Spray Tan Worry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrinew16

Reaction score
Hello, I completed my spray tan training with Sienna X in March 2010 and since then I have sprayed countless happy clients.

I ran out of barrier cream this morning and I won't be going to the wholesalers until tomorrow.

I had 2 ladies booked in for today, so I decided to use a little petroleum jelly as barrier cream. I have seen this suggested on here before so I thought it would be fine.

I sprayed my first lady & used just a little bit of the Petroleum Jelly. Her tan went on well. At the end of her tan I double checked her and I noticed that her knees were turning white. By the time I was leaving, her thighs we're going White in patches too! :-(( I have never seen anything like it!!

I sprayed my second lady using the petroleum jelly & she was fine. The tan looked perfect!

I'm confused! :-( please help!! Xx

Petrolium jelly is a total barier to tanning solution so anywhere you have applied it will not tan at all.

You should have used a moisturiser on knees, elbows etc and the only place for petrolium jelly is fingernails, toenails & palms - any area you want to stay white.

Oh ok :-((

The second lady was fine, so that's good! The first lady was my friend, so it's not too much of a problem!

Thanks xx

I doubt the tan will take where the petrolium jelly was used even if the guide looks ok because petrolium jelly creates a film over the area that is water resistant and so the solution will sit ontop of that instead of soaking through it and getting onto the skin so the DHA can react with the amino acids on the skin.

I'm really sorry to say this but I think you'll be getting a call to fix white bits tomorrow.

I'm not so worried about my first lady, she is my friend and it was a freebie. It wasn't for a special occasion and she has been really happy with the results of my other tans, so I'm sure she will understand my mistake.

The other lady was a trial for a wedding. She is a bridesmaid. I explained all of the prep details well in advance and gave her a prep card to refer too. Even so, she hadn't done anything on the list and said that she isn't worried if it doesn't look perfect, she just wants to see a rough guide of the colour. I was a little shocked, because nobody has ever taken that attitude to a tan before, but fingers crossed it will work in my favour!

Well I stand corrected. You live & learn!

Thanks Baggy Bear xxx

Latest posts

Back