? Then keep replying the same thing for each pic until they get the message? You get a feel for the messers & I usually tell them Im signing off for the night & will meet them on such & such date for their appointment.

Boils your p*** dosn’t it :D xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped taking appointments via Facebook as two thirds weren't turning up.
I respond to enquiries with information on fb but tell them to phone me when ready to book. Since doing this I've reduced 'no shows' to zero.

I have an automated response on my fb page and phone so I can leave responding until convenient to me.

I respond to enquiries with information on fb but tell them to phone me when ready to book. Since doing this I've reduced 'no shows' to zero.

I have an automated response on my fb page and phone so I can leave responding until convenient to me.

How did you set up the auto response on your phone? Ive done the facebook one but would love one for txt messages :) xx

I don’t have any issue with no shows - I’m fully booked 8 weeks ahead - it’s the enquiry’s

I’ve got a client booked for March and she’s already sending pics of what I think - I think this tipped me over the edge this week

I try not to get into long drawn out conversations over txt/social media message & flat out refuse to use Whatsapp for work.
If someone is unsure I will book out 10 mins for them to pop in for a chat/consultation but will not tolerate messages pinging back & fourth :)

I get lots of pics of nails, which is nice that clients are excited about their appointments, but I quite stearnly say bring the pics to the appointment as computers/phones show up colours differently & we may not be on the same page. This may not work with hair though?

Could you reply that they are to bring the pics to the consultation where you will go over everything face to face? Then keep replying the same thing for each pic until they get the message? You get a feel for the messers & I usually tell them Im signing off for the night & will meet them on such & such date for their appointment.

Boils your p*** dosn’t it :D xx
It’s hard because hair has to be prepared - lots of my work is high end bespoke colour so I need to have the right colours but people think your like a 24/7 Salon.

I got a message at 3.30am to book a blowdry that day

My page couldn’t be any clearer.

The biggest thing that boils my p***

Do you cover XYZ area?

No sorry only cover ABC

Can I come to you

No sorry I’m just mobile

ITS ON MY PAGE

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you set up the auto response on your phone? Ive done the facebook one but would love one for txt messages :) xx

Sorry, should have said more specifically- I meant my landline - I have an answerphone on it permanently.
I'm sure someone would know the answer to your question though.
I don't give clients my mobile number.

I dont mind the 3am messages, I reply to my design guy/suppliers at odd times as its the only time I get to- but my phone is on silent in the kitchen all night so it dosnt bother me.

Could you design an e-flyer along the lines of ‘frequantly asked questions’ and send a screen shot of it so you dont physically have to write a reply? I do that with my available appintments so im not construscting replies all the time. Copy & paste is also a godsend! Just save standard reply as notes & copy/paste xx

Sorry, should have said more specifically- I meant my landline - I have an answerphone on it permanently.
I'm sure someone would know the answer to your question though.
I don't give clients my mobile number.

Ahh, im still on the hunt for something then lol! The day I automate my life will be the greatest day ever :D xx

I think the FAQ questions would be good but my auto response directs people to my pricing and I also ask where they live - 9/10 people don’t respond to the auto message for more details so I still have to ask

The general public are generally stupid. No way round it really :( xx

The general public IS NOT generally stupid!!! What an insulting comment to make!?

Had a fb msg this morning on a Sunday wanting an appt tomorrow or Tuesday. My automated message tells them we are closed but they can book online with a link. I also replied saying there was availability tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning and to please book online. So far no booking or even a reply. Just time wasters on fb for most of them I find!

Facebook is a mixed bag I find. I've got pretty good at sussing the good ones out and I have to admit to being guilty of a little stalk to get a feel for them but then I'm inviting people into my home so i think that's justified.

No matter when people message me, if I'm busy or "off duty " then they have to wait for a response. I've stopped offering an appt time until after we've established that the price is acceptable. I'll be suitably vague until that point.

I would always rather be sent a picture of some nail art and be asked the price rather than a client rock up expecting me to duplicate some Pinterest design for pennies, so although I do get where you're coming from, it does help clarify the situation from the outset.

The general public IS NOT generally stupid!!! What an insulting comment to make!?

Are you a professional hairdresser or beautician?
This is a forum for professional hairdressers and beauty therapists and it's not uncommon for members to have a general moan about clients especially after a particularly trying week.

It certainly wasn't insulting as it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Today I’ve had a client message me who’s been going blonde but now wants it brown and done this week

I’ve had a highlight client whose also been going very blonde who can’t deal with roots but wants a root shadow (because giving you bigger roots is better)

Lastly a client cancelled because there friend is doing it (no big deal I have a cancellation list)

It’s Sunday tomorrow is my day off that’s 3 b******* messages to deal with on top of the ones I’ll get tomorrow.

Last Tuesday I had 5 new enquiries while working, 3 asking when they know I don’t travel that far, 1 asking to come to my house (I don’t offer this) and 1 recommendation that will bend over backwards to get in because I love recommendations.

Facebook is a mixed bag I find. I've got pretty good at sussing the good ones out and I have to admit to being guilty of a little stalk to get a feel for them but then I'm inviting people into my home so i think that's justified.

No matter when people message me, if I'm busy or "off duty " then they have to wait for a response. I've stopped offering an appt time until after we've established that the price is acceptable. I'll be suitably vague until that point.

I would always rather be sent a picture of some nail art and be asked the price rather than a client rock up expecting me to duplicate some Pinterest design for pennies, so although I do get where you're coming from, it does help clarify the situation from the outset.
I suppose nails are different but I get send Instagram pics with ‘how much for this’ the prices will vary massively depending on what their hair is like.

Firstly I ask where they are - if not in my area I tell them I don’t cover it- that ends the conversation (it doesn’t because they then ask if they can pay me or come to me or something else)

Secondly I ask for their availability (not going through all the speech then I can’t for them in because they can only do Friday nights)

I then ask for what their own hair is like, they usually need to send some sort of pic

I can then give a guide price which is confirmed on consultation

I only do consultations in person once they book - I don’t just go round willy nilly when they haven’t committed to booking

I charge for consultations - it’s non refundable

I copy and paste from my phone all the details they need and say I’ll be in touch nearer the time

I do the consultation take the money and then send a copy and paste of confirmation- including price and payment and that is has to be paid in full on the day

If repeat client they just get this message the week before.

My auto message directs people to my pricing.

I feel like I cover all bases but still get wound up by peoples attitude, if I was a salon this would all be done complementary or via a receptionist. All the man hours to run my diary are exhausting and people think they just pay for chair time.

Sounds like I'm lucky - my clients don't seem to have discovered instagram yet - very rare to be presented with a picture!
[emoji4]

Totally agree, EssexFreelance, hair is very different (was forgetting which forum I was on for a second there!)
You sound very organised and it would be hard to do more, but as you say, it's the attitude which is really annoying
Nails is a more straightforward affair altogether.

Latest posts

Back