Spray Tan Cocktails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I promote the other way round....
Anyone asking to go on the sunbed - I ask if they would like to upgrade to a cocktail?
People often use sunbeds when they have heard of or had a bad experience with uv free tanning.
This way they still get their snbed fix they came in for but also get a taste of the spray tan too and are usually hooked. A few have decided upon just the spray now too.

I was a sunbed user but takes too long to get a good colour and if i was going on them alot to build colour i did worry. But i do like the extra bit of colour i get from cocktails though... I also tend to get spots on my chest and back and the sunbed helps get rid.

I don't ask a spray tan client if they would like to go on the bed too...
I do the spray tans in the salon and i'm on a self employed basis. Selling UV mins doesn't benefit me unless it's to convert a uv user.

I do think you can tell the difference with a cocktail. I usually rotate it having a spray one week and a cocktail the next time..
I have tried to research it and asked my trainer who said it was fine to do it but other than that there isn't a great deal of info.

It seems to be huge in america by the look if salon websites over there but i don't believe in the claims that it...

"opens all the pores for deeper colour"
"bakes in the soloution for a 2-3 week tan" :eek:

"stimulates the tanning solution"

Does anyone have them? Can't be just me!

Its not going to make a difference to the spray tanh itself - except that you might go darker or the spray tan 'seems' to last longer but thats just because the clients base colour is getting darker from the solarium.

It doesnt stimulate the solution or make it go deeper into pores - all a sp0ray tan does is 'stain' the surface dead layer of skin.

Just sounds like a good way to get skin cancer if you ask me :rolleyes:

Hi Theresa,
as you have asked for some tecno stuff on this issue here goes...I was previously heavily involved in the UV tanning sectors and was MD of the largest distribtor of UV lamps in Europe and during this time have also been heavily involved in spraytanning in its early days so can speak from both perspectives.

The "cocktail" thing does in fact apear to assist both applications.

Firstly lets clear up one issue...UV tanning is safe and highly benificial in not only improving apearance of the skin colour but also inner wellness..we all need the sun..the problem has been that UV tanning has seriously been abused by manufacturers and tanners alike with far to strong sunbeds being manufactured and customers utolising these machines far to often.(one glass of red wine is great..a whole bottle a night is potentially dangerouse)
The benifits of safe UV tanning are proven in science...abuse has been the problem.A little of something in adition to the immediate benifits is good for the imune system also...much like in the way a vaccination works..there is proven scientific studies undertaken in Australia where the skin cancer rate has actually increased as a result of the problems with the Austrailians going completly undercover from the sun following the ozone layer problems...I.E. they were hiding from the sun so the skin had no defence whatsoever when exposed....much the same way as when you first hit the beach on holiday..to much sun on the first day makes for a very sore holiday and potential skin cancer issues...a little slowly is however enjoyable as well as safe.
So back to the issue...yes by going on the sunbed before a spray tan opens the pores of the skin allowing the DHA to penetrate deeper and therefore provides a longer lasting even tan which also fades better...this process works far better if you use a spray liquid with as little colour dye as possible..its the colour dye that clogs the skin pores and therefore blocks the DHA path into the skin through the pores..also possibly resulting in flaking,patches and uneven fading effects.
There is also a thought that due to the mild sweating that comes from the initial UV treatment that the sweat acts as a PH leveler to the skin surface therefore also aiding the DHA outcome...(It is in fact far better for your clients to not have showered before being sprayed as the skin is likley to be more PH neutral this way as showering using soaps etc can give a high PH level to the skins surface-so smelly customers stand a chance of a far better spraytan result than a clean client ;0))I understand that most females skins are more alkaline than that of males so therefore the PH leveling of the sweat certainly could aid the spraytan outcome-again by not showering sweat helps to level PH so back to the doirty customers being the best.
Do NOT use any sunbed cream if you are thinking of doing this "cocktail" as the cream will mearly clog the pores and therefore defeat the whole purpose of the excercise.also do not overdo the UV treatment..remember the beach on your first day on holiday
Hoping my woffel helps in some way......

Solariums are not safe, and cannot be compared to getting a little sun. They emit rays that are 10 times stronger than the midday sun in summer in Australia!

One time could give you skin cancer. People are dying from them here and no one will go in them anymore, they are dangerous.

The only people that say otherwise is those making a buck out of it. The anti cancer foundation here in Australia gives this warning

"The message is simple - using a solarium for even a small amount of time can increase your chances of developing skin cancer."" What do people not understand about this? Here in Australia, the effects of uva and uvb exposure are well known, i would never step foot in a cancer bed myself, i thinks its madness

Once again, the solarium is NOT going to make the DHA seep deeper into pores etc. It only 'stains' the surface layer of skin so solarium use has no effect on the actual spray tan itself.

Solariums are not safe, and cannot be compared to getting a little sun. They emit rays that are 10 times stronger than the midday sun in summer in Australia!

One time could give you skin cancer. People are dying from them here and no one will go in them anymore, they are dangerous.

Speaking from the perspective of reality and from someone who does'nt make money from sunbeds (anymore) but who has extensive experiance in this feild the facts of the matter are.

1) Without UV we all will die ...with a reduced UV intake (Victorian London when the sun was blocked out) we will (children in particular) suffer from ailments such as rickets and general ill health...with to much UV exposure we will increase the aging process of our skin and risk skin cancer issues...a balance has to be met for optimum human welbeing.

2) in countires where UV exposure (be it natural or by public opinion-Australia)is low skin cancer rates are higher than in countries where the sun shines all day (Africa/Equator)..this is a scientific proven fact...exposure helps build the bodies natural emune system weather be it UV or malaria.

3)Sales of sunbeds and replacement sunbed lamps have over the last 5 years reduced by some 60%+ due to media coverage and public opinion on the over usage ,abuse and dangers of UV sunbeds.

4) Legislation is due to hit which will enforce "sensible" tanning..probably to little to late but never the less at least a safer enviroment for UV lovers than previously existed.

5)Even given the demise of UV uptake by the consumer over the last 5 years we are begining to now see a recovery and more are returning to the sunbed..good or bad is a matter of opinion?

6) Sunbeds if abused are highly dangerouse however if used correctly can benift the user considerably both physically and from a sence of wellbeing.

7) In terms of the cocktail issue ..there is no scienticfic evidence or tangible explenation/proof of weather this actually works...the facts of the matter are that like sunbeds opinions matter and many many endusers and salons beleive that there is a benifit to this proceedure...who are we to contradict them?

These comments are a matter of observation and not opinion:hug:

Sorry Collin but with reference to your points I just wanted to say in reference to number 1.

We need only be in the daylight for 5 to 10 mins at midday on a summers day with 15% of our bodies exposed for enough vitamin D to be produced and this can be done with Sun Screen on!

Safer than a sun bed would be a vitamin substitute or a balanced diet and the Vitamin D is stored in our fatty tissue to see us through the winter. Plus UVB gives you vitamin D not UVA and most sun beds are primarily UVA. Tanning beds also have higher levels of UV than you are usually exposed to.

In reference to point 2. The highest rates are also in both Africa and Australia so whether one is slightly higher than the other is irrelevant! People in Australia have less melanin in their skin than people in Africa natural melanin that is present from birth offers some degree of protection as it absorbs UV providing a 10% better protection. It is a fallacy that a tan builds up good protection, it's somewhere between factor 2 and 4 a tan is just an indication that damage has been done.

Point 3. means people are finally waking up :hug:

Point 4. No tan is a safe tan:eek:

Point 5. Tanning salons are convincing some people that the machines will no longer damage their skin.

Point 6. There are other safer way to feel good without getting a fatal disease! A nice massage and a spray tan for example!

Point 7. I think spray tans should be promoted as the safe alternative.:)

Sorry to sound argumentative but I feel really strongly about this x :hug:

The world health organisation says no to sunbeds and that's enough for me!

I agree. A FAKE TAN IS THE ONLY SAFE TAN!!!

I think there really is no contest that a spraytan is a safe tan :hug: however this thread is about spraytan cocktails and do they work etc..

There definatley does apear to be a posative outcome when a spraytan is used in conjunction with UV exposure despite the fact there is no scientific explination or any known logic behind it.

Opinions aside the fact of the matter is that this practice is in demand by both the end user consumer as well as by some salons who have clearly identified the demand and who now service it.

On the issue of UV exposure ..again it is a matter of scientific fact that UV is something that we all need and that can benifit us if used correctly(weather it be from daylight exposure or via a sunbed)....indeed UV is used in hospitals for the treatment of many skin complaints and many millions of Nail techs across the globe use UV when hardening gel/acrylic nails...they certainly do not have any risk of exposure to skin cancer:hug:.

Clearly it is therefore not nessesarily the UV itself that is dangerouse but us humans who for whatever reason have over exposed and abused UV via sunbed treatments being offered .

Legislation is due to come into force which will both reduce the possibilities of over exposure and make those that offer the service far more acountable than they are today....which is a good thing

This legislation will make the maximum output from sunbeds at about as effective as sticking your head out of the window on a sunny day..again good news.

To bring this back to the spraytan cocktail thread....once legislation is enforced there will be a need for salons who offer UV tanning to also offer spraytanning (because UV output limits will be greatly reduced therefore making the sunbed far less effective)and therefore the spraytan cocktail becomes a reality.(scientifically proven or not)

Again these points are not a matter of my opinion but mearly one of what apears to be happening out there :hug:

Latest posts

Back