Someone stop this fleabay madness!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish this industry would hurry up and get regulated and do away with all the self trained you tubers!

The wholesales need to crack down they are at fault but they make money so they don't care, I will always remember going into capital when I first qualified and bought bits and tried to buy a comb and can of hair spray and I was refused because I'm not trained in hair but now u can go there with ur gellux cert and do the course with no exp or qual on m&p then can go buy anything from there shop it's a joke and ruining the industry

I wish this industry would hurry up and get regulated and do away with all the self trained you tubers!

The wholesales need to crack down they are at fault but they make money so they don't care, I will always remember going into capital when I first qualified and bought bits and tried to buy a comb and can of hair spray and I was refused because I'm not trained in hair but now u can go there with ur gellux cert and do the course with no exp or qual on m&p then can go buy anything from there shop it's a joke and ruining the industry

Totally.
The last VAT free day at Sallys, They were doing goody bag offers. I bought 2 files that just happened to be in the promotion to get a free goody bag. The lady on checkout was like "theres some amazing professional only things in there, well worth over £5" (she knew I did nails as we'd just had a big chat about it)
When I got home and looked, bearing in mind Im only trained in nails...My bag contained: Perm lotion, Some sort of bleach, something else that I have absloultey NO idea what it is, but its for hair.. some clips and gel. My instant reaction was OMG, They're giving this stuff away designed to be used by professionals, to anyone with any sort of Beuaty cert! It all went into the bin apart from the clips and gel.

I'd like suppliers to regulate so you can ONLY buy what you are qualified in. Eg, Nail techs cannot buy Hair products and vice versa.
x

I really dont think it will do us that much harm, after all we've been trained to use these these products, they havn't. I think it's just a phase we're going through with all these people new fangled with gel polish they can get so easily available. Bet in a few months these same people will have gel polish bottles getting dusty in some cupboard somewhere and they'll be getting excited about something else.

I don't use Shellac I use OPI GelColor which has just been launched in the UK late February & I've noticed bottles of the GelColor on Ebay already!
I would like non professionals been stopped & regulations to be placed in the beauty industry however it must be VERY hard to sort it out in the current state its in! Nowadays everyone is a beauty therapist & offering treatments etc! But what do you expect, everyone sees it as an easy way of making money!
Even the Beauty Show let's in just about everyone, you don't need to prove your a professional you just need to say your a private therapist register on the site & that's it there's your free entry badge! While walking around Excel on Sunday I noticed many people who were obviously not professionals... God knows how much they brought in bulk just to sell on later on!

I've wondered this too Chelle. There is always the obvious DIYers at these shows.

When I did my spray tan training last year, there were two ladies who had bought the kit at the show but had no professional training prior to the spray tan training, so effectively shouldn't have been at the show in the first place!!

I think that what I find annoying is that although people talk about products being fake, out of date, stolen etc it's evident that there are professionals out there selling current stock. I use a brand of skin care that can't be bought over the counter and yet there is clearly a stockist selling on eBay and massively undercutting the RRP (but still clearing enough for a profit). People are supplementing their incomes through eBay sales.

I think this puts it perfectly. Fakes are one thing and I wish they weren't around of course, but other professionals selling products is actually what concerns me, in all honesty more. We see on many threads people talking about the amount of time and money we have spent and we all know this too, so I can't believe there are unscrupulous qualified techs that sell genuine items on ebay. I actually think as an industry we should ALL be working together, we aren't regulated, so the next best thing, without sounding too cheesy, is unity. I think this goes back to Tigi's fabulous thread regarding a code of conduct some of us contributed to. We should all be protecting one another which ever system we use meaning we don't back stab like minded people by selling genuine goods of ebay. Selling genuine goods on ebay is nothing other than, the greed of some very unprofessional 'professionals'.

Anyone got a ladder so i can climb down from my soap box ;)

Love n hugs xxx

I can not see why something can not be done to remove these listings, I once listed a spray tan tent on eBay as had 2 spare and my listing was removed by the creator for legal reasons and I was not allowed to sell my tent on there

I didnt mean to start a big ebay debate again ladies. But I do share your frustration - it is rife in my town also and nothing can be done really. But i have found Gigi's advise to be true. As soon as they realise its not easy and they messs their nails up, they soon start looking for a nail tech!

I put this up mainly for the laugh. Its one thing to sell goods like Shellac on ebay ( not saying its good just another issue) its another to try to sell things like free catalogues from our brands that our given to us for free. I honestly didnt think ebay could get any lower but it has sunk again!

Laugh with me at the person who does bid and win on this item or even better, the person who has probabily qualified as a beautician and thinks they are being smart. xxx

It's been going on for years, you can buy scissors, combs, colour, nail products in fact almost anything you'l ever need on eBay, You'l never stop it and we're all doing ok so when you see it just laugh at it and think of all the greenies and ****ty nails bad haircuts going around !

They do put up some strange things on eBay. Like the vouchers that come for free for 2for1 at thorpe park, that seem to be in everything or old argos catalogues, classed as vintage, haha xx

It's been going on for years, you can buy scissors, combs, colour, nail products in fact almost anything you'l ever need on eBay, You'l never stop it and we're all doing ok so when you see it just laugh at it and think of all the greenies and ****ty nails bad haircuts going around !

well said.. ladies have been able to purchase bottles of polish from regular stores for YEARS and yet still go in for regular manicures. I don't think its anything for us to really worry about. I try and focus my clients on coming in for a relaxing experience AND a great service. If I didn't, I think I would drive myself CRAZY!

I can not see why something can not be done to remove these listings, I once listed a spray tan tent on eBay as had 2 spare and my listing was removed by the creator for legal reasons and I was not allowed to sell my tent on there

EBay always takes great pains to state that it's only a venue for selling and buying - in much the same way as people put ads in their local rag...only to a global audience. The eBay ethos is that it's not responsible for the listings - it makes it clear that the seller is wholly responsible for everything that's contained in/on the auction page.

However, eBay allows manufacturers etc to register with them, in order to protect their intellectual property rights..

"The Verified Rights Owners program (VeRO) allows intellectual property owners to report listings that infringe their rights on the site. "

Here's a link to the info and all the members of the scheme - some big names on there..and some really small ones too :wink2:

How eBay Protects Intellectual Property (VeRO)

If a beauty/hair industry company wanted to register with eBay in order to stop people selling on their goods, then they could...it's so easy to do and "bingo", you've gone a long way to protecting the integrity and exclusivity of your brand :wink2:

If someone gets reported for selling VeRO goods, then they risk damaging their selling account. VeRo infringements are pretty heavy things to have on your account :eek: Only the VeRO registered account can report auctions - none of us "plebs" can do it.

If you believe goods to be fake, then you can report it but reports don't generally get acted on, especially if it's a big seller who rakes in the revenue for eBay. The reality about reporting auctions, is that the ones most likely to get removed, are those for smaller, newer sellers and those where the seller is blatantly trying to avoid paying eBay fees :rolleyes:
HTH

Last edited:
well said.. ladies have been able to purchase bottles of polish from regular stores for YEARS and yet still go in for regular manicures. I don't think its anything for us to really worry about. I try and focus my clients on coming in for a relaxing experience AND a great service. If I didn't, I think I would drive myself CRAZY!

couldn't agree more :)

Change of brand but same topic....
I want to find out regarding Lena white products (mainly opi)
If sub retailers, (shop not online) are allowed to legally sell wholesale prices to the public?
It infuriates me that we have a wholesaler down the road which sell the full range of opi. This stops me completly from retailing any products of theirs

Oh how ridiculous and frustrating for S2! ��

I know they don't waste time and money chasing these goons but it still must infuriate them. ��

I've said before that I think the SG forums should be closed to non- professionals and I think if they did this, then the "shellac clubs" wouldn't have access to all the fantastic advice and tutorials on here.

As for the items on eBay, I think anyone can report the account so SG army, hit that report button!
Xxx

Now mproducts at the trade fairs t

Although I agree wholehearteldy with what you are saying (see my thread about Bluesky) I would be so upset if SG was closed to non professionals. I find it to be a great source of information and it has actually helped me create my goals for the future which is to become a CND qualified nail tech. Without the use of the forums on here I would be none the wiser as to what or how I go about becomming properly trained and qualified.

Latest posts

Back