Spectacle lenses and the effects of chemicals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsbydesign

Gadget Geek
Reaction score
I have bought 2 new pairs of glasses recently that have different lenses in them. One pair have just normal plastic lenses but the other have carbon fibre ones...I wasnt told when I bought them that they were both different. I have had to take the carbon fibre ones back twice now as very small stress fractures have appeared around the edge of the lenses where they sit in the frame. This time they queried if I come in contact with any chemiclas at work, as these apparently can affect the carbon fibre lenses!!!! :eek: I told them that I am a nail technician but that I wear a different specially designed pair while I am actually doing the application (they have shown no problems), they are still wondering though if the fact that the ones with the carbon fibre lenses are in the salon even thought I am not wearing them means they could still be affected by any vapours in the air, they also queried what I used to clean my glasses. I dont think the vapours are the reason but they seem to think they might be.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their glasses developing stress fractures and if so what do they think caused it???? :eek:

Sounds strange. If they are saying that the vapours from your product could be contributing to the fractures then what other chemicals in day to day life could also be contributing?
I would ask them to test out theri theory but in the mean time give you a new pair of glasses whilst you wait for the results

do you mean polycarbonate lenses??? the ones that have more flexibility in them??
are they in rimless frame or half rimless, or full frame?

louge said:
Sounds strange. If they are saying that the vapours from your product could be contributing to the fractures then what other chemicals in day to day life could also be contributing?
I would ask them to test out theri theory but in the mean time give you a new pair of glasses whilst you wait for the results

They are replacing the lenses for the second time but are now looking for reasons for the problem. I think it is a lab problem and that the lenses have not been cut down enough and are in too tight!!!!

lotus blossom said:
do you mean polycarbonate lenses??? the ones that have more flexibility in them??
are they in rimless frame or half rimless, or full frame?
They are full frame titanium ones ( I am allergic to nickle so have to be careful with metal frames) they just called the lenses carbon fibre.

Latest posts

Back