Spray Gun Dripping and Leaking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you probably only need a new cup or seal, u can get these for around a fiver a cup which isnt that cheap, however if you'r machine is under warrenty then the company that sold it you have to give these you foc! best thing to do is ring the company you got it from x

Just bear in mind that suppliers,quiet rightly,will only replace genuine faulty items....lets be realistic needles don't just damage themselves and "O" rings don't get crushed all by themselves.
Your supplier ,quiet rightly,may ask you to send the "faulty" gun in for inspection and if the fault is simply because its done it all on its own then they should replace FOC.
If the fault has occurred through misuse,quiet rightly,you could well get charged.
HTH

well they used to! it was your predecessors who quoted me! lol :lol:

Hi Sweetie,

I have a minimist and I keep having the same problems. because the seals are plastic and not rubber, if you screw the pots on too tightly they squeeze the seal and cause a permanent ridge which then stops the pots sealing properly causing the leaking when you turn your machine on. Also if you screw your pots on too tightly you can crack the thread at the top of the bottles causing a hole!
The spraytansupermarket sell seals and new pots.
Hope this helps

I had the same problem but my gun is 4 year old and ive just replaced mine. but I only paid 40 quid for my gun, and it works like a dream. my hubby got it for me so not a clue where he got it from and he paid for it so im happy!!!!

I spray for a living although not bodys but im guessing your gun is no different in design than the guns I use for spraying joinery. Guns and particularly the seals can be very tempermental you can over tighten as well as undertighten,either way they will leak. All the answers given are a possibilitys and i would suggest you start with the cheapest option first which is to throughly clean the gun.

If you have already taken the gun apart i would suggest looking at the manual just to check all the seals are infact there. Some of them can be very small and it is easy to unwittingly drop and lose them when taking the gun apart if you are not carefull.

I would be slightly wary of sanding the tip of the needle as this is suppose to sit snuggly into the inner cap and create a perfect seal when the lever
is released. If you start sanding the tip of the needle you may affect the seal between the two components and make matters worse.

I will add that some times I get very small build up of pigment particles which lodge themselves between the needle tip and the seat of the inner cap which affects the seal between the two components thus causing leaks. This is easily solved by cleaning.

Another cause of leaking at the tip is due the the return spring either losing its tension or maybe the nut which presses the spring against the needle pin shoulder is not tight enough.

If its leaking from the cap I agree with Angaline be sure to tighten the cap correctly again over tightening can distort the lid and affect the seal between cup and lid.

The tape one of the other guys mentioned is called PTFE tape its what plumbers use to seal compression joints. It can be purchased from any good DIY Shop (Homebase, Focus etc) It's ok but to be honest you should need to use it to overcome this problem.

If it's any consulation to you professional beauticians my sprayguns cost any where from £500 upwards. Like any equipment you do need to look after them and maintain them.

Sorry for the long epilog but hope it helps.

Just out of interest i thought i would call my suppliers and see how much they charged for a needle.
They don't sell needles on their own i was informed! So, i would have to buy a whole replacement gun at a cost of £165.
Oh well they did agree to send me a new lid for my cup free of charge. Will just have to remember not to tighten it too much this time!

I got my lid this morning! How quick was that? Not only that but there was a cup attached to it as well! Oh am in shock-a completely free new cup and lid-well done Sunquest!
Note to self-don't put the lid on too tight!

Latest posts

Back