Spray Tan question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGirl

Reaction score
I did my spray tan training today, and I think I am hooked. I really enjoyed doing the spraying and also being sprayed.
I am just wondering about one thing though. We all know that to keep the colour going longer and looking nice, we have to moisturise. My question is 'can we use the Johnson's holiday moisturiser, Dove Body Glow etc instead of a normal moisturiser?' Surely the colour in the moisturisers would add to the colour of the spray tan, or would they have a reaction. It'll be great if anyone can answers this for me, as I go away on Thursday and I'd like to keep the colour going for a bit longer.

Thanks
Aylin

I asked this question on my training dad and my trainer said there is absolutly no reason why you shouldnt use these products. She said that companies usually have their own aftercare but if the client wants to use these its fine

I am sure that Johnsons is fine, but I always advise my clients to steer well clear of anything by Dove. Their soaps and shower gels can strip ABTs and can seriously reduce the life of a sunless tan. Their body glow is probably fine as it is basically a self tanner, but I really would not want a client to take the risk until I have actually tried it. I advise clients to use very mild soap products and push baby soaps and moisturisers. I strongly recommend that clients do not use strong soaps and moinsturisers with perfumes AHA's etc. To be on the safe side I'd push the Johnsons stuff and stay well away from anything by dove.

Nothing's ever straight forward, is it?
Dove Body Glow is the one I have at home, and I was very tempted to use it, now I don't know what to do.
One thing though, Dove shower gels are the only ones I can use, as anything else makes me really itchy. So I wonder if the Body Glow would be o.k.
Thanks for your advise girls.

My regular client has started using Johnson's 24 hour body moisturiser and honestly it make her tan look gorgeous.. even after a week it was like newly applied. I have bought some to try out on myself.

Can you not use baby soap? Dove has a seriously bad reputation for stripping DHA based tans :cry:

Hi Robyn

Good to see you here - bit like old times lol, (old sunless.com buddies)!

We have been having some poor reports about Johnsons Holiday Skin when used on a regular basis with a spray tan as the amount of dha in the product will build up and is not good and will result in a patchy tan with poor wear off resembling lizard skin. It contains alchohol and therefore dries the skin more quickly. We have also heard from a local salon in Swansea that a couple of people have been admitted to hospital with severe allergic reactions to it. We will advise more when we are updated.

As you say though, Dove is known to cause spray tans to break down unevenly and have had clients who have had problems with this too.

We have a range of skin care products suited for spray tans and the Hawaiian Seaweed Extract bodywash is my favourite - gentle, colour safe, moisturising and doesn't strip my tan - I use it everyday!

Mandy

Be really careful when using the Johnsons one on feet and toes, it can go streaky. Try to blend from the lower leg x

Now I am getting worried. I think I'll leave the Body Glow alone (more money wasted), but seriously Dove shower gel is the best one for me. However I am trying out the Johnsons shower gel now, and it seems o.k, but I'll keep my eye on it.

I have one client who had an allergy to the Johnsons Holiday Skin...but no problems with a spray tan.

That's because the ingredients in the two are so different, we have very few people who are allergic to our solution and products because of the Natural ingredients in them.

Of course people can get allergies to natural ingredients, you only have to see the hayfever sufferers -to realise that but its when you start looking at the ingredient lables on products and see all the chemicals - it's no wonder many break out in allergies.

My skin has become so sensitive over recent years I have to be very careful what I use on it hence I go for natural wherever I can!

Mandy

Cathie! said:
I have one client who had an allergy to the Johnsons Holiday Skin...but no problems with a spray tan.

I tried Johnsons holiday skin when it first came out, before I had started spray tanning, and it brought eczema out in me so badly that my hands were actually bleeding from cracked skin.

Spray tanning however doesn affect it all...in fact my skin looks better with a tan and I rarely get breakouts anymore.

Latest posts

Back