Split nail with Shellac on very long nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essential Bliss

Reaction score
Hi all :)
I have a client who comes in for shellac. He is a cross dresser who's natural nails are a good inch and a half long and very strong! I would upload a pic but on phone atm so if I get chance later I will.

He caught one of the nails right low and it has split partway across the nail bed,it did bleed and it looks painful,obviously I can't really see what's happening underneath at the minute.
Where the nail has split its lifting up so not completely smooth.

My concern is,if I soak the shellac off this nail to see the damage underneath,is this a good idea with the acetone And it possibly getting onto the nail bed? Sorry if sounds bit stupid question lol.
I've also said he will need to take the length down but he really doesn't want that,so I need to work on him a bit more for that lol.
But could I do a gel overlay to hold it? And as the nail is lifting up and the split,would I be able to keep that held down?

Haven't ever come across this situation so am quite stuck :-(

Sorry for the long post and thanks who got this far reading lol

Kayleigh xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Hi. I have had this before so I got some silk and cut it to cover whole nail. I then gluesd split and let dry then put silk on and saturated it in Shellac base. I Tgen cured it for 2mins. I then applied second coat and cured for 2mins. I then wiped the sticky layer off and just gently buffed and made sure there was no rough bits! I then scrub freshed and then did Shellac as normal including that nail (so I put on base as usual on that nail and cured for 10secs) not sure if I did the right thing but it held for 2 and a half weeks until the next visit. Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

You may have to make the repair a bit stronger for a nail this long if you want it to hold.

I would clean it, disinfect it, glue it closed, and then I would make an acrylic 'bandage' over the split and with enough overlap on the rest of the nail plate to secure the strength. Blend all the edges smooth and then re-Shellac. It will be stronger than silk and Shellac.

That's great thank you both for your help :)

Will do the acrylic as can imagine this will be stronger if he is really adament not to take the length down!

I will do this tomorrow and let You no how it goes :)

Kayleigh xx

Just to update :) I done the method geeg suggested and It's worked perfectly. I done it Tuesday and called again yesterday to check everything was okay and all still perfect :)
Very happy!! Thank you again for everyone's help x

Latest posts

Back