spray tan help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickypie82

Reaction score
Ok so I was having problems the other week with overspray and was advised to turn the gun down. I turned my maximist really low but tested on couch roll that some was coming out. My model ended up with no colour at all! Turned it up again yesterday and got so much over spray, I managed to tan my own feet and hand?! Please help as I am worried I'm going to tan someones furniture.....on the plus my tans (when they have actually got colour) are coming out a fab colour and really even...I am using OMG solution....please help?! I am using 40 mls per person roughly xxx

Ok so I was having problems the other week with overspray and was advised to turn the gun down. I turned my maximist really low but tested on couch roll that some was coming out. My model ended up with no colour at all! Turned it up again yesterday and got so much over spray, I managed to tan my own feet and hand?! Please help as I am worried I'm going to tan someones furniture.....on the plus my tans (when they have actually got colour) are coming out a fab colour and really even...I am using OMG solution....please help?! I am using 40 mls per person roughly xxx

Where have you got your nozzle placed? 6 oclock is usually the norm.
hth

Sam x

Can u not get in touch with your trainer for advice and see if they can help?? That's what your trainers are there for.

try giving it a good flush through with warm water and changing the filter on the back. us geeks are here to help aswell an we all try our best too but if any of our ideas dont work try ringing your trainer as she may be able to help better x

When you say your model ended up with no colour at all do you mean during the tan or did it still not develope the day after- reason I ask is that on some solutions when I turn the dial right down the tan isnt as dark when im spraying as using less solution but always still develops into a fab tan by the next day- also how open was ur dial, may be you just had it closed a tad too much?

As for overspray its driving me batty aswell- I am confident with my technique and gun setting and still use about 50ml solution per tan but if I do anymore that 3 in a row there is noticable over spray- I did 12 in a row the other night and it was awful the room was all misty and solution settled on worktops/window surrounds and all over the floor but to be fair was a rather small room with no windows for ventilation

god i wasnt shown anything to do with filters...where do I find/how do i change/ them? My model got no colour the next day either....I really dont understand how?! Also I just got a text from the girls I did last nite saying they dont have much colour either...and I used 16%...every one else has come out really dark so I really dont understand...maybe ill see if I can go back to my trainers taking my kit and I can see how it works for them! thanks guys xx

At the front of the Maxisist gun there is a spray direction bar.
The bar should be set with the stuck out line pointing at 12 & 6 (on a clock) to spray up and down and set at 3 & 9 if you spray side to side. Changing where that bar is changes the shape of the spray coming out of your gun.

When you set the dial at the back of the gun you should be turning it from 12 o'clock back to about 8 or 7 o'clock.

Your clients that did not changing colour was caused by your gun being set too low and you have not applied enough solution to them.

You should be aiming to use no more than 75ml on each client 35ml -50ml is normal usage so if you set the back dial to 7 o'clock (thats the highest you should really go with the gun) you will prob use between 50ml & 75ml per tan and if you spray up and down and your front dail is set 12 & 6 then you should be doing ok.

If you do a tan with this setting and your using more than 50ml then you should turn the back dial towards 8 o'clock (when you turn this dial you only ever turn it in teeny tiny bits as it's very sensitive) when your tanning people and using between 40ml & 50ml and your tans are turning out great your gun is set correctly.

thanks so much... hopefully tomorrows one goes better!!

Great reply baggybear!

Hiya...

I had this problem myself!
I brought a new Maximist 5008 and the company sent it to me with the correct settings, the tans come out a bit lighter but was still ok.

My boyfriend accidentally messed the dial up so I turned the dial fully closed and set it to a quarter of a turn like everyone suggests. Tested it on a couch roll and it came out fine.

My boyfriend then spray tanned me with a 12% and I couldnt see much difference at all (I was telling him to stand quite far back)

I then did a tan on him, an 8% and stood much closer than I had been telling him too, he realised this and told me. He ended up darker than I did.

Day before yesterday my Mum tanned me and I wasnt showing up so I turned the dial up slightly.

Although everyone suggested the quarter, I am yet to make this work for me. Im obviously going to have to practise but for now either stand closer or turn the dial slightly x

Although everyone suggested the quarter, I am yet to make this work for me. Im obviously going to have to practise but for now either stand closer or turn the dial slightly x

A quater turn would be 9 o'clock I find the gun works best set somewhere between 8 & 7 o'clock (depending on the solution used) so you need to turn your gun up a bit more.

I have trialed loads and loads of solutions and each solution has a tiny difference in the best setting because of how thick/runny it is but that is not really relevant to this post.

Your gun will work it's best set somewhere between 7 & 8 o'clock and it needs such a teeny tiny twist to make a huge difference to the amount of solution it allows through.

A full body tan should be using anything upto 75ml for a beginner. If your using less than 40ml you will probably not get much of a coulour change (if any colour change at all) after washing off.

You should be aiming to use around 50ml per tan and you should be holding the gun about 6 inches away from the body.

If your too far away you will be wasting solution by spraying too wide an area and so not enough solution is going onto each area of the skin so they will not go as dark as they should.

If you spray too close you will get too much solution in one place and could turn your client orange because of DHA overload.

Baggybear I only use 25ml - 30mls of solution and all my tans turn out a lovely colour and have enough solution on the body if I was to use 40ml-50mls my clients would be so wet they would have to stand awhile to dry off or there would be alot of overspray. What you also have to take in to account is the skin type as well when spraying people. I can spray my daughter the same solution as I do myself and she turns out darker in fact did her on Thursday the same colour I always have and she went darker than usual due to her having been abroad lately and she already had a light colouring.

Baggybear I only use 25ml - 30mls of solution and all my tans turn out a lovely colour and have enough solution on the body if I was to use 40ml-50mls my clients would be so wet they would have to stand awhile to dry off or there would be alot of overspray. What you also have to take in to account is the skin type as well when spraying people. I can spray my daughter the same solution as I do myself and she turns out darker in fact did her on Thursday the same colour I always have and she went darker than usual due to her having been abroad lately and she already had a light colouring.

I am talking to beginners who are having trouble, not those who have mastered the art and tequnique of spraying, so my solution amounts are relevant to them - I do say that anywhere between 35ml and 75ml is ok.

Once they get the hang of setting the gun and where to stand etc.. they will be able to turn the gun down a little by little until they are getting the best tan with the smallest amount of solution.

I was told by my educator if less than 35ml is applied to a full body there is not enough DHA on the skin to get the full benefit and the colour change would be less because there needs to be a certain amount of DHA per square inch of the skin.

I do not doubt that you get great tans and you use the amount your saying as not all information given by educators is 100% accurate but I stand by what I said above because these are new tanners who are struggling and to tell them to aim to use as little as 25ml and get a good result is asking an awful lot.

jt reading ure post i had the exact same issoue to with this machine what ive managed to find is that when ure applying the tan on the client move the gun closer to client skin so its a couple of inches away from surface it stops a majority of the overspray and tan adheres better to clients skin as it ha less distance to travel takes a bit of getting use too but makes a big difference to air xxx:green:

jt reading ure post i had the exact same issoue to with this machine what ive managed to find is that when ure applying the tan on the client move the gun closer to client skin so its a couple of inches away from surface it stops a majority of the overspray and tan adheres better to clients skin as it ha less distance to travel takes a bit of getting use too but makes a big difference to air xxx:green:

Hi, maybe it's just a difference of opinion but 2 inches away from the client is too close. I usually spray about 6 inches away for an 'even' tan
:)

Sam x

I'm having problems with my 5008 too, which i received today and tried for first time tonight... Any advice would be great....a feeling a lil sad :(

Assumed it came with correct settings (got it from OMG) so started spraying friends back and ended up with thick stripes going across, not a fine mist at all.
So turned the dial closed then reopened 1/4 turn as suggested here - then hardly anything was coming out so kept hand on trigger as was confused why nothing was coming out then all of a sudden a big splodge did!!!.. how can nothing come out then a big amount does just by holding trigger and not changing anything........

So i read instructions which confused me even more and decided to tighten the gold screw but that hasnt changed anything... Needle looks to be slightly sticking out when trigger not pressed, then pressing trigger makes needle disappear, is this normal??

Is it me...or the machine...or?? :(

Also, i know you are meant to use 50ml for a full body but how much do you actually putting in the bottle?? I put 50ml in tonight and did back & back of legs and gun had nearly stopped spraying already...
xxx

I'm having problems with my 5008 too, which i received today and tried for first time tonight... Any advice would be great....a feeling a lil sad :(

Assumed it came with correct settings (got it from OMG) so started spraying friends back and ended up with thick stripes going across, not a fine mist at all.
So turned the dial closed then reopened 1/4 turn as suggested here - then hardly anything was coming out so kept hand on trigger as was confused why nothing was coming out then all of a sudden a big splodge did!!!.. how can nothing come out then a big amount does just by holding trigger and not changing anything........

So i read instructions which confused me even more and decided to tighten the gold screw but that hasnt changed anything... Needle looks to be slightly sticking out when trigger not pressed, then pressing trigger makes needle disappear, is this normal??

Also, i know you are meant to use 50ml for a full body but how much do you actually putting in the bottle?? I put 50ml in tonight and did back & back of legs and gun had nearly stopped spraying already...
xxx

Are you sure nothing was spraying out when you changed to a quarter turn? If the lighting isnt great sometimes you can't see the mist.
Try practicing on some couch roll before to test it. If you're using 50mls on the back of the legs then it's definitely set too high .
good luck

xxx

Did your trainer not show you how to set up your machine when you were trained???
You should only open your flow screw at the back a quarter turn or at the most to twenty to (if looking at a clock) pull the solution through on to some couch roll. you have to give the gun chance to pick up the solution especailly if the machine is new.

I only use 30mls of solution at the most for a full body but always put more in the cup so that the take up tube is in the solution. if you use 50mls and only put that in the cup the take up tube wont be in the solution towards the end of spraying so no solution will come out if you understand what i mean rofl. :)

I have a T200 and a couple of days ago it seemed blocked and was tanning intermittently. I took it all apart and cleaned the gun, filter etc, sprayed warm water through it - nothing worked!! After a while my hubby figured it out...the 'suck-up' tube from the tan into the gun wasn't pushed in tight... Now it's fine!!! I'm just wondering if your tube is not fixed right, so not sucking up the tan??

Latest posts

Back