Soundproofing a treatment room, DIY savvy geeks your advice is needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeautyRoomClinic

Reaction score
Hi everyone a little help needed...

i currently rent the 1st floor in a well established hairdresser's which includes treatment room, spray tan room, nail bar and my own waiting area. My main problem is the noise from the hairdressers downstairs especially the hairdryer's (one of which has recently started to sound like an aircraft carrier taking off)

My treatment room is the first room when you go up the stairs, when i close the door you can see a gap between the door and door frame i was going to get a door seal to go round it do you think this will help?? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...

i have been doing alot of massage and facials recently and i had a review left online last week saying she found the noise from the hairdressers distracting and this upset me a little even though she said the treatment was lovely and she would recommend, i just want everything to be perfect.... Help Geeks x

I'll be following this thread too as my room can be quiet noisy ;)

me too, sorry im no help but i will be looking into this

Had I known that the vet business next door had overnight boarding and kennels for dogs I'd have found a different place in a heartbeat, however I am here now and I have just started my 5 yr lease ughh.
I am looking into putting up empty egg cartons allover the separating wall, between our businesses and then draping the entire wall in fabric to match my decor. I hear egg cartons are really good at soundproofing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not easy. Soundproofing can only be down by heavy fibreglassing in the walls etc normally. There are ways and means but none of which are cheap.

I wouldn't go for a cheap solution purely because it probably won't work and be money wasted. Best saving and getting it done properly.

When we had our dividing walls put up, I asked for soundproofing. We have 2 small rooms, and the wall goes between them. We used special sound proofed/treated plasterboard and thick wadding and when someone loud is next door, you can still hear them. The wall is about a foot thick!

Everywhere I have worked, apart from my home salon many years ago, has had noise problems! We try and keep an eye on bookings, so if someone wants a brazilian, you might book the facial next door for just after it lol!!!

I would love to hear of any suggestions for effective soundproofing. I did google it ages ago, and there seemed to be a company that could do it well!

Vicki x

I may be going crazy but I'm sure I heard somewhere that egg boxes between the walls is good.

When building my beauty rooms we tried to soundproof them but unfortunately it didn't work.

I would imagine that as it is coming from downstairs then you need something on the floor to absorb the sound. Would rugs help?

Reduce the door gap
Heavy curtain across door too
Rugs on floor
Offer to replace dodgy hair dryer/s
Music in your room
Indoor water fountain

....any soft furnishings will help to muffle the noise, but there's only so much that you can do.

i have also heard about the egg boxes

I'm definitely getting the door gap sorted i never thought about a rug i may have to get one and see if it helps. I play music in the room which drowns it out a little

A thick curtain/blanket over the door is a good one. And one of those draught things to put at the bottom of the door can help, placing music speakers in selective places with in the room for your music to be more surround sound.

A thick curtain/blanket over the door is a good one. And one of those draught things to put at the bottom of the door can help, placing music speakers in selective places with in the room for your music to be more surround sound.

yea i was thinking about a draft excluder too,.....oh i think its makeover time :D

You can get some gorgeous draught excluders now!

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I too suffer with a loudish room. I share a wall with a stairwell and some people are pure elephants! The walls are paper thin meaning zero to hardly no insulation in the walls between offices.

A friend of mine was setting up a music studio recently and had the exact same problem. I remember looking into the egg boxes theory and it doesnt seem like it would really work. Heres a brilliant (although a bit old) four part article we were reading...
Practical Studio Soundproofing, Part 1

Latest posts

Back