Split Nail (natural)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtips

Reaction score
Hi

I need some help. I did a fibreglass overlay to help a split nail grow
out and the fibreglass was on the nail for 4 weeks and the natural nail split again according to the client (who is a man in his 40’s). I got another guy who wants to sort his split nail out he has had for 30 years and I am worried to whether I should or not?

Why is this not working and how come its men who are mainly with the split natural nails? Why does it come back again?

I am confused!

A split in a nail is usually because the nail is damaged, usually at the cuticle area and it can start off as a furrow on the nail and then splits as it gets to the free edge.

You did the right thing as far as I can see by trying to cap it, but really there's nothing that can be done except keep the nail short.

cheers karen

part of me thinks he has been picking at it! i did advise to file the nail instead of using nail clippers so he doesnt cause further damage.

maybe it needs an overlay with something a little stronger than fiberglass?you know how hevy handed men can be? (and women too ;) ) maybe gel or l&p ? dosent have to be thick or shinny , but maybe as he is useing his hands ect its putting pressuer on it to still split? also could take 6 months or more fore full regrow,
also im not sure if file would be the best way to keep short , the rockin motion may cause it to come apart again?

whats his job is he hard on his hands/nails?

My cousin has a split right down the centre of her thumb nail which never grows out!! She went to see the doctor about it and was told she would have to have her whole nail removed to get it to grow normally again.

I might be wrong but i think you can sometimes get permanent damage to the nail bed and this causes the nail to grow incorrectly (with a split etc) i dont know if applying and overlay would ever be able to cure that sort of damage, only strengthen the affected area.

Hopefully someone will correct me if i've got this wrong but it may be that the nail bed is permanently damaged??

HTH

My cousin has a split right down the centre of her thumb nail which never grows out!! She went to see the doctor about it and was told she would have to have her whole nail removed to get it to grow normally again.

I might be wrong but i think you can sometimes get permanent damage to the nail bed and this causes the nail to grow incorrectly (with a split etc) i dont know if applying and overlay would ever be able to cure that sort of damage, only strengthen the affected area.

Hopefully someone will correct me if i've got this wrong but it may be that the nail bed is permanently damaged??

HTH

This is correct yes. Capping the nail would help as it would stop the nail from getting caught in things and would look a lot better too.

Usually if the Matrix is injured a furrow will appear in the nail and depending on the injury, the worse the injury the deeper the furrow, this can then split as it's so deep. It's usually permanent

Hi

I have had a split nail due to trapping it in a heavy door as a child.....no matter what overlay I put on it, it still splits at the free edge.... the overlay just seems to protect it for a short time.

Thanks

Angela

This is correct yes. Capping the nail would help as it would stop the nail from getting caught in things and would look a lot better too.

Usually if the Matrix is injured a furrow will appear in the nail and depending on the injury, the worse the injury the deeper the furrow, this can then split as it's so deep. It's usually permanent

oh good. i'm glad i wasnt talking rubbish! Sorry, i've just noticed you posted earlier saying pretty much the same thing i did!!! i must read more carefully in future.... or i'll have to change my name to polly parrot :lol:

Thank you all for your replies

We work in the construction industry – hes more a paper person then to be on site. I know he bites his nails.

Thank you for your suggestions – I was thinking of a thinking of a small gel overlay but weren’t sure if it would work.

ok this may help. my cousin was doing some diy like you do lol
and hit her nail hard with a hammer,. ouchhhhhh well it split the nail from the matrix to the middle of the nail bed, it then when black and fell off. NOW her nail grows with a deep ridge thats constantly splits
so your guys might have done somthing simular, so its somtimes permenant
:cry::lol::lol:

My husband has a permanent split in one of his nails due to an accident with it years ago. It catches on things, so I keep it very short and put an overlay on it. At first I tried fibreglass, but it didn't wear terribly well and so now I do one in l&p, which lasts much better. He has long nail beds and so I still build a small apex, as without it they tended to crack a little sometimes. He's really chuffed with the difference, has no problems and will remind me when it's due to be redone. :)

Latest posts

Back