Spray tan help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hiya,

I completed a spray tanning course last week & just received my kit yesterday. The trouble is I purchased completely different tanning products & a different machine to what I trained in (the products I purchased got much better ratings & reviews).

The trouble is I tried to spray my friend last night & it all went horribly wrong. The spray was patchy, then when I adjusted the gun it sprayed & came out too much and some patches began to run so I dabbed them with a mitt and it all went into huge blobs of tan. It was so bad I wanted to cry-it hadn't been that difficult on the course when I had sprayed others! In the end my friend showered it off and luckily this morning as it wasn't on the skin for longer than 20mins it hasn't left her with any unsightly patches! Where am I going wrong geeks?! And why did I find it so much harder???

I should mention I used the Maximist pro XL gun.

Please help geeks :-(

Kaz 💅

First of all don't panic! I'm pretty sure the pro gun is the same as TS20 & older maximist' & 5008's gun. Obviously it is different but is set, cleaned and used the same way. It sounds like your gun needs stripping down and cleaning and that you need to learn how to set it properly. I have this gun and its great once your using it correctly.

I have posted link below which should help you. Also do a search for setting TS20, setting 5008 etc as there are hundreds of old threads which will help you.

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/167996-maximist-ts20-gun-cleaning-set-up-video.html

Thank you! I have a tendency to panic and freak out lol

Will take a look at your link and previous threads :)

Kaz 💅

Also, to add. Did they teach you to do the couch roll test before you spray? That is my lifesaver x

also get in touch with your trainer they should be able to help with the set up of your machine :)

Yes I used the couch roll a lot and tested it constantly when I readjusted it etc but for some reason I just couldn't get it right.

Also I don't think I can go to my original trainer for advice as I purchased a different machine and tanning product (a rival brand!)

Kaz 💅

Turn your gun to the lowest setting, & slowly turn it up, start from there. Better too slow than too quick. Take your time, until you are confident with the machine & your technique. Xx

Thank you, will do. Would you recommend going in straight lines down the body as during my training we were told to spray across the tummy area from L to R or R to L but videos online show spray tanning up to down. Also we were taught to spray diagonally across the thighs and then to spray down from the knee. Again this is different in spray tanning tutorial videos. I'm all very confused!

Kaz 💅

Anyone?!

Kaz 💅

Spray tanning routines are very personal to the therapist I find. I've been on 2 courses and was showed 2 very different ways of tanning.

I use a circular motion which I'm really happy with but I think that's because I use a airbrush rather than a HVLP machine.

I would take the previous advice of starting on the lowest setting on your couch roll and build up until your spray is correct and then practice your movement to see which feels best for you. Also remember you may need to alter the direction of your spray depending on which method you choose to go with.

People spray in all different ways hunni. I spray horizontal and diagonal across legs like you were taught but the therapist who sprays me does vertical. All down to which way your comfortable. My first few tans on friends were not amazing lol but it's all practice.
Good luck and I'm sure you will get the hang of it soon x

Vicki
Aphrodite Style•Beauty•Hair

I do circles on arms as well :)

Vicki
Aphrodite Style•Beauty•Hair

Thank you for your help. I am pleased to say I have done 2 spray tans tonight on my mum and mum in law, taking all the advice everyone on here has given me. They both sprayed perfectly, now I've got the right settings!!!

Also I did wonder if each therapist does have their own method, I was just worried about having 'lines' in the spray tan and making sure it was all blended it and also making sire i didn't miss bits out!

I'm yet to see how the tan develops but I'll see both of the mums tomorrow so fingers crossed on the colour (as I was testing that too!) lol x

Kaz 💅

It just takes practice. I spent a couple of months after my initial training practising on friends and family before I started spraying paying clients.

I use the vertical method of spray tanning but you will find what is best for you. If you use a solution with a guide colour then you will easy be able to spot any missed areas when giving you clients the final check over at the end.

I may give the vertical tanning a go as I've just had a look at my mother in laws tan and noticed her shins aren't as tanned as the rest of her and also on one arm there is a slight line where I haven't blended it well but it's so small that I'm quite pleased with one of my first tans! Maybe the vertical tanning method would be easier to see missed bits and also help me keep to a rhythm and pattern. I shall keep practising!

Thanks geeks :)

Kaz 💅

As others have suggested, practice makes perfect. We always recommend spraying friends and family at least 10 times before you set yourself up with proper paying clients, By this time you'll have a much better idea of what works for you in terms of technique. The most common reason shins end up lighter is because beginners have a tendency to spray further away as they go further down the leg (assuming you started at the thigh). The way you are trained shouldn't be set in a "tablet of stone" it's usually a methodical approach for you to start off with until you understand why you need to be consistent in:
  • the distance you spray from the body
  • speed you spray at
  • not stopping and starting on the body
It's really important you get to see the people you're spraying when starting out as this helps you to see where things might have gone wrong for you.

HTH

Thank you for your advice. You are right about getting further away from the shin. That is exactly what I'm doing wrong and definitely won't be charging for tans until I've completed a few more practise tans. Wouldn't dream of advertising spray tanning and charging when I'm not fully competent.... Just need a few more victims, I mean models he he ;-)

Thanks Again for all your advice xx

Kaz 💅

For the knees just try spraying them using an X motion, that way it should provide full coverage :)

Thank you, will give it a try!

Kaz 💅

Latest posts

Back