Sore Split Nails After Soak Off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bad week and am feeling bad about myself as a nail tech. Firstly I removed a regular clients nail enhancements (white tips) with clippers before soaking and caught her little finger and made it bleed. I then applied a new set. I felt so bad, it made me feel ill all the way through her treatment, she hasnt booked a maint appointment and I don't blame her! At the end she seemed pleased with her nails, but I was so embarrassed was not confident to ask her to rebook with me. I kent apologising and took some money off of the price charged. The problem is I dont think I can chat and clip nails at the same time!

Then another of my regulars had her nails soaked off two weeks ago and came for a manicure yesterday. A couple of her nails were really sore and were breaking low down and making her nail bed look red. I filed them gently with a 240 grit file (kanga board) and cleaned them with scrubfresh and then soaked them in hot oils for ten mins. They felt a bit better and she seemed pleased but I felt terrible because I'm always telling clients that nail enhancements don't damage the nails and so on. She uses solar oil regularly (or so she says) and the products I use are Creative. I file gently so I cannot understand why her nails are in such a state. She's rebooked with me for a manicure in two weeks and then she wants to try the custom blend manicure two weeks later.

Sorry to go on, but I feel better writing it all down.

Thanks for listening.

Heather XX

Hi Heather.

All new technicians feel a bit insecure when faced with the problems you describe ... partly because your experience is limited and working alone, you have to rely on yourself with no other help to hand .... apart form this site (god bless it).

There is not a technician alive who has not accidentally cut a client ... it happens. It is an awkward situation to deal with but put it down to experience and concentrate on what you are doing more next time.

Enhancements do not damage natural nails. Over filing does and clients picking off the product also as well as breakages. Your client record cards should show you if this is the cause of these thin and red nail plates. If the client is not at fault, then it has to be that you are filing the natural nail too aggressively during the rebalance appointment and not realizing it. Watch this very carefully when you work.

Don't let these situations get you too down. Put your professional head on and take great care of those nails in future.

geeg said:
Hi Heather.

All new technicians feel a bit insecure when faced with the problems you describe ... partly because your experience is limited and working alone, you have to rely on yourself with no other help to hand .... apart form this site (god bless it).

There is not a technician alive who has not accidentally cut a client ... it happens. It is an awkward situation to deal with but put it down to experience and concentrate on what you are doing more next time.

Enhancements do not damage natural nails. Over filing does and clients picking off the product also as well as breakages. Your client record cards should show you if this is the cause of these thin and red nail plates. If the client is not at fault, then it has to be that you are filing the natural nail too aggressively during the rebalance appointment and not realizing it. Watch this very carefully when you work.

Don't let these situations get you too down. Put your professional head on and take great care of those nails in future.
Thanks Geeg

You're right I do feel a bit on my own when things go wrong and feel very lucky to have this site and your expert advice.

I do try not to file the natural nail plate, but am a relatively new tech (2 years and so have lots to learn) I'm glad I posted this thread as it makes me realise that others are probably going through the same thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Heather XX

Don't worry Chick!

I went to college on Wednesday night to do a set of in-fills and cut the little finger (tiniest I have ever come across) in three places with a file.

Luckily it was my sister and she was very understanding but it has never happened to me before.

Everybody has bad days and Wednesday was certainly one of mine!

Don't let it worry you and carry on as normal.

Vicki x

Hiya....you are def not alone....i feel just the same, i cut a lady with my file last week, the skin around her nail was so tight and dry...i felt really bad and she was sooo nice about it. As for damaged nails...i have damaged my nails in the past with over buffing them....but with clients i have noticed the only damage being when they have ripped a nail off....or 1 lady...when she breaks one she glues it back with superglue till her next appt...then just b4 she come to me she picks it off again...her nail is damaged...because of this. I have told her time and time that if she cant wait till her next appt to come back to me and i will repair for her....but she still does it. I have got her to sign a card to say that any damage on those nails is down to her and not me.
Bless her though...she says the only reason she does it is cos she doesnt want to be a nuisance...as if she could be.

Chin up...i work alone also so i do know how you feel. xxx

glad you put this message on as I too have trouble with sore nails after enhancements. No matter how hard I try not to over file but the natural nails always seem to be sore after. They always split low aswell after a few days. I always advise how to look after them when removed but I don't know if they take notice or not and do it. I can't understand how nails can be good when the enhancements are taken off.

lisa breddy said:
I can't understand how nails can be good when the enhancements are taken off.

Why should nails be sore after removal? Are nails sore when polish is removed?

If the nail plate is prepared perfectly for polish then that preparation should be similar to the cleaning and dehydrating process we do for enhancements. The nail plate should be squeeky clean and dry .. anymore is too much. The surface does not need to be filed away or made any thinner than normal. Exfoliated YES, clean YES, Dry YES but no more than that. If you need to do more than that to make your product stick to the plate then change to a product that requires less aggression to prepare the plate.

Latest posts

Back